Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Castrol Warning

Talisker

Hey guys,

I heard a shocking rumour the other day that Castrol oil has merged with some other company and is now producing sub-standard oil in the guise of their new line of oils, 'Castrol Edge'.

Has anyone else heard this rumour? I'm tempted to switch to another brand like Mobil 1. Any recommendations?

Hey guys,

I heard a shocking rumour the other day that Castrol oil has merged with some other company and is now producing sub-standard oil in the guise of their new line of oils, 'Castrol Edge'.

Has anyone else heard this rumour? I'm tempted to switch to another brand like Mobil 1. Any recommendations?

Castrol has been owned by BP since around 2001, so hardly think a merger is possible with any other company.

Castrol Edge is a very good synthetic oil, and it's been around since 2005. Aston Martin even chose Edge for its GT race cars, and they ran it in the 24-hour race at Le Mans. They reckon it even gives them four to five more bhp and after stripping the engine found it in better condition than with previous oils. All new Aston Martin Vantages now come filled with Castrol Edge, so should be OK for your Toyota.

Hey guys,

I suppose a little Googling to check on the status of Castrol before posting rumours was out of the question?

Hey guys,

I suppose a little Googling to check on the status of Castrol before posting rumours was out of the question?

Yes it was. It was a friendly post, there's no need to be sarcastic.

Hey guys,

Friendly to whom exactly? You repeated or perhaps started a rumour stating what is fairly obviously an untruth concerning Castrol Edge Oils. You also appear to infer that you are currently using Castrol Edge synthetic oil in your IS200 and thinking of changing to Mobil 1. I agree with Mike_B, you could easily have searched for the information your required, if that was your intent, without having to post something resembling slander.

• 3 weeks later...

Castol is a semi-synthetic AND NOT FULL SYNTHETIC - and due to a loop hole is called full synthetic, following a lengthy lawsuit. Castrol's origins hark back to castor bean oil and generally speaking isn't fully synthetic. However i've had several laps of a local race track (10+) at 135 degrees celcius (unbeknown to me is complete and utter engine suicide) and the 1g-fe copped it no problem, and still makes similar power to what it did when i aquired the car 60k miles ago. HOWEVER, the 1g-fe is a really, really, REALLY conservatively built and 'tuned' engine.

At a recent track meet, my IS saw over 6 hours of continuous rev-limiter-bashing treatment by me and 5 other drivers over 350km of track work and the thing NEVER missed a beat. It still starts no problem and pulls as hard as it did from day one. Notwithstanding HOT australian weather conditions. It ran the whole day on Castrol edge with no problem.

However though my DEFI oil pressure gauge, i've noticed quite a large drop in oil pressure in all driving conditions using Royal Purple Fully Synthetic oil. A drop in oil pressure relates loosely to a higher flow rate or viscosity... which is essentially what you want from an engine oil. Thickness or thiness doesn't matter, viscosity is the key.

My point is, the 1g-fe will be bullet-proof regardless of which engine oil you use, but if you want the best for whatever reason, Castrol edge is not what you should use.

My point is, the 1g-fe will be bullet-proof regardless of which engine oil you use, but if you want the best for whatever reason, castrol edge is not what you should use.

So what do you base that on then? It's good enough for Aston Martin after their tests and was pretty successful this year in the World Rally Championship, but you know better, or is that just personal opinion?

The first Burmah-Castrol oil was based on Castor Vegetable Oil, but that was back in 1906 when Charles Wakefield started the Company. The well known Castrol 'R' had castor oil as a base, but the 'R' didn't stand for 'racing', just 'Rotary' as it was developed originally in 1909 for rotary aero engines. Castrol 'R' is still available in the 'Classic' range, not a bad oil, smells really good, but gums up your engine over time.

Most of the modern Castrol oils now are derived from mineral oils, not veggy oil.

http://www.castroledge.fr/en/#/products/

I've used Castrol Edge 0W-30 in my LS430 for the last two oil changes. I get the oil and filter changed every six months. When you start the engine from cold, it does rev higher before it settles down so there must be a reduction in friction. I can't see my engine blowing up any time soon.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links