Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Tyre Pressures

When I got my IS200, it had two Semperit DirectionSport tyres fitted. For some reason one was on the front and one on the back.

I got two new Vredestein Ultrac (excellent wet weather) tyres on the back , and but both Semperits on the front.

Last night I checked the tyre pressures and found something interesting, the Semperits were at 40 and 44psi! I thought the steering was a bit light so I deflated them to 33psi as Lexus recommend. Then I went for a test drive - at first it felt like an improvement, until I got on a quicker road, the car was all over the place! When I turned the wheel, there was a delay in the car reacting, just like underinflated tyres.

I've put them back up to 40psi now but it seems like they have to be inflated so high because the tyre sidewalls are so soft.

Has anyone else had any experience with these tyres

And what pressures do you use on your IS200?

When I ran standard Lexus 17" wheels, I ran the tyres @ 35psi all round as per WIM's recommendations.

The figure has been reached after much research, from many members experiences & thouroughly

documented tyre wear.

I would suggest thrying 35psi all round, then if still a problem, contacting semperit UK for their advice.

run them @ 35psi as wozza said check the tyres are on the right way

prob feels strange cos youve been driving with to much psi 40/44. try with 35psi for a week or two and if your still not happy get your geometry checked out :) :) :)

as an after thought.....:huh:

are they directional and if so are they rotating correctly ?

Good call - I've read a really old thread on this forum from someone else with these tyres, and his were left/right sided as well as directional! I've double-checked mine, and they are not sided, but are directional. They are both correct too.

I appreciate the advice about tyre pressures, this pretty much confirms that these front tyres are absolutely rubbish, because at 33psi the car felt pretty dangerous on the motorway, I think the sidewalls are rubbish. I daren't put them down to 35psi for the time being.

It's a bit difficult for me at the moment, I've come from a MG ZS180, if anyone's been in one you'll know it's a very precise and sure-footed car. The Lexus doesn't feel as good in comparison. In normal driving it's great, nice and sharp, but when I go quicker into bends it feels a bit all over the place, and at higher speeds it's a bit iffy. Because I'm new to the car and it's got cheapo tyres it's hard to say whether I'm expecting too much of the handling, or whether it's the tyres. It seems to pitch about a bit in hard corners, as if the suspension is firm but can't cope when it's pushed. Could still be the tyres though, back end feels much better thanks to the new set of Vredesteins!

How do people rate the IS handling, and what can they compare it to (previous cars etc.)? Is your car 100% stable at higher speeds (motorway+ I mean, when you've had chance to try it)

My IS is not 100% stable and does not handle as well as I thought it would for a Lexus at high speeds. Its defo improved a lot after the geo set up by WIM but still at times I feels there is something wrong, like if I go over an imperfection on the road the car jumps and then slightly moves direction (can be dangerous overtaking on a bend). It also seems to wonder a little at times and I can feel something not quite right going on, its a lot worse when there is any wind.

If I compared the handling with my previous car, don't laugh Mazda 626... surprisingly the Mazda was a more stable at speeds and around bends. It had Michelins tyres all round though.

I currently have Federal Super Steels 595 x 3 and 1 Bridgestone Potenza at the near side rear. (SS595 had to be swapped for Potenza as it was worn) Maybe that's part of my problem I don't know?

I run 35psi all round.

I would certainaly reccommend a geo set up by WIM as that will improve things for sure.

My IS is not 100% stable and does not handle as well as I thought it would for a Lexus at high speeds. Its defo improved a lot after the geo set up by WIM but still at times I feels there is something wrong, like if I go over an imperfection on the road the car jumps and then slightly moves direction (can be dangerous overtaking on a bend). It also seems to wonder a little at times and I can feel something not quite right going on, its a lot worse when there is any wind.

If I compared the handling with my previous car, don't laugh Mazda 626... surprisingly the Mazda was a more stable at speeds and around bends. It had Michelins tyres all round though.

Wow what a coincidence. On Tuesday night I was driving home late after helping a friend move house, we were on the M56 motorway. He was driving - a Mazda 626! On a slip road from the M56 to the M6, he took the inside lane at about 70mph on a sweeping left turn, I took the outside lane (not as severe) and really struggled to keep up at the same speed. My car felt very unstable where he was having no problems at all.

