Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Handling

As I'm new to the club and to lexus ownership just out of interest whats the handling of the IS200 like? I've driven one in the past but never drove one in a lively way. Can they be tail happy? Is there anything I should look out for? I'm new to rwd cars but have always wanted one so when my car gets on the road at least I'm prepared ;)

As I'm new to the club and to lexus ownership just out of interest whats the handling of the IS200 like? I've driven one in the past but never drove one in a lively way. Can they be tail happy? Is there anything I should look out for? I'm new to rwd cars but have always wanted one so when my car gets on the road at least I'm prepared ;)

well they are not the most powerfull rwd car but compaired to some the quality is ten times better. i have a 99 se model with no diff yet and i can still get the tail out. i plan to get a diff in when i get my hands on one witch should make it even better. also since i put my coilovers in its a lot more stable when it catches grip again after getting the tail out.

great car especially if it your first rwd

Mines a 52 SE so similar to yours mate, but an auto. When I first got interested in rwd cars I always loved S14's and would still love to own one but the only thing thats ever put me back is the running costs, insurance etc and depreciation cos they're nissans. How hard is it to get the tail out on the IS tho mate? Is it only in wet weather that its possible? Also, whats the traction control like on the IS? Is it good at doing its job and does it keep the tail in or not?

Mines a 52 SE so similar to yours mate, but an auto. When I first got interested in rwd cars I always loved S14's and would still love to own one but the only thing thats ever put me back is the running costs, insurance etc and depreciation cos they're nissans. How hard is it to get the tail out on the IS tho mate? Is it only in wet weather that its possible? Also, whats the traction control like on the IS? Is it good at doing its job and does it keep the tail in or not?

is easy in wet but still possible in dry, not sure about an auto tho? think a manual would be better. i wanted an s14 too but it not the running cost that put me off it that most of them have been ruined with big drift kits or modified beond everyday use or just falling apart,

nearly bought one till i got it checked out an it was a cat c right off. but def more of a tail happy car as standard.

I've got an '02' SE Auto (so quite similar to yours) and don't find it particularly tail happy. In the wet you need to be more sensible as with any rear wheel drive car - one thing to watch out for in the auto is don't plant your foot in the middle of a roundabout and make the car downshift - I've done this a few times and got the car seriously sideways, if you're not on the ball that can easily end in tears :crybaby:

The TRC is ok, kills too much power and for far too long but it does it's job. In the dry I don't think it's entirely necessary as there's decent grip in the IS, but in the wet it's best to keep it on.

well they are not the most powerfull rwd car

obviously not, but for a 10 year old car...was in in its class compared to equivalent BMW, merc etc

i have a 99 se model with no diff yet

You do have a diff

and i can still get the tail out. i plan to get a diff in when i get my hands on one witch should make it even better. also since i put my coilovers in its a lot more stable when it catches grip again after getting the tail out.

obviously when you get your tail out your doing this on private roads, what you think this is Fast and Furious, if you want to "Drift" get the car set up properly, and go to tracks.

the car is a very good handling car without doing any modifications, its a very stable and well balanced platform

oh the traction control is usless i keep it off, what ya need thet for if you want the tail out

its effective, for Normal driving

well they are not the most powerfull rwd car

obviously not, but for a 10 year old car...was in in its class compared to equivalent BMW, merc etc

i have a 99 se model with no diff yet

You do have a diff

and i can still get the tail out. i plan to get a diff in when i get my hands on one witch should make it even better. also since i put my coilovers in its a lot more stable when it catches grip again after getting the tail out.

obviously when you get your tail out your doing this on private roads, what you think this is Fast and Furious, if you want to "Drift" get the car set up properly, and go to tracks.

the car is a very good handling car without doing any modifications, its a very stable and well balanced platform

oh the traction control is usless i keep it off, what ya need thet for if you want the tail out

its effective, for Normal driving

i meant i didnt have a lsd, i did not mean to upset you i was telling the guy my honest opinion of the car and i do not think i am in the fast and furious, i have been driving for 9 years so far with no accidents (touch wood) so i must be doing something right. also i do attend track days, as well as cruises and car shows where i can have a bit more fun than i do on the road but this does not mean i dont have a bit of fun on empty roads when i feel safe to do so.

no offence meant monster-mat

I was a bit worried about the handling of my IS200 Sport when i got it, but since I put a full set of decent tyres on it, it's been much better.

My previous car was an MG ZS, which did respond better to cornering hard, but then the ride quality in the MG was not great compared to the Lexus, so to be fair the Lexus has a better all-round setup, it's much more comfortable for everyday driving and it's rare that the extra handling of my other car is missed.

Your talking "progressive traits" and thrust limits.

Taking FWD to the Yaw limit it will under steer, RWD over-steer, this is hardly a surprise either way.

The saturation point is beyond everyday driving and the IS has superb tolerance despite the known chassis issues... Tyre wear is one issue but handling is another.... The IS is a roll model regarding steady state handling globally in my opinion.

Your talking "progressive traits" and thrust limits.

Taking FWD to the Yaw limit it will under steer, RWD over-steer, this is hardly a surprise either way.

The saturation point is beyond everyday driving and the IS has superb tolerance despite the known chassis issues... Tyre wear is one issue but handling is another.... The IS is a roll model regarding steady state handling globally in my opinion.

To be honest the main difference I noticed between the Lexus and the MG is that the ultra-firm suspension on the MG stops it leaning when you corner hard, where as with the Lexus it can pitch about a bit.

However, I'm still getting used to the Lexus now that it having a full set of good tyres on it, in fact today I've just been out and then set the pressures to 35psi all round. Again this made a big difference, and I have to say the handling seems excellent now. Very impressed.

The ride is a bit firmer than when I got the car and it was running on rubbish budget tyres, but it's tranformed the roadholding. When I got the front set fitted, my missus could tell the difference from the passenger seat, those Semperit tyres really were that bad.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links