Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sneaky

dave1

Scumbags :tsktsk:

If you are speeding in a 30mph residential area you are the scumbag and deserve to be caught........

WOAH there !!!!! Did i say i speed.??? NO just making a point.!!.. :angry: ..Yeah i completly agree with you...and around near schools..!!..I guess YOU never speed then.? even slightly.? :whistling:

Reason i say SCUMBAG is because MOST police never do it near a school or where they should do....they tend to do it where they can get the most amount of people and the most amount of revenue.!......

THAT is my point..do it where it IS needed...!!! ;)

Scumbags :tsktsk:

If you are speeding in a 30mph residential area you are the scumbag and deserve to be caught........

Reason i say SCUMBAG is because MOST police never do it near a school or where they should do....they tend to do it where they can get the most amount of people and the most amount of revenue.!......

THAT is my point..do it where it IS needed...!!! ;)

Or put it another way and target areas where there's evidence of speeding and targeting particular hot spots. Problem with having 'set' locations for speed traps is that people learn where they are - might as well erect a GATSO there - by selecting problem areas at random catches people unaware and is effective at slowing down traffic. I agree that it would be fantastic to have an officer outside every school, but most roads around schools are very congested at problem times, that's it's difficult to get to 30mph - let alone exceed it! The only thing the Police have left in their war against people abusing the rules of the road is the element of suprise. You can't take that off them.

Y2Kanjar - The Police are there to do a job, one day you might need them. Have you ever stopped to think that the average Police officer deals with criminals for most of their day - they get kicked, punched, sworn at by kids, bricks thrown at their cars, hassle from the public, pressure from the government and so on. Cut them some slack - they're only trying to do a job.

I don't have a problem with the speed traps like the cop in the picture - he's wearing very bright clothes, and it appears to be a residential area with wide roads, i.e. a classic place where speeds can easily drift up well over 30 even though there's what looks like family housing in the background. So he's easily visible and in an area that (appears from the picture) to be just where speed enforcement is needed. If you get caught here, tough.

It's the ones in unmarked vans, often parked illegally in a layby, bus stop or on hatchings on quiet open roads with a camera through the window that wind me up - or the unmanned ones hidden in wheelie bins or behind bridges on dual carriageways etc.

Amen. Got it in one.

If I could hazard a gues which member wrote that, I'd only need 1 guess :winky:

It's the ones in unmarked vans, often parked illegally in a layby, bus stop ......

Saw one the other night on the south side of Wandsworth Bridge, parked on a double Red Route tucked on the left in the cut out.

As you come over the brow of the bridge at 2.30am (from north side towards Wandsworth) completely unaware sneaky old bill have a

white van illegaly parked to get ya. I wasn't speeding but being honest on a big wide road at that time of the morning with vey little or

no traffic about, it would be easy to let your speed creep up. It wasn't there earlier in the evening when the traffic was much busier

and pedestrians were about. Pure sneaky b :tsktsk: ards

I'm sorry but catching people doing 35 in a 30 is not a good use of police time in my opinion.........

I'm not talking about speeding through 30 zones at 60, but if you're doing around 35 it makes barely any difference - it's not as though if you're doing 30 you'll be clearly visible, but at 35 you'll just come from nowhere!

Come on, let's be sensible, I don't see why the motorist always has to bear all the responsibility - what about the moron who just wanders out into the street?

I saw a guy once get run over by a bus doing 20mph! I'm sure people have seen the stats of how many accidents are actually the result of excessive speed...............even taking my own experience, have had 2 accidents in my driving career, neither my fault, one was while stationary and the other was while travelling at the speed limit (40mph).

I'd love to hear how many people in their own experiences have been involved in or witness to accidents that were a result of speeding..........(I'd hazard a guess that it will be under 10%)

Concentration is the key, NOT speed :)

I'm sorry but catching people doing 35 in a 30 is not a good use of police time in my opinion.........

I'm not talking about speeding through 30 zones at 60, but if you're doing around 35 it makes barely any difference - it's not as though if you're doing 30 you'll be clearly visible, but at 35 you'll just come from nowhere!

