Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

How To Improve Your Fuel Conspumtion

how about changing to higher octane fuel, and changing to and aftermarket air filter. making the car breath better

i am running super unleaded in mine and it 8p a litre dearer and i def gettin less miles for my money. the air filter looks very small and restrictive standard so i have a k&n panel filter off eBay for good price. but still not sure how it affects my mpg

Opinion seems to be divided on the so called premium fuels. It may be worth thinking about and giving a trial to - say over a 3 month period to see whether the increased cost of the fuel actually does make a difference or not. Some say it does, when I tried it there was no noticable difference except the garage cashier asking me for more money. I also have a K&N panel filter that I bought to see if it would increase fuel economy - I paid around £35 for it, and it maybe makes a tiny difference on the motorway but you'd have to drive a couple or three tens of thousands of miles to make the purchase cost back.

The best way with the IS is to accept that poor fuel economy is just part and parcel of the ownership - we suffer worse economy than other makes but we don't spend as much time at the side of the road or in garages being ripped off. That's how I think about it. :)

how many km/miles to a tank?

if you want fuel consumption do not fill up. imagine the weight of a 5 litre drum of water, now imagine weight of 70 odd litres of petrol in the tank, will kill your mpg guaranteed.

light tank less weight stop more often

:D

how many km/miles to a tank?

How long is a piece of string? Economy depends on manual/auto, driving style, type of roads, lengh of journeys etc. What one person gets isn't likely to be the same as another one. I get approx 25mpg round town and 35-40mpg on a run but I drive carefully and don't drive fast. I get about 30mpg on a combined run.

:shifty: Hi guys, first of all let me intro myself. I'm 34 and from singapore and have been driving the IS200 since may 05.

Fuel consumption, well its a sticky question but has some very simple answers to it. Truthfully i'm getting 610km to 680km per tank and i top up when the light comes on and its abt 59l to 61l of 98 unleaded petrol.

Well this is what i actually did, i understood the importance of running in the car from day 1 of my purchase. If you can really be discipline enough to run in your car properly for the first 10,000 km, it would do wonders for your engine and drivetrain and fuel consumption. :winky:

Secondly, stick to this motto; "its not how fast you drive, its how you drive fast!" :hehe: Simple pick up points to consider and know when to accelerate and when to decelerate without being too slow. Our ride is kinda simple to drive, Have u guys tried using the ECT ON?? well it does wonders to yr fuel consumption and pick up if you know how to use it to your advantage. B)

Dragging yr gear or engine wastes alot of fuel, get into yr desired gear or speed fast without dragging in high RPMs unless you are racing. To do this, imagine yr neck is between your right foot and the pedal, now how hard would u press?

Inflate your tyres everytime your pump fuel and keep yr tyres at optimal level. Get your geometry done too.

My ride is stock wihout changing anything, no KNN filters or whats so ever. Lastly enjoy your ride and journey everytime u drive, it will actually save alot on your fuel too. Think why i said this :P

Welcome to LOC leoboy. A lot of what you have posted is very good commonsense. I do, however, take issue with one piece of your advice. To inflate your tyres every time you put fuel in would be extremely foolhardy. You will have driven your car for varying distances at varying speeds. Each time you check your pressures you will show different figures owing to temperature variations of your tyres and the air inside. You should only inflate tyres that are "cold" otherwise you will never have "optimal level."

Welcome to LOC leoboy. A lot of what you have posted is very good commonsense. I do, however, take issue with one piece of your advice. To inflate your tyres every time you put fuel in would be extremely foolhardy. You will have driven your car for varying distances at varying speeds. Each time you check your pressures you will show different figures owing to temperature variations of your tyres and the air inside. You should only inflate tyres that are "cold" otherwise you will never have "optimal level."

hear hear lol

when i used to race go karts we set tyres cold and after each heat the pressures had risen quite a bit, think it was 2 - 4 psi different.

hear hear lol

when i used to race go karts we set tyres cold and after each heat the pressures had risen quite a bit, think it was 2 - 4 psi different.

