Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is-f - The Test Drive Of My Life!

I was contacted by my dealer to ask me if I wanted to have a test drive in the IS-F as they had one in for the day and a few people who had laid down deposits had cancelled their test drives. I am not really in the market at this time to change my RX400h for an IS-F, especially as myself and my wife are having a baby in September this year. However, I could not turn the chance down to have a go in one. I got over an hour in the car and I was completely blown away!

I used to own an IS250 auto, which I loved to bits, but I needed more loading space and the IS was a little tight in the boot and back seats for my needs so I changed to an RX which I also think is a brilliant car.

The IS-F is really something else, totally unique IMHO. The 8 speed gear box is outstanding, finally a manufacturer has made a gear box with paddles that clicks through the gears almost instantly! Again on my IS250 it was nice to have the paddles, but in reality you were just clicking an automatic gear box from gear to gear, the IS-F is very F1 style in its shift. I loved it on the back roads shifting down the gears how it blipped the throttle for me and drops the gear straight away, almost like its double de-clutching, really great feeling. I bet that sounded brilliant to any people you pass on a pavement.

The burble out of the 4 pipes at the back is outstanding and only present when you boot it. It honestly put me in mind of when Clarkson reviewed the bugatti veyron, that is the sound! Now obviously I am only forming that opinion based on what I heard through my TV speakers and not in real life. It is a very sweet sound and something I am sure I could not resist hearing every day which would definitely up my fuel bills.

The acceleration is amazing! I have had a Z3 M Coupe and a Scooby Sti and this thing still blew my socks off with the relentless acceleration, miles more grunt!

The handling and grip is way beyond my abilities, I could feel that the car had so much more in it, frankly speaking, its capabilities far out way anything you would be able to do on the public roads in my area, it really needs to go on a track to be fully appreciated.

I also tested it in normal use, calmed myself down from the sheer exhilaration and took it into a town centre, over some speed humps and all the general every day driving. It was spot on, not too hard on the ride and in D mode with Sport off it was like you were in a quiet exec motor. Truly a car with two personalities.

I can honestly say I found it hard to find faults with the car, if I were really digging hard to criticise it, again lack of boot space and rear seat space and possibly the lack of interior colour choices may upset people but I quite liked it. Very small issue on a personal note, that they have put the F on too many things in the car.

I was told there will be two IS-F's per dealer, per year and that is it. So I think the residual value of this car should really hold well as they will be quite few and far between, not like the M3 which are quite common and easy to come by.

Overall, 10 out of 10 Lexus! Finally they have tapped into this market and done an amazing job of it.... :)

I was contacted by my dealer to ask me if I wanted to have a test drive in the IS-F as they had one in for the day and a few people who had laid down deposits had cancelled their test drives. I am not really in the market at this time to change my RX400h for an IS-F, especially as myself and my wife are having a baby in September this year. However, I could not turn the chance down to have a go in one. I got over an hour in the car and I was completely blown away!

I used to own an IS250 auto, which I loved to bits, but I needed more loading space and the IS was a little tight in the boot and back seats for my needs so I changed to an RX which I also think is a brilliant car.

The IS-F is really something else, totally unique IMHO. The 8 speed gear box is outstanding, finally a manufacturer has made a gear box with paddles that clicks through the gears almost instantly! Again on my IS250 it was nice to have the paddles, but in reality you were just clicking an automatic gear box from gear to gear, the IS-F is very F1 style in its shift. I loved it on the back roads shifting down the gears how it blipped the throttle for me and drops the gear straight away, almost like its double de-clutching, really great feeling. I bet that sounded brilliant to any people you pass on a pavement.

The burble out of the 4 pipes at the back is outstanding and only present when you boot it. It honestly put me in mind of when Clarkson reviewed the bugatti veyron, that is the sound! Now obviously I am only forming that opinion based on what I heard through my TV speakers and not in real life. It is a very sweet sound and something I am sure I could not resist hearing every day which would definitely up my fuel bills.

The acceleration is amazing! I have had a Z3 M Coupe and a Scooby Sti and this thing still blew my socks off with the relentless acceleration, miles more grunt!

The handling and grip is way beyond my abilities, I could feel that the car had so much more in it, frankly speaking, its capabilities far out way anything you would be able to do on the public roads in my area, it really needs to go on a track to be fully appreciated.

