Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me?

I currently drive an LS430, which is supremely comfortable.

I am thinking of buying an LS460 but am concerned about the comfort.

Whilst the LS460 is more involving and handles and drives better than the 430, it also a much firmer ride.

This might suit many people, but I have a slight back problem (never an issue in the 430) which I worry might become a problem with the 460. I am not especially old (well - I don't think so - mid 50s) and I know this might sound like an 'old man's complaint', but it could be an expensive mistake if I have to change the car in 6 months time.

I wonder if anyone here has changed from a 430 to a 460 and, if so, how have they fared regarding this matter? I appreciate that it is a personal thing, and we are all different, but I would still be very interested in anyone's experiences.

Thanks very much

Bob

Hi Bob,

i cant really give you an answer other than is it not possible to get a test drive, considering the cost of the 460, im sure Lexus would be quite accommodating regards such a test drive, ultimately its your feel for the car that counts, not anyone else's , and like you say its a big change.

mat

50....old? No! Just mature/experienced/relaxed (?) Back problems affect millions. Setright (RIP) had a big thing about seats in cars being overstuffed and uncomfortable. Some (a physician I think) once designed a much better ergonomic seat for driving. I find that I change the incline, etc, of my seat if driving more than an hour just to move the back position a bit. Can't help with 460, though I find the Ser 3 smooth (of course!)

Indeed seat comfort is a very important issue. I found myself experiencing severe back ache a few weeks after switching cars from my old Renault Megane to my LS460. More than a few times, I wondered if the change in car had something to do with it.

The seats are hugely adjustable, but it also means it's easy to set them to the 'wrong' position - something that feels comfortable in the short term, but long term may be the wrong posture.

As far as the ride goes, it's nice and soft compared with the GS series. In comfort mode, it even feels slightly 'American' in terms of how bouncy it is.

I fear that a test drive would not be long enough to accurately tell if the car is the right one for you.

The back ache is now cured though, by my spending some time at the gym a few times a week B)

Thanks for your views guys.

The main reason for asking was that I had very kindly been loaned an LS460 for several days by Lexus Twickenham to see if I would experience the same back problem I had when switching from an 'old' GS to the 'new' GS 3 years ago.

I did immediately get a back ache, hence my question.

Whilst taking the car back to the dealer yesterday (150 mile journey), I did some more experimenting with the seat controls and discovered the control that slides the seat squab backwards/forwards made a big difference (the GS doesn't have this control). I think I can get a comfortable position now, which makes the decision a lot easier, as the car is awesome (over-used word, I know) in almost every other way. Absolutley gutted that the front air vents no longer have an oscillate feature though!!

Many thanks for your help

Bob

I have been driving my LS430 for over six months now and I am still tweaking the driving position, the only time I usually get it right in previous cars is after a drive to the south of France and back, after 11 hours driving you know if you have it right or not.

on My A8 i had one setting for town and one for motorway driving, but it would let you change while on the move, where as the 430 you have to be in park.

• 2 years later...

Hi I have a LS430 ,this is my third LS , 400 great . old 430 wonderful this late 430 the worst car I have ever owned. The ride is very hard and will give you a bad back. I will change it very soon after 5 months ownership and will be getting a 460 so I hope its an improvement and don't end up with a bad back

Hi Bob,

I'm mid 50s and with OA. I've come from a LS430 to a LS460 two years ago, and I did wonder about the transition because the seats are different.

One way the driver's seat is less good than the 430 is that it only has the one adjustment for the hardness of the seat back - the 430 has two. One major difference is that the seat is much more shaped in the 460 - this does give you a lot of comforting lateral support, and is worthwhile.

However, if you set up the seat and wheel properly, I've found the 460 at least as good as the 430, and probably better. I certainly have a longer range in the 460 than I did in the 430 before I become weary. I don't think you'll have a problem.

Like you, though, I do need to extend the seat base to get myself comfortable.

Incidentally, the SE-L has head restraints, that, just before something hits you from behind, pop up and support your head, helping to minimise whiplash type injuries, so the 460's seats are probably a bit safer than the 430's!

I suggest you buy the car and enjoy it - sadly, I don't think that there will be another one to replace it in a few years time.

: o )

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links