How wrong that is that the extra 5mph doesn't make a difference. The extra 5mph puts a significant extra amount of kinetic energy into an object weighing more than 1 tonne. The effect that has on the pedestrian is significant - the liver and spleen are more likely to rupture, the pelvis and the femur may break or shatter, 1 tonne at 35 mph hitting your chest will likely cause fractured ribs, flail chest and likely a collapsed lung.

If you hit a pedestrian or cyclist at 20mph, there's a 95% chance of survival. If you hit one at 30mph, the chance of survival is 80%. If you hit one at 40mph, the chance of survival is 10%. Increasing speed from 30 to 35mph increases impact force by a third.

Now say that catching people in a 30mph zone isn't a good use of police time. You can concentrate all you like, but if you're going too fast to be able to stop in time, there's nothing you can do about it.

I do agree that the moron that wanders into the street must bear some responsibility, but at the end of the day, they don't have one and a half tonnes of metal to protect them and it's all very well saying who's responsibility it is when we in the emergency services get called upon and have to pick up the pieces. (have you ever had to scrape up a dead child off the road by the way? Let me tell you it's one of the most horrible jobs anyone can ever do)

(have you ever had to scrape up a dead child off the road by the way? Let me tell you it's one of the most horrible jobs anyone can ever do)

Thankfully no, but I have seen a cyclist being taken off the road having been crushed by a truck which was truly horrible...........again, an accident that happened at under 5mph (incredibly painful watching something like that happening and not being able to do a single thing to stop it).

At the end of the day, the truth of it is that you're more likely to be hit by the person doing 30mph while on the phone (handsfree), smoking, eating, etc than the person who's paying full attention to the road and doing 35.

In my view, all the above are the same crime, so why are there no police on the road looking for people eating Mars bars while driving.............

At the end of the day, the truth of it is that you're more likely to be hit by the person doing 30mph while on the phone (handsfree), smoking, eating, etc than the person who's paying full attention to the road and doing 35.

Very valid point. Can't disagree with it. You could just cover all bases and not do either :P

Very valid point. Can't disagree with it. You could just cover all bases and not do either :P

In an ideal world, you're absolutely right.........on a separate note, does anyone else find it physically difficult to drive the IS at 30mph without using the cruise control? With the pressure required on the accelerator pedal, I find the car easier to drive at 40..........not making excuses but I actually find it really hard to maintain the ridiculously light pressure required on the throttle to keep it at 30 :shutit:

I'm the 1st to admit i probably nip just over the legal limits when traveling in residential areas a lot of it has to do with the refinement of modern cars nowa days traveling at 30 on the outside sometimes feels like a crawl from the inside however the limit is the limit its the law if you get caught then take the punishment I would (if i was caught)

However I don't agree with some points made that "35 in a 30 should be acceptable" after all if the limit was 35 most of us would travel at 40 and still have the same argument it would never end We should all keep our speed down on residential roads but motorways. there was discussions recently about increasing the speed limit but coming down harder on people who broke the new law's I agree wack it up to 150 and anyone over that gets locked up for 50yrs :blush:  :blush:  :tomato:  :tomato:

Try and think of this. If you are travelling at 30mph and stomp on your brakes, the highway code says it will take you 23 metres to stop. So, if you have someone walk out infront of you from 23 metres the speed you will be doing by the time you reach them your speed will be 0 mph.

If your travelling at 35 mph, by the time you have coverd 23 metres, by the time you come into contact with the person infront of you, you will still be travelling at 21 mph as apposed to 0mph.

The weakest link in any safety situation in terms of driving is the person behind the wheel. When your in a 30mph limit, try and think of why it is set at 30mph. When you think about what could go wrong and what you might do in that situation, it might just knock that 5mph off your speed.

And always remember, it's only going to go as fast as your pushing that accelerator pedal down. I know in terms of refienment in modern cars can make you feel somewhat distant from the driving experience, and owning an LS430 I can vouch for this, but you have a speedometre that indicates how fast you are going. The simple answer is use it a bit more. I'm not saying stare at it, but glance at it ocassionally just like you would your rear view mirror or door mirrors.