I also think my car sometimes feels "not right" and seems like it's being affected by winds on the motorway.

I think the IS200 suspension is designed for sharp handling but can't cope with the cornering forces at higher speeds.

Does anyone with a modded IS200 know how to solve this? Is it anti-roll bars or are new shocks needed?

I'm on my way to do just that, i've got stock everything at the moment. Just got the geo done by Tony (at wheels in motion, or most like to call it WIM) and car feels alot better, even at high speeds, but im using Goodyear F1s all round (still new). Once they are bedded in im sure it will be an improvement (also using the OEM 5 spokes 17" wheel). I have also installed a TRD rear strut brace, which is situated in the rear boot between the two rear shocks. Next im going to lower it by 30mm using Eibatch springs, together with arb's and front struct brace. May even go as far as fixing front and rear chassis braces. But to be honest im already very happy with the way the car handles after the geo setup, bare in mind i have been driving it for 3 yrs so i know the difference right away before and after the geo setup. I'm also running the tyre pressures at 35psi as recommended by WIM (used to run them at 30psi). You have to also bare in mind that the lexus is a luxury car as standard so you can't expect that much until you start modding it. You will probably find that after around 10k miles you will have excessive inner tyre wear due to the fact that the geo on the lexus isn't quite right as standard and are wrong, oops i ment to say it can be improved ;) ,hence why u get so many people getting them sorted out by WIM. I see that you already have the sport version which is already lower than my IS200 SE, so it should handle corners better. But like many have said get WIM to get the tracking/geo done to see if there is anything wrong to begin with, than start looking for alternatives for improvements like strut braces, stronger springs/shocks etc. I'm sure Tony at WIM can give you some really good advice to improve it too, after all hes the man for that sort of thing.

I have TTE Red Anti Roll bars on mine on a stock suspension set-up with WIM geometry.

It went round the Nurburgring at freezing temperatures and behaved well, and when the

sun came out I was pushing much much harder.

I would suggest descent tyres and a WIM Geo set up, along with some anti-roll-bars.

if that doesn't do the job, for a finishing touch, Tein Coilovers with EDFC.

Job done :D

I'm on my way to do just that, i've got stock everything at the moment. Just got the geo done by Tony (at wheels in motion, or most like to call it WIM) and car feels alot better, even at high speeds, but im using Goodyear F1s all round (still new). Once they are bedded in im sure it will be an improvement (also using the OEM 5 spokes 17" wheel). I have also installed a TRD rear strut brace, which is situated in the rear boot between the two rear shocks. Next im going to lower it by 30mm using Eibatch springs, together with arb's and front struct brace. May even go as far as fixing front and rear chassis braces. But to be honest im already very happy with the way the car handles after the geo setup, bare in mind i have been driving it for 3 yrs so i know the difference right away before and after the geo setup. I'm also running the tyre pressures at 35psi as recommended by WIM (used to run them at 30psi). You have to also bare in mind that the lexus is a luxury car as standard so you can't expect that much until you start modding it. You will probably find that after around 10k miles you will have excessive inner tyre wear due to the fact that the geo on the lexus isn't quite right as standard and are wrong, oops i ment to say it can be improved ;) ,hence why u get so many people getting them sorted out by WIM. I see that you already have the sport version which is already lower than my IS200 SE, so it should handle corners better. But like many have said get WIM to get the tracking/geo done to see if there is anything wrong to begin with, than start looking for alternatives for improvements like strut braces, stronger springs/shocks etc. I'm sure Tony at WIM can give you some really good advice to improve it too, after all hes the man for that sort of thing.

Well it's really good to know that the geometry changes can make such a big difference, maybe that on it's own will be enough for me to be happy :)

@Wozza - I've had a look at the TTE ARB's as they sound really good. They are expensive though aren't they, I could only find them for £300! Then got to get fitted. Might get them one day! I like the fact that it won't ruin the ride, just stop it rolling in corners.

I couldn't get my new front tyres for today as I only ordered them Friday morning, so it will be next Saturday now when I can get them fitted. Hopefully that will bring some improvements!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links