Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tatty Brake Callipers

SteJ

Thought my GS300's brake callipers were looking decidedly tatty today, so decided to give them a facelift................

front_brake_2_before.thumb.jpg

Tidied them up with a wire brush, rubbed them down with white spirit to clean them up, ang gave them 2 coats of Hammerite Smooth in gold.

front_brake_before_after.thumb.jpgRear_wheel_before_after.thumb.jpgBefore_after.thumb.jpg

IM000936_1.thumb.jpg

I thought about red, but already had some gold left over from another job. Total project cost : less than a fiver.

Yeah, I was contemplating that next, but I've seen some on the IS's, which seem to have different rears (callipers). If you look at the rear callipers on mine, there doesn't seem to be much space for a sticker.

(I've posted original piccies in the 'misc' section in the gallery, can't quite get the hang of posting a decent size photo in a forum posting)

'Sold to the man at the back in the silver Lexus'

Just ordered a set of 'black', should finish them off just nicely, as you say.

I've got a tin of clear spray lacquer in the garage as well, which was nice.

Total project cost now soared to an astronomical £15!!

I'm getting a bit carried away here, but does anybody know the availability of alloy wheel centre-caps with the Lexus 'L' logo on them?

I'm on about the small disc at the centre, and not the actual wheel-nut cap/cover. Think they're about 2".

Ste

excellent work mate - looks the terriers testes mate

;)

your calipers looked like they were suffering from the corrosion problem that I, and several other IS owners, have been complaining about for a while.

Are you saying that you anaged to take a wire brush to the calipers, and bring them back to looking like that?

If so, it would be great if you could do a workshop type article on how you did it - would be more than one person interested in that

Yeah, Matt, to be fair, there wasn't much wire brushing needed. Just a light buffing to get any loose rust and cr@p off before the paint went on.

Must admit, looks ten times better now in the flesh. I put the previous condition down to 'Lexus Lurgy', as you say, apparently quite common amongst lexus brake callipers.

The largest picture is the state of the front callipers beforehand, and you can see for yourself the rear wheel mounting looked similarly naff. The big gaps in the wheels only seemed to exaggerate the condition.

The whole thing probably worked out at around an hour per wheel, although the sunny weather assisted drying.

I would be honoured to knock-up such an article, and will have it done within the week.

Steve J.

No, didn't use a primer. I cleaned them up with thinners/white spirit, and just painted it on. I did a similar job on my old Carlton GSi a few years ago, and didn't have any problems with it flaking off, even when power-washing. That Hammerite is quite a heavy duty bit of kit. Once my Lexus calliper stickers come next week, I'll seal it all in anyway with a few coats of clear lacquer.

I did spray the rear-wheel mountings with high-temp. engine spray, not specifically due to the heat, but the fact that it was the only black paint I had in!

Thanks guys,

But it really is an easy d.i.y job to get your teeth into. I'll wait for my stickers to come and knock up a layman's guide to painting etc.

The paint I already had, but they do quite a varied colour range that should suit most car colours etc.

The main tools to crack on would be:

38mm household paint brush (main paint areas)

small artists/modelling brush (more fiddly areas)

Thinners/white spirit (cleaning sh*t off everything prior to painting)

Small tin of appropriate Hammerite Smooth

I used heat resistant spray for the rear-wheel mounting that covers what I'm guessing is the handbrake brake-drum/shoes, but I'm sure normal matt-black spray would suffice, as it shouldn't really become very hot.

Something comfy to sit on whilst doing your Leonardo da'vinci bit (rug/mat etc)

The paint is just bunged straight-on, and doesn't require primer etc.

Great stuff. I've used it for years around the house etc, as I don't think it was designed with brake callipers in mind initially!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links