Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Windows Vista Ultimate Disc 32bit Required On Loan

DJ Wozza

Should I expect a Philips Laptop to be made by Philips ?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. When purchasing a laptop @ PC world I went for a brand name at the best spec I could afford. Do you think I have a right to be totally miffed that my Philips Laptop is a PC World bitsa witha Philips badge on it ?

• Vote yes I am justifiably miffed as I have been mislead
    • Vote no I have not been mislead by Philips or PC World

Had massive Laptop issues for the last week. I have a Philips laptop that is 3 weeks out of warranty and the hard drive

has gone. Now the Hard Drive has been replaced, along with a RAM upgrade, both of my recovery DVD's are not loading

Vista back correctly.

I need a plain Windows Vista Ultimate DVD (32bit) to get my laptop up and running properly