Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Trd Aurion - The Most Powerful Front Wheel Drive Car In The World

maneesh

Launched late in 2007.

Australian version of the Camry, 323bhp going via the front wheels. Interesting to hear that Oz is the only country where they have a TRD brand for new cars.

toyota_aurion_1.jpg

Powered by a supercharged version of the Aurion's 3.5-liter DOHC alloy V6 engine, it delivers 323 horsepower at 6,500 rpm (a 20 percent increase) and a healthy 295 pound-feet of torque at 4,000 rpm. Toyota says more than 221 lb-ft of torque is available between 1,250 rpm and redline, and that at 1,800 rpm the TRD engine matches the normally aspirated Aurion's 248-lb-ft torque peak. The performance improvements come thanks to a new Eaton TVS (Twin Vortices Series) supercharger, which makes its world production-car debut in the TRD Aurion.

That makes the TRD Aurion the world's most powerful front-wheel-drive model and the most powerful normally aspirated six-cylinder engine in its class. And it's pretty quick, too, with an official 0-62-mph acceleration time of 6.09 seconds and a standing quarter-mile of about 14.2 seconds.

Wikipedia link (scroll to end)

At least their making something, Toyota brand has become very boring .... they've dropped everything sporty and concentrated on mainstream boring boxes... :(

Does make sense though, they have to separate Toyota and Lexus now, so Toyota's need to be boring but dependable whereas Lexus provides the excitement.........although if you take the bodykit and wheels off, that still looks like a pretty boring box........

That thing looks so much like the VXR8! But power seems decent if it normally aspirated, although it also mentions being supercharged so not sure which is correct. What's the point in all that power through the front wheels though, I can't see it being very good to drive

yes, it is supercharged..and as Wozza says, the reviews say that it's torque steering!

Now, if TRD has made it 4WD, you'd have a good package..

Extracts from Aussie reviews...

"When you floor the throttle in a straight line the TRD Aurion exhibits wild torque steer as the huge amounts of pent-up energy try to find a way to escape the front axle, which isn't helped by the light steering feel. It won't rip the tiller out of your hands but it doesmake full-throttle straight line acceleration feel strange. "

"Another down side to having such a powerful supercharged engine focussing all its power at the front wheels is loss of traction. With a claimed 6.1 second 0-100km/h dash the TRD Aurion is very quick in a straight line - we almost beat a Nissan 350Z to 70km/h from standstill - yet even on dry roads with warmed-up tyres, you cannot apply full throttle without getting some loss of traction and wheelspin."

Powered by a supercharged version of the Aurion's 3.5-liter DOHC alloy V6 engine, it delivers 323 horsepower at 6,500 rpm (a 20 percent increase) and a healthy 295 pound-feet of torque at 4,000 rpm. Toyota says more than 221 lb-ft of torque is available between 1,250 rpm and redline, and that at 1,800 rpm the TRD engine matches the normally aspirated Aurion's 248-lb-ft torque peak. The performance improvements come thanks to a new Eaton TVS (Twin Vortices Series) supercharger, which makes its world production-car debut in the TRD Aurion.

That makes the TRD Aurion the world's most powerful front-wheel-drive model and the most powerful normally aspirated six-cylinder engine in its class. And it's pretty quick, too, with an official 0-62-mph acceleration time of 6.09 seconds and a standing quarter-mile of about 14.2 seconds.

Eh?

Is it forced induction or not?

Looks great all the same

Stav

Does make sense though, they have to separate Toyota and Lexus now, so Toyota's need to be boring but dependable whereas Lexus provides the excitement.........

I kinda agree with what your saying but Lexus are more luxury executive than sporty IMHO

remember .. Supra's, MR2's, Celica's... all fun cars are were a lot more affordable to the average man in the street ...

Lexus "sports" are gonna be big bucks :(

the car looks really nice, however 6 seconds for 323bhp / 295ft lbs? that seems pretty slow.

the saab 95 aero has 250bhp and covers 60mph in 6.5 @ 250ft lb book figures... 1/4mile is about the same also

the car looks really nice, however 6 seconds for 323bhp / 295ft lbs? that seems pretty slow.

the saab 95 aero has 250bhp and covers 60mph in 6.5 @ 250ft lb book figures... 1/4mile is about the same also

all that power at full throttle means the wheels spin like mad from 0mph..

same applies for any big bhp car/ 95aero. im sure it has traction control, and maybe some sort of launch control?

floor it in the 95 and it wheel spins like mad even with esp on.

im not knocking the car, and i do actually miss front wheel drive (rwd still scares me)

im sure its filling a gap in the market ;)

im not knocking the car, and i do actually miss front wheel drive (rwd still scares me)

cmon, ur telling me u don't like driving in the GS with VSC switched off for a bit of RWD fun? :shutit:

how do you switch the VSC off ?

You can switch traction control off but not VSC...................company make VSC disablers in japan which makes me think I'm right :whistling:

cmon, ur telling me u don't like driving in the GS with VSC switched off for a bit of RWD fun? :shutit:

how do you switch the VSC off ?

You can switch traction control off but not VSC...................company make VSC disablers in japan which makes me think I'm right :whistling:

My 430 has a button with VSC Off written on it, and a dash light that says the same once you've pressed it.

Whether it disables the VSC or just the traction control element is another matter, though...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links