So if tyres are inflated hot to the recommended pressure, they would, working on that basis be 2-4 psi under when they cool down and probably a lot more if you inflate during a longish run where your tyres have heated more. Result...excessive tyre wear, reduced fuel economy and more importantly reduced safety.

hear hear lol

So if tyres are inflated hot to the recommended pressure, they would, working on that basis be 2-4 psi under when they cool down and probably a lot more if you inflate during a longish run where your tyres have heated more. Result...excessive tyre wear, reduced fuel economy and more importantly reduced safety.

sounds about right lol

Hi dave, thank you.

You are absolutely right and thats what i exactly do. I pump my tyres mostly when they r cold cuz i normally pump fuel when i start out from home, My pump station is exactly 3.1km from my house. Singapore is kinda small :winky: .

And if have to fuel up halfway thru my journey( extremely seldom), then i do not pump my tyres. on the average i pump my tyres once a week setting off for the day from home. Well if all of you pump at least once every week before setting off for the day then i guess you wont have to worry with hot tyres. Tyres take abt 6 hours to cool down.

thanks for verifying on that so that the rest know exactly when to pump. I missed that out.

if you want fuel consumption do not fill up. imagine the weight of a 5 litre drum of water, now imagine weight of 70 odd litres of petrol in the tank, will kill your mpg guaranteed.

light tank less weight stop more often

:D

Definitely good advice. I don't do a lot of miles going to work (just as well owning an IS200!), so I just put 1/2 a tank in - 35 litres. That lasts me at least a week.

:shifty: SInce we are on tips to saving fuel, heres a few tips, not from me but from the so called "experts". Happy reading as some of the tips are useful. Knowledge is power, but with great power, comes great responsibility :shutit:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/automobil...pumping_gas.htm

http://urbanlegends.about.com/gi/dynamic/o...42/article.html

light right foot lol.

not sure just keep your tyres at proper psi, make sure your track is right, recently serviced with plugs filter ect. dont think there any real way to do it.

gas conversion?

I am confused as to what is the correct psi for tyres; book says one thing and garage tells me another - anyone help out please? (Mine's an IS200, auto, 52 plate.

As for tyre pressures, most people run them at 35 PSI - the 33 quoted in the handbook always felt a little bit low to me

For fuel economy, try making the most of the fuel cut-off on the over-run - when you're slowing down to a stop, don't do what most people do and just press the clutch pedal down and coast once you drop below about 2,000 RPM - instead, keep your foot off the clutch until you're down to about 1,000-1,100 RPM. This is because on the over-run (ie you're foot is off the throttle and the car is slowing down with engine braking), the engine actually cuts the fuel until you dip down to about 1,200 RPM where it starts feeding it back in again to stop the engine stalling if you do suddenly press the clutch. If you press the clutch and coast, the engine still has to consume fuel to keep it ticking over, as there isn't any connection to the wheels to keep it turning.

In the higher gears, you don't get too much engine braking, so you don't have to worry too much about the car jerking when you lift off, but you still have to be careful, and don't risk rear-ending people in the quest for fuel efficiency (and watch the road, not just the rev-counter!).

Since I've started doing this, it seems to add about 1mpg (mine normally gets about 33-34mpg from a tank), although some of this may just be down to me actually thinking ahead, and trying to back off the throttle earlier rather than just braking at the last minute - which is a good driving style to adopt for fuel saving - but again, don't risk rear-ending people - use the brakes if you need to!!!

As for tyre pressures, most people run them at 35 PSI - the 33 quoted in the handbook always felt a little bit low to me

i have 18 wheels with 40 section tyres running at 35psi an i still think they look a tad soft at the ground.

anyone no if lower profile needs higher psi???

light right foot lol.

not sure just keep your tyres at proper psi, make sure your track is right, recently serviced with plugs filter ect. dont think there any real way to do it.

gas conversion?

I am confused as to what is the correct psi for tyres; book says one thing and garage tells me another - anyone help out please? (Mine's an IS200, auto, 52 plate.

then do as the book says, the book was printed by the manufacturer

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links