Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Howdee Peepul

Just had fitted four FALKEN ZIEX ZE-512 R16 225/60 R16 98W tyres, for a total cost of £81 a corner. This was done through Black Circles.

Previous tyres were Dunlop D8Z. I detect no difference in grip - wet or dry - but they really are MUCH quieter. Since one of the main attractions of an LS400 for me was its near-silence, the fact that I have made the car quieter than ever (quite probably quieter than when it left the factory), I am well pleased.

The Black Circles website has a full description of these tyres and, as I have said in another posting, I was told Falkens were made by Dunlop, although I have been unable to confirm this.

Hope this is of interest to anyone about to fit new rubbers.

Bloody hell. I remember the D8Zs being pretty quiet when I had them on the LS. Now, you're saying it's quieter than that! That really is good news..

Try not to fall asleep on the motorway though :unsure:

At last! Some comments about tyres based on experience of alternatives (for LS400) Pity I'll have to wait about 5 years -at current usage- before I have to switch from Japanese sourced) Dunlops!!

I have mentioned on a previous post that I had a set of 4 Kumho Ecsta KH11 tyres fitted recently. Since then I have done 3k miles and am very pleased with them. These tyres replaced Bridgestone and the reduction in road noise was noticeable as soon as I left the tyre fitters. The grip is very good- wet or dry, though I haven't noticed any difference in the ride quality.

The tyres are the same size and speed rating as MR. JellyBean's and cost £70 each fitted and balanced from the local Kumho retailer and I would recommend them.

On a different subject I am sorry to see you are still breaking the bits below the bumper, if it's any consolation I've just ruined one of mine. :crybaby:

• 2 weeks later...

When I bought mine last year it was on Pirellis, which were half worn. (and it drove like the rear shockers had been disconnected) I replaced them with Michelin Pilotes and it's a different car. And they were cheaper than Pirellis!

• 2 weeks later...
I have mentioned on a previous post that I had a set of 4 Kumho Ecsta KH11 tyres fitted recently. Since then I have done 3k miles and am very pleased with them. These tyres replaced Bridgestone and the reduction in road noise was noticeable as soon as I left the tyre fitters. The grip is very good- wet or dry, though I haven't noticed any difference in the ride quality.

The tyres are the same size and speed rating as MR. JellyBean's and cost £70 each fitted and balanced from the local Kumho retailer and I would recommend them.

On a different subject I am sorry to see you are still breaking the bits below the bumper, if it's any consolation I've just ruined one of mine. :crybaby:

Hi Passman,

Are the Kumho`s fitted to your car on a 55-series? Mine are 225-55-16 Kumho Ecstas, and I was thinking of replacing them early as I think the road noise has increased since fitting them. I was going to experiment with 60-series tyres to attempt a reduction in road noise trading off a little handling sharpness (Really needed in a LS!!)

Hi Passman,

Are the Kumho`s fitted to your car on a 55-series? Mine are 225-55-16 Kumho Ecstas, and I was thinking of replacing them early as I think the road noise has increased since fitting them. I was going to experiment with 60-series tyres to attempt a reduction in road noise trading off a little handling sharpness (Really needed in a LS!!)

Mine are standard 60 series, to be honest the LS could never be said to handle but then they are so comfy. I don't think you can really get both, not in my price range anyway.

• 2 months later...
Howdee Peepul

Just had fitted four FALKEN ZIEX ZE-512 R16 225/60 R16 98W tyres, for a total cost of £81 a corner. This was done through Black Circles.

Previous tyres were Dunlop D8Z. I detect no difference in grip - wet or dry - but they really are MUCH quieter. Since one of the main attractions of an LS400 for me was its near-silence, the fact that I have made the car quieter than ever (quite probably quieter than when it left the factory), I am well pleased.

The Black Circles website has a full description of these tyres and, as I have said in another posting, I was told Falkens were made by Dunlop, although I have been unable to confirm this.

Hope this is of interest to anyone about to fit new rubbers.

