Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hks Silent Hi-power Exhaust

Same mate.

Standard tyail pipe on IS300 will prob be bigger, but will be same fitment.

The Hi-Power Silent is a lovely bit of kit. Thouroughly reccommend it. I running roughly IS300 power through mine so will be fine.

• 1 month later...

Hi. What exactly would be the Insurance implications of changing my standard exhaust to one of these boys?

Is it classed as a mod, ie I'd have to inform my Insurance company?

And if so, is it likely to void my insurance or would it just mean the premium would go up (and by approx. how much)?

I'm currently insured with Lexus, as they guarantee to use all Lexus parts in the event of any repair work required, and would like to stay with them, so moving insurance company isn't an option.

Thanks,

M.

It is a modification. I had to pay the extra on my insurance and its about £30 of a £730 Premium. But tha was exhaust/manifold, so i could do both - not that i have.

Thanks for that info.

What about your air filter upgrade?

Does that need to be declared as well?

Cheers,

M.

I would tell them about *everything*, including air filter upgrades, yes. If you don't tell them about something and they find out (e.g. by an assessor looking at your car after an accident) then they've got every right to say that your policy is null and void.

I wouldn't have thought something small such as an air filter upgrade would affect your premium.

It is a modification. I had to pay the extra on my insurance and its about £30 of a £730 Premium. But tha was exhaust/manifold, so i could do both - not that i have.

Thanks for that info.

What about your air filter upgrade?

Does that need to be declared as well?

Cheers,

M.

Nothing else i declared, probably being a tad naughty, plus it is just a lifetime filter really: no performance gain just bit nicer noise. Plus i can swap the air filter in seconds for the original. :whistling:

Nothing else i declared, probably being a tad naughty, plus it is just a lifetime filter really: no performance gain just bit nicer noise. Plus i can swap the air filter in seconds for the original. :whistling:

What if your car was damaged in a major way, was towed off to a garage and was inspected there by the insurance company before you had a chance to do anything to it ? Or even if you did have a chance to swap the filter, maybe the bonnet was damaged and you couldn't get it open ?

Up to you of course, but IMHO not worth the risk.

I'm insured with Lexus too and i've declared ALL mods to them.

My renewal quote seemed quite cheap so went through all mods with them again couple of months back just to check and no probs it seems...

But then I'm getting on a bit now so maybe that's how I can get away with it :whistling:

TG

Hi. What exactly would be the Insurance implications of changing my standard exhaust to one of these boys?

Is it classed as a mod, ie I'd have to inform my Insurance company?

And if so, is it likely to void my insurance or would it just mean the premium would go up (and by approx. how much)?

I'm currently insured with Lexus, as they guarantee to use all Lexus parts in the event of any repair work required, and would like to stay with them, so moving insurance company isn't an option.

Thanks,

M.

I didn't even know Lexus did insurance!

Technically you should declare all mod, including, removing badges, adding additional stickers (even a (GB) one for driving abroad!)

IF THE CAR DID NOT LEAVE THE FACTORY LIKE IT, IT IS A MODIFICATION.

I have all major mods declared (charger, wheels, exhaust, induction, suspension, stereo) but not everything, like bulb upgrades, badges/stickers etc, thats just silly!

Yeah i know im risking it - but i put through air filter on the quote on its own and it was more expensive than having exhaust and lowering springs (which i would also declare if fitted). I would most deifintely declare though if i had a full induction kit.

In my opinion a panel filter is not a mod, you're changing a replacable item with an equivalent compatible item, just from a different manufacturer.

What if an independent garage changed your Lexus oil filter for a generic-make one - would that count as a mod?

I'm only talking about panel filters in the original airbox here, obviously cone filters and full induction kits are a mod!

My thoughts exactly!

sorry this is a bit out of topic but when talking about insurance thing--im thinmking of changing my headrest to a dvd player built in it both the driver and passenger side-would you still consider it MOD and have to be declared for insurance purposes? thanks

My thoughts exactly!

sorry this is a bit out of topic but when talking about insurance thing--im thinmking of changing my headrest to a dvd player built in it both the driver and passenger side-would you still consider it MOD and have to be declared for insurance purposes? thanks

Technically, yes, it is a modification to the cars original specification. This make the vehicle more desirable, and more likely to get stolen.

To be safe, you should mention it to them. I'm not too sure on interior mods thoug, certainly cant see your premium going up as a result though, unless maybe you wanted the screens themselves covered on the policy.

In my opinion a panel filter is not a mod, you're changing a replacable item with an equivalent compatible item, just from a different manufacturer.

The insurance company would likely point out that a panel filter is designed to give slightly improved performance, so it is something above the specification of the OEM items, so it is a mod.

What if an independent garage changed your Lexus oil filter for a generic-make one - would that count as a mod?

No because that could potentially lower the value/performance of the car. But if they replaced your Lexus oil-filter for a super-duper-improved-oil-flow one that cost extra then it probably would be a "mod". Just like if you swapped your alloys for plain steel wheels they wouldn't be too bothered, but if you upgraded steel wheels to alloys then they certainly would want to know about it.

If you pick and choose what you report to your insurance company then you really are playing with fire IMHO, giving them every excuse to invalidate your policy.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links