Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

How Noisy Is Your Supercharger?

Hi all got a TTE supercharger bolted onto my 1G-FE, however my concern is about the noise it makes, it is quite audible whilst driving even at 1,500 - 2,000 low end revs, going louder as revs build up, kind of sound like load transmission whine.

Any suggestions? BTW it doesen't seem to pull either, like just driving a normal car.

it doesen't seem to pull either, like just driving a normal car.

It is defo noisier than standard, but I am worried as to why it's not pulling.

Who fitted the Supercharger ? Do you have any pictures ?

Check all the jubilee hose clips for tightness, the drive belt too, and try to get along to a meet

and take a look at another members S/C IS200 for comparison.

Do you have an induction kit or the standard one? it could be just the normal noise.

But if your not getting anymore power, is the bypass wire working correctly?

Or like its been said check the belt is tight and all the jubilee clips are tight.

Stav

after doing a lot of research before rebuilding my unit i found out that the SC is not a "sealed for life" unit as we all believed (myself included).

underneath the pully assy there is a drain plug but the problem is our is mounted in such a way that u have to remove it to check the oil level - drain it out then refil would be better. On the mercedes the unit is mounted with the drain plug faving upwards.

I looked at rotating the casing so the plug was at the top but failed due to the mounting bolts being offset.

It is possible to make a sight glass to monitor the oil level and this is something i plan on doing in the future.

if u look at my rebuild thread 3rd photo from the bottom u can see the threaded hole for the drain plug

thats for a differnt type of SC - but its true the oil smells - i think its just normal gear oil TBH.

as the plug is underneath u can just drain the oil out into a jar then u can measure how much oil was in the unit - u only need 1 bottle of oil also.

I did realize it's another SC. Might be interesting to phone a Merc dealer about the compressor. The SLK M62 eaton Kompressor (with magnetic clutch) used to be classified as service free but the guy I spoke told me nowadays they do check oil levell at a regular basis (so they might be able to specify the right type of oil).

I know a guy that put Castrol 60 gear oil in it without any problems.

this might be interesting

http://www.capa.com.au/eaton.htm

I too find my charger is running noisy at idle and the start of acceleration from idle (upto 1.5/2k), then the noise dissappears.

I have done 220 miles since it was fitted, I have checked that the 17" bolt on the tensioner is still tight (as recommended by Steve at Charlesworth), yes it is.

The problem probably occurred after bouncing the rev limiter in Neutral (was trying to hear the whine).

The noise appears to coming from the s/c region, but I cant see anything obvious, (belts all seem to be turning fine). Will check jubilee hose clips.

Thanks in advance.

ok well i doubt then it has anything to do with the SC - i would have engine running with bonnet open and try to isolate the area of the noise - atch ur fingers for moving parts.......!!!!!!!!!

hmm doesnt always stop when I press the brakes..

Have kind of isolated the noise, I think its at the 30/40mm (smallest in set) hose connection on the left hand side of the s/c, this is probably because it was missing from the box, and the fitting centre had to cut the longer hose in half and used it on both connections, looked fine when it was being fitted.

Can someone confirm what the size of these hoses are and where i could get them from?

Cheers

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links