Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Modified Insurance

coolrides

living in northern ireland has always been a pain to insure a modified car but for first time since i started driving i am fully legal thanks to adrain flux, dont seem to mind the add ons where as some places i have tried are very plain and simple or not at all.

just thought i spread the word as they have done everything i have asked of them without a problem. 18" alloys, coilovers, blitz backbox only added £20 to my premium. bliss.

ADRIAN FLUX 0800 7831392

Sound mate, worth the extra £20 for the protection of your lex and the mod's you've got fitted :)

yea i have never been fully insured as i have never been able too because the local insurance companies would not touch me. i had a turbo ka as a first car and noone wanted to know, same as my seat ibiza.

its good to see some english companies putting thier foot across the water to give them some competition

Good to see, as some people that mod there cars dont bother to tell the insurance :angry: seen it lots of times on loc toooo :o you know who you are, get the right insurance :D

If i knew how to shop them i would, as i for one, am sick of paying for them :shutit: full stop

Good to see, as some people that mod there cars dont bother to tell the insurance :angry: seen it lots of times on loc toooo :o you know who you are, get the right insurance :D

If i knew how to shop them i would, as i for one, am sick of paying for them :shutit: full stop

that has always been the problem over here tho, people have been forced to keep quiet about mods as they would not have been able to get insured, that why i spreading the word. lol.

i remember the hassle of trying to insure even the wheels on my ford ka. they only wanted to let me go 1 inch from standard size with would be a massive 14" rim, when i said i had 17"s they all said sorry and goodbye. lol

roll on the modified insurance companies.

its easy, tell the police, the car is insured incorrectly, or not as specified

i agree though, no excuse for not insuring a car with all mods declared

how are you paying for them ?

its them who will loose out when they have an accident and find their pride and joys are not covered

its them who will loose out when they have an accident and find their pride and joys are not covered

How about any third party involved where it is the fault of the uninsured driver though?

If someone with no insurance (coz thats what will happen if you have not told them about your mods) hits you, who's is going to pay for your repairs ? what if thay kill someone ? again its not going to be their insurance, most insurance comps put into a big sort of pot to pay for things like this, but at the end of the day, its people who pay & tell about the mods in the car, that pay the most.

Not only is there car not going to be covered, if it their fault the person they hit will not be covered and will probably end up out of pocket and having to claim on their own insurance. Also, if a person without insurance was hit(ie a pedestrian, they would probably be paid out by the MIB which insurance companies pay a portion of premiums into so again the properly insured motorist is paying. In my mind..if you can't afford the insurance dont mod the car.

if you have an valid insurance policy, legally the insurance company must provide third party cover, they can refuse to pay for the policy holders car or any injuries to the person, but can not default on their third party obligation

Surely if you've carried out mods and not told the insurance company, then you *don't* have a valid insurance policy ?

if you have an valid insurance policy, legally the insurance company must provide third party cover, they can refuse to pay for the policy holders car or any injuries to the person, but can not default on their third party obligation

Surely if you've carried out mods and not told the insurance company, then you *don't* have a valid insurance policy ?

I agree. If you've provided incorrect information to the insurance company - obtaining cheaper insurance by knowingly lying to them, why would they pay out to a third party?

Tragic as it is if the situation ever occured, but I just don't see why they would have to - when all is said and done you've tried to defraud them.

If I ever knew anyone was driving a car that wasn't insured correctly, I'd be on the phone like a shot to the police - I don't care who they are - could be my child they run over or my car they run into.

They accept the insurance risk on a car and decide the premium based on the facts that they are given. The person taking out the policy has to declare that all relevant info has been disclosed. One of the questions asks if the car has been modified and if so in what way. By failing to declare relevant info such as modifications 3 things occur.

1. You invalidate all or part of your insurance.

2. You leave yourself at risk of being unable to obtain insurance in the future as you will be on the insurance database as a fraudster.

3. You commit an offence under The Road Traffic Act.

Whilst I am sure it is not the case, your apparent attitude to this subject seems to imply that you feel it is acceptable not to declare mods.

What's the definition of a modification in Insurance terms?

Is fitting an OEM boot spoiler a mod? How about a non OEM exhaust back box? LED tail lights and HID headlights? What about fitting different size or make of tyre to those originally supplied on the car from OEM?

