Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potential Modification - Laughing Gas

Rob's Lexx

Evening Folks,

Well, i've been looking into laughing gas (NOS) kits for some time now and initially put it on a back burner as time and money didn't permit, but now i've got the itch again. :whistling:

I've spoke with the Wizard of NOS himself (Trevor from WoN) and he seems to think its a perfectly do-able and viable installation with no extra problems caused by the s/c. In fact, he is VERY confident that a 25 shot would actually see 30-35 bhp improvement as a result of the s/c and i/c setup (tried and tested by themselves on many s/c'd cars before).

So, after some discussion, he reccomended a setup that sounds very tidy and at a reasonable price (including the progressive controller - an essential extra IMHO, and a bottle warmer kit - needed in this damn country, lol!!).

So everything sounds good......BUT.....my concern is the internals on the 1G-FE. :unsure:

What do people think?? will they take it?? or is it very much playing with fire??

Essentially, with the progressive controller, the nitrous can be slowly and progressively delivered to the engine and therefore, hopefully, reduce the extra sudden strain from the shot.

I'm in two minds about it to be honest. I've always wanted a NOS system, but in the same breath i don't wanna start tearing conrods :whistling:

I only know of Fargo to have had this done, but i believe that was on an IS300 so a comparisson can't really be made??

Finally, i have managed to negotiate a discount for others that may be interested.

Any thoughts, advice and opinions are very welcome guys.

Cheers

Rob

look forward to seeing this, i was tempted with nitrous but the hassle of filling etc i just cant be arsed with....Never been in a car with nitrous, would love to feel the power increase. i may be intrested though if the discount/cost is worthy enough. :)

i had it fitted.......i was told a 50 shot gives 1/2 that in bhp

my kit was wizards of NOS and there were no issues with it

get a maximiser controller.

BUT insurance will kill you

most will not touch it thats the only thing to worry about

was guaranteed the 25 bhp shot will give at least that with the s/c fitted if not more (or refund available). in fact, the chap seemed VERY confident it would be 30-35 bhp increase with a 25 shot.

then if i wanted more in the future, larger NOS injextors run at £12 a set (so nothing really) and that'll get to a 75 bhp shot

so you don't think theres an issue with the internals as i know some have had rods go at 240 + bhp???

so you don't think theres an issue with the internals as i know some have had rods go at 240 + bhp???

anyone any thoughts on the above?? :)

Thats the chance you take Rob, even putting supercharger on B) worked for others, might not work for others :duh:

I know naff all about the engine but on face value of what I have read on here regarding the big pulley changes for the SC (and the self destructing internals) , I'm not sure I would risk the SC and NOS on the standard internals. One or the other, but not both.

if you tell your insurer he will refuse to insure you at your age............

I would consider NOS on the Aristo at some stage, because it has a very strong engine, but the insurance would just not touch me. When I rang A-Plan for a quote once they said they cover almost all mods except for NOS...........:(

if you tell your insurer he will refuse to insure you at your age............

they have said they will cover me but depends on what kit i have etc.

will try to find out more this weekend i hope.

do u still have ur kit fitted dave??

I can't say about the Lexus's but when I worked for Seat we had a Toledo which was tuned and sorted by BRM of Leamington Spa , the thing was mad 230 Bhp at the wheels , then some bright spark said " I know lets fit Nitrous " which they surely did . On the day of testing at Millbrook proving track in Bed's it went off in its usual style ( like the proverbial rocket ) and after a lap they decided to hit the Nos , don't know what the driver really did coz apparently it went beserk for about 20 seconds then as it seized it made a biggish dent in the barrier , the rods had collapsed and two of the pistons had welded themselves to the bores . Anyway , don't let this scare you as the driver of our car was a total pleb and couldn't lie straight in bed , as he pleaded he did nothing wrong and stuck to his instructions regarding use of the Nos , I think he let it all go and whooped it up for longer than he said . Yeeeeehaaaahhhh BANG .

B)

Hope this helps

:duh:

I can't say about the Lexus's but when I worked for Seat we had a Toledo which was tuned and sorted by BRM of Leamington Spa , the thing was mad 230 Bhp at the wheels , then some bright spark said " I know lets fit Nitrous " which they surely did . On the day of testing at Millbrook proving track in Bed's it went off in its usual style ( like the proverbial rocket ) and after a lap they decided to hit the Nos , don't know what the driver really did coz apparently it went beserk for about 20 seconds then as it seized it made a biggish dent in the barrier , the rods had collapsed and two of the pistons had welded themselves to the bores . Anyway , don't let this scare you as the driver of our car was a total pleb and couldn't lie straight in bed , as he pleaded he did nothing wrong and stuck to his instructions regarding use of the Nos , I think he let it all go and whooped it up for longer than he said . Yeeeeehaaaahhhh BANG .

B)

Hope this helps

:duh:

sounds like he hit the nos at the redline :crying:

could be one of many reasons for that incident?? incorrect fitting, 'dry' NOS instead of a 'wet' kit, incorrect use, no progressive controller to monitor and correctly administor the nitrous, etc etc etc.

The main man i spoke to (who is in charge of WoN in the UK) said that he has NEVER had any issues such as that mentioned with any kits sold and installed by them. I'm not worried too much about things like that, but i am a little concerned about the potential weak rods on the IS. mind you, he told me about a smart car they have worked on that has a turbo conversion and the rods are seriously to their limit, but a 50 nitrous kit hasn't pushed it over the edge!!! must be a mad little runner that!!

out of interest, how much would a set of uprated rods cost?? or is there more to it than that??

cheers

rob

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links