Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bike Test

Rikos

Hi all,

I have always wanted to do my bike test and eventually own a Ducati. My theory is if i can ride a bike to work and cut my petrol costs down i will then have more money and maybe to have a lex sooner than hoped after i've sold mine.

I've just got a few questions.

I know you can do the Direct Access course which allows you to ride any bike on completion (although i wouldnt get anything about 500cc for at least 1 year so i built up confidence and riding ability. How much is this course?

Also, i live in Uppingham (Rutland - In between Leicester and Peterborough). Does anyone know of any centres in this area that do these courses and have a good reputation.

Thanks for any help guys & girls.

Stuff the Ducati, it’ll break down every 5 minutes. What you need is a Honda!

You’ll really enjoy the bike lessons, Rik, it really is far more fun than driving even a nice car like the IS. Shires Motorcycle Training have a really good reputation here in Derby, and they also have a branch in Leicester – prices are on their web site: www.shiresmt.com

I agree, the 996 looks and sounds terrific.

Down through Melton, Oakham and a lap of Rutland Water is one of my regular afternoons out on the bike - PM me your number and I'll give you a shout next time I am down that way. You can make me a cuppa! :)

im a bavarian tractor rider

Talking of bikes which have reliability issues.... I was talking to a GS rider up in Scotland last week who said (and I quote him faithfully) "it's a great bike, but I'd never want to own one which was out of warranty". Sometimes, being a VFR owner make you very smug! :D

Jap all the way everytime :D Ducatis are made for gnomes so unless your 3ft tall dont bother.

Yup agree on the size, lusted after a one for years, one came up for sale at the local bike shop. 748 just what I was after, got there where's the Duke? there? FFS that's a Mini Moto :lol:

Go for an Aprillia RSV Millie if you like a V Twin and do a "spanner" check every time you ride it.

Jap all the way everytime :D Ducatis are made for gnomes so unless your 3ft tall dont bother.

The bike test is getting tougher from Sept so i heard, what this entails i have no idea but get in quick.

Good luck.

This is true i have loads of mates doing it in the next few weeks as its going to be a bit of a pig to pass after the summer.

You deffo want to stay away from duc's if you want to save money, i know people who have got them they love them when there working but hate them when there broken and 50% of the time there broken and these guys only ride them sunday mornings etc so not very good at all.

All the modern jap bikes are better than the duc's now unless you go and pay stupid amounts for the race spec jobbies. You can get some nice sit up and beg type things yamaha fazer uses detuned R1 engines and go like stink without any of the aches and pains of a sport bike, once you pass just go out and try a few out until you know what you want.

Talking of bikes which have reliability issues.... I was talking to a GS rider up in Scotland last week who said (and I quote him faithfully) "it's a great bike, but I'd never want to own one which was out of warranty". Sometimes, being a VFR owner make you very smug! :D

there are a few issues with the immobiliser and fuel pump controller and the seal for the final drive can go, but for each person shouting about on forums i guess there are hundreds/thousands which dont have a problem. i like the bmw, it takes some getting used to and some funny noises but i have not had any issues at all.

i guess u have seen the famous hitler video then?

Rikos ....... decide if u want a sport bike type or a more upright riding position, think if u will do longer trips also consider the wind blast as that gets old very quickly! i do a daily commute round trip of about 100 miles so comfort is a big issue for me, large screen, upright position and decent range before petrol stops..... an other important factor.

if ur into sports check out the ktm duke or to the other extreme..... big trailie style the ktm 990 adventure - they are fantastic machines and handle very well

and most important GET A GOOD CHAIN AND GROUND ANCHOR FOR HOME - ALMAX CHAINS-NOTHING BEATS THEM!

there are a few issues with the immobiliser and fuel pump controller and the seal for the final drive can go, but for each person shouting about on forums i guess there are hundreds/thousands which dont have a problem. i like the bmw, it takes some getting used to and some funny noises but i have not had any issues at all.

i guess u have seen the famous hitler video then?

Rikos ....... decide if u want a sport bike type or a more upright riding position, think if u will do longer trips also consider the wind blast as that gets old very quickly! i do a daily commute round trip of about 100 miles so comfort is a big issue for me, large screen, upright position and decent range before petrol stops..... an other important factor.

if ur into sports check out the ktm duke or to the other extreme..... big trailie style the ktm 990 adventure - they are fantastic machines and handle very well

and most important GET A GOOD CHAIN AND GROUND ANCHOR FOR HOME - ALMAX CHAINS-NOTHING BEATS THEM!

Good shout on the petrol tank you dont want anything to much under 20 litres for a minimum. I love the ktm duke not been on one but would love to have a good blat on one wheeeeeeeeeeeelie machines :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links