Aftermarket ICE? Is it not legal if you fail to tell your insurance company? If not, why not, as you could argue better ICE makes the car more attractive to thieves, same reason the Noddy Dog gave me for wanting more of a premium when I fitted non standard rims, despite the fact that they didn't cost anymore than a set of new replacement rims from a Lexus dealer (they were completely confused when I said the OEM rims's would be going back on in the winter with appropriate tyres, but I saved them the confusion by taking a policy out with a more understanding Insurance Company).

What about strut bars? Non OEM body panels? Should I get a discount for fitting a BBK? How about a discount for fitting window film as it makes breaking in a lot more difficult?

Whilst I am sure it is not the case, your apparent attitude to this subject seems to imply that you feel it is acceptable not to declare mods.

you are correct, it is not the case

i can not see how you can judge my attitude when all i have written are the facts as i know them, i have not said that i feel it is acceptable, merely pointing out how the costs are not necessary afforded by the innocent third party

What's the definition of a modification in Insurance terms?

Is fitting an OEM boot spoiler a mod? How about a non OEM exhaust back box? LED tail lights and HID headlights? What about fitting different size or make of tyre to those originally supplied on the car from OEM?

Aftermarket ICE? Is it not legal if you fail to tell your insurance company? If not, why not, as you could argue better ICE makes the car more attractive to thieves, same reason the Noddy Dog gave me for wanting more of a premium when I fitted non standard rims, despite the fact that they didn't cost anymore than a set of new replacement rims from a Lexus dealer.

Quote from Churchill policy Book

"Changes made to your vehicle which improve its value,performance,handling or attractiveness to thieves."

Quote from Esure and Churchill Car Insurance Schedule.

"Any modifications to manufacturers original specification, eg to wheels,suspension,bodywork,engine"

I declared that my GS 430 had 18" Sport wheels instead of 17" as specified, also that it had factory satnav. this did not increase my premium but could be a getout for the insurers if I had not declared them.

The answer is that if you knowingly fail to discose anything which makes the car different to original spec then you are risking invalidating your cover. Check what it says on your schedule of insurance.

They accept the insurance risk on a car and decide the premium based on the facts that they are given. The person taking out the policy has to declare that all relevant info has been disclosed. One of the questions asks if the car has been modified and if so in what way. By failing to declare relevant info such as modifications 3 things occur.

2. You leave yourself at risk of being unable to obtain insurance in the future as you will be on the insurance database as a fraudster.

1. all or part ?? so which part would be invalidated ?

2. !

3. which offence ?

By failing to declare relevant info such as modifications 3 things occur.

2. !

3. which offence ?

1. Not specified..may a/"reject or reduce your claim"

b/"cancel the policy and treat it as if it had never existed"or

c/"do both the above"

2. Insurance companies club their info together with each other and the Police onto a database to help tackle fraud and fraudulent claims.

3. The Road Traffic Act states that it is an offence to make a false statement, or to withhold information, to obtain a Certificate of Motor Insurance.

The above information is freely available and a lot of it can be found in your Insurance policy Book, your Motor Insurance Schedule or your Motor Proposal Confirmation.

Check yours!

By failing to declare relevant info such as modifications 3 things occur.

2. !

3. which offence ?

1. Not specified..may a/"reject or reduce your claim"

b/"cancel the policy and treat it as if it had never existed"or

c/"do both the above"

2. Insurance companies club their info together with each other and the Police onto a database to help tackle fraud and fraudulent claims.

3. The Road Traffic Act states that it is an offence to make a false statement, or to withhold information, to obtain a Certificate of Motor Insurance.

The above information is freely available and a lot of it can be found in your Insurance policy Book, your Motor Insurance Schedule or your Motor Proposal Confirmation.

Check yours!

why do you believe i need to check mine ! :unsure:

:whistling: I'm sure the relevant info is printed very plainly on your insurance docs, probably easier for you to read through your particular policy requirements. :)

I think you are lost in your world of trying to imply I endorse or that I am not correctly insured

the facts are that an insurance Company can not escape their third party obligations, by withdrawing or canceling an insurance policy, after an incident has occurred, they may and can claim all of their expenses incurred from the policy holder though

most insurance will insure car audio up to 500 pound as standard at no cost. but i guess depending what you have 500 might not even cover a good head unit or whtever,

also if the head unit has a removeable face they will only cover it if you have the face off in your possesion lol

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links