As I have said in previous threads, it's everyone's responsability to make sure they are driving to the best of their ability and speeding seems to be mostly down to innatentiveness. I don't mean the kind of person that does 100 in a 30, I mean people who do 35 in a 30.

That's my 5p's worth.

Jim.

wack it up to 150 and anyone over that gets locked up for 50yrs :blush:  :blush:  :tomato:  :tomato:

Agree with that, 150 may be a little excessive but I agree with the logic, a 100mph speed limit on the motorway would be quite reasonable.........plus they'd also have to introduce punishments for anyone doing less than 80 in the right lane :winky:

If your travelling at 35 mph, by the time you have coverd 23 metres, by the time you come into contact with the person infront of you, you will still be travelling at 21 mph as apposed to 0mph.

And always remember, it's only going to go as fast as your pushing that accelerator pedal down. I know in terms of refienment in modern cars can make you feel somewhat distant from the driving experience, and owning an LS430 I can vouch for this, but you have a speedometre that indicates how fast you are going. The simple answer is use it a bit more. I'm not saying stare at it, but glance at it ocassionally just like you would your rear view mirror or door mirrors.

Agree with the thought behind what you've said, but the highway code stopping distances are way out of date. Ok they can't change them as there are people with old cars, and others who don't service their new ones, but for anyone with a well maintained modern car, those distances are nonsense.

The other point goes back to what I originally said about CONCENTRATION..............how many people here when they drive past a speed camera spend far more time staring at their speedo than looking at the road? I know I do, and if someone runs out into the road while going past one there's a lot more chance they're going to get run over. It is far more sensible to drive at a speed where it is comfortable and you have full concentration on the road, than to keep checking your speedo to make sure you're doing 30 as you're wasting valuable concentration on something that isn't particularly important.

I know I'm not going to win this one so I'll back down, but it really annoys me the number of people you see on the road do ridiculously dangerous things just because they're not concentrating - speed is never a factor, it's just that they're not paying attention.

And I wasn't saying it's hard to do 30 because of the refinement, I meant it's actually physically difficult as you have to have such a light pressure on the throttle pedal to cruise at 30 - which I find ridiculously difficult to maintain (but that's probably more because I'm totally retarded! :P )

I spend all day on the roads and I see some really amazing things. People's inability to be able to control a car safely can be very scary at the best of times and I think that speeding is only the tip of the iceberg. Also, with the highway code, it's not really the fact that it is out of date, but you have to take into account the inattentiveness of the majority of driver out there. I think their reluctance to change the distances is a reflection of how the majority of people drive out there. A relience on vehicle safety has made concentration levels in driving fall quite dramatically. Knowing that people have airbags, abs, esp, traction controll, collision avoidence etc, makes me feel nervous as they think the car will sort it out for them.

My day mostly consists of me trying to explain to my pupils the dangers of speeding and the consequences of doing it. Then whilst we are doing 30mpg in a 30, being overtaken by nearly everybody, it gets very difficult to make sure that when they are out there on their own that they will do these speed limits. People are mostly LED by example and no matter how much time I spend explaining about speed limits, it's obvious that when they have got their licence, a majority of them are going to be doing what the vast majority of motorists are going to be doing. That is speeding and driving badly.

I would like to finish by saying the more time you spend doing the speed limits, the more it becomes the norm of your everyday driving. Before I became a driving instructor, I used to do 35 in a 30, 45 in a 40 etc and I must admit it took a bit of practice to to bring my speed down, but once I cracked it, if I find myself going slightly over the limit, it doesn't feel right so it's not impossible to switch it around.

If you were to take an advanced driving test, either the IAM or the Rospa, you would be expected to drive at speed limits where it is safe and not to go over them. Even in overtaking situations. It can be done, it is just weather or not you have a resistance to making a positive change to your driving or not.

I'll call it a day now as I could go on for hours about it. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and I appologise for sounding a bit teacherish about this but road safety has been a passion of mine for a few years now.

Jim.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links