I also tested it in normal use, calmed myself down from the sheer exhilaration and took it into a town centre, over some speed humps and all the general every day driving. It was spot on, not too hard on the ride and in D mode with Sport off it was like you were in a quiet exec motor. Truly a car with two personalities.

I can honestly say I found it hard to find faults with the car, if I were really digging hard to criticise it, again lack of boot space and rear seat space and possibly the lack of interior colour choices may upset people but I quite liked it. Very small issue on a personal note, that have put the F on too many things in the car.

I was told there will be two IS-F's per dealer, per year and that is it. So I think the residual value of this car should really hold well as they will be quite few and far between, not like the M3 which are quite common and easy to come by.

Overall, 10 out of 10 Lexus! Finally they have tapped into this market and done an amazing job of it.... :)

First of all congratulations and hope all goes well with new arrival in September.

Good review, I have also seen one and sat in one and it's truly amazing, my only critisism is not being able to buy the Ultrasonic Blue colour in the UK, yes, I will not stop going on about this until they release the blue in the UK.

When I'm in a position to buy one that would be my colour choice.

First of all congratulations and hope all goes well with new arrival in September.

Good review, I have also seen one and sat in one and it's truly amazing, my only critisism is not being able to buy the Ultrasonic Blue colour in the UK, yes, I will not stop going on about this until they release the blue in the UK.

Thank you!

Yes, they did say the colour choices are quite limited on the car.

I am surprised they have not released the blue and keep it unique to the IS-F. The M3 had that Dakar Yellow and the blue that only the M power cars had.

Another point I did not add on my review, was the economy of the car.

I checked the tank average mpg and it was reading 22mpg!!! Considering my test drive was at 3pm and the car had been ragged all day by perspective buyers, that is not bad at all... So I guess realistic driving would see around 25mpg possibly?

Another point I did not add on my review, was the economy of the car.

I checked the tank average mpg and it was reading 22mpg!!! Considering my test drive was at 3pm and the car had been ragged all day by perspective buyers, that is not bad at all... So I guess realistic driving would see around 25mpg possibly?

mine says 27mph driving steady but if you want to have fun it costs a little more

Mine said 13 ltr/100 km on a short slow drive. I also did a few laps in anonther one on the Nürnburgring and manage to achieve 20ltr/100 km (didn't push it since it wasn't mine and I had to promise to try to return it in mint state :whistling: ). I like it in white with black leather and would leave the sunroof alone.

Compared to the RS4 and M3 the IS-f would come in second (after the audi estate but on par with the m3). I like the F but need an estate so if I got this kind of money to spend my choice would be the audi.

Thank you!

I am surprised they have not released the blue and keep it unique to the IS-F. The M3 had that Dakar Yellow and the blue that only the M power cars had.

Yes, I totally agree, have you posted your vote, if not then please do so, as I am putting in efforts to make this happen.

Please go to the link below or my topic 'Ultrasonic Blue for UK YES OR NO'

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=46951

Thanks.

Sounds like an awesome car! I like the sound of it. Great to read a review of it by a real person, not the magazines.

I have to say though, I've always liked the Audi RS4 (the older shape A4 that they just stopped making). I like the fact that it's nice and compact for a saloon. If I didn't have the budget for an IS-F, that would be a tempting option.

• 1 month later...

I drove it yesterday for about 45 min - both in town (like a tame cat, very smooth, np at all) and then on the notorway (like a wild beast unleashed). It´s the best car I ever tried by far. The sound, the torque, the handling and still as comfortaböe as any IS. Absolutely awsome.

Thank you!

The colours available are Arctic Pearl, Palladio Silver, Cadoxton Slate, Velvet Black & Mesa Pearl. All these colours are used on other Lexus UK models and can be found on the Lexus UK site for these models. What you can't find on the site is the full ISF spec. I attach the Product Bulletin Nov 2007 which is correct except for OTR prices which have risen by £100 due to Vehicle Excise Duty increases since, and the new Car Tax for next year. Also the ISF doesn't have Tyre Pressure Warning System.

I also wanted the Ultrasonic Blue because after using Photoshop to show the ISF in the other available colours, the blue did the body shape the most favours. Now I'm not so sure because, although the blue is great, it is the colour of a chav's car.

ViewDocumentServlet.pdf

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links