I'm now in the market for new tyres for my Series 1, unfortunately I don't seem to be spoilt for choice with these 15" rims. The ZIEX 512 is not available in this size, for a start.

Rather worryingly, this is what Which? said about the 512:

The 205/55R16 V Falken Ziex ZE 512 has acceptable dry grip but falls well short of the class standards for wet grip. In particular it scores very poorly for wet braking and wet handling. Even though, like all the tyres we’ve tested, it passes all the minimum legal performance requirements, we recommend you Don’t Buy it. And if that doesn’t put you off, its availability is poor, so you’re unlikely to find it anyway.

The D8Z seems to be discontinued, too. So right now I'm looking at the Michelin Pilot Primacy (which is what I have already), and the Primacy MXV4. However, these don't appear to be generally available in the UK either - I might have to import them. There is a 'Primacy HP', but again, not in the right size.

So I shall continue on my quest...

Rather worryingly, this is what Which? said about the 512:

The 205/55R16 V Falken Ziex ZE 512 has acceptable dry grip but falls well short of the class standards for wet grip. In particular it scores very poorly for wet braking and wet handling. Even though, like all the tyres we’ve tested, it passes all the minimum legal performance requirements, we recommend you Don’t Buy it. And if that doesn’t put you off, its availability is poor, so you’re unlikely to find it anyway.

Ooh-er. This is rather rude of Which? !

However, I have found that traction (i.e. off the line) in the wet is better than the D8Zs which I had on the car for four years. Other opinions on the web, like mine, are most flattering to the Falkens, which are made by a sort of subsid of Dunlop, after all. And if Which? advises people not to buy them, the price will stay low. As I said before, the car is not a 911 Porsche, which might merit really expensive tyres.

BTW, my opinion of Which? was dented considerably when they told us in consective issues in 1999, "The Mini is now 50 years old" and elsewhere informed us that the Volvo S40/V40 "had a smooth engine". My wife had one at that time and the engine was so rough that she would get embarrassed at the noise it made in kick-down. (Mind you, the ride on this company-car V40 was absolutely atrocious - like an unladen pickup truck.)

• 1 month later...

Got the higher spec ZE912 98W for 67.93 ex VAT tonight at Cambs. Performance tyres. 179.63 the pair, all in with balance, valves, disposal and VAT.

They feel just so much more stable than the Pirellis and I agree much quieter. I have yet to give them a real spin.

The earlier recommended Kumhos were not available.

Got the higher spec ZE912 98W for 67.93 ex VAT tonight at Cambs. Performance tyres. 179.63 all in with balance, valves, disposal and VAT.

They feel just so much more stable than the Pirellis and I agree much quieter. I have yet to give them a real spin.

The earlier recommended Kumhos were not available.

VREDESTEIN look out for them.Very high reports & at the right money.

• 1 month later...

I must say that I always treat Which reports with a pinch (large one) of salt, not that I know anything about tyres, but in areas where I have knowledge I find Which rather at odds with my own experience.

So I am going put some Falcon tyres on the good lady's Honda 1.8 Sport Accord, and I'll notice any lack of ggrip comapared to Michelin or Dunlops on there, as it is a car you can chuck about in all sorts of conditions.

If they feel good then the LS400 will be getting a set next time.

I do feel the Pirelli and Dunlops on LS400 make the handling very odd at times when the road is rutted in a particular way.

May be a while b4 I get Lexus done, but will post something when I do.

Now I've had them for a few weeks I am very impressed. Very quiet, and there is a sure footed confidence that is noticeable esp. now. I feel it can be swung around a bit more that the Pirellis allowed. I don't get any wheel spin at a place where I used to get it most nights in the damp. Excellent tyres!

Now I've had them for a few weeks I am very impressed. Very quiet, and there is a sure footed confidence that is noticeable esp. now. I feel it can be swung around a bit more that the Pirellis allowed. I don't get any wheel spin at a place where I used to get it most nights in the damp. Excellent tyres!

Yes, I have found that traction is better in moist conditions than it ever was with the Dunlops. Bah! to Which? magazine.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links