Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Trying To Strip All Paint Off Front Bumper

Hi guys,

Ive got a styling kit on my car, and the front bumper is starting to flake. It started off as a few stone chips, but now its coming off in chunks so don't know whether it was prep properly. It was a Lexus fitted one from new??? I don't its covered by the paintwork warranty. I've found someone who'l spray it for me, I'd just rather do the prep myself to save money and so I know its not rushed. I dont want to just key up the existing paint cos It might just all fall back off again, so need to take it all off. Anyone know of a good way? I think media blasting may be a bit to harsh, and to sad it off will take forever. Are there any products that will strip paint but not eat the plastic?

Thanks guys

Gazza

Check the paint warranty 1st, no point in paying for sumthing if you can get under waranty, then its up to them to strip it back or replace the shole bumper if its not cost effective to strip.

Theres lots of different blasting methods that could be used. Sand would obviously be too harsh and damage the plastic, but ive heard of (pea?)nut shells (crushed I assume) being used to good effect on more delicate surface finishes. I would imagine a good paint shop could advise.

if its been keyed up well enough then there will be no easy way... just grab yourself some thinners and a blade and start picking it away.... its a nightmare job unless its not been preped well enough... i had a job one time that hadnt been keyed up and i jetwashed the paint off :lol:

Think paint is 6 years, but as I found on my IS200 sports it's difficult to get them to agree to anything, they will always say it's caused by the stone chips. But if that is the case no paint around the stone chips should come loose, if it does then it should be warranty.

I think it should be covered by warranty too - but I have stripped down a styling kit bumper before, it took me a whole day to sand it off by hand, but it was worth it as I knew it was done properly.

Can't remember what grade I used, just went to Halfords and asked the guy and he gave me a few to work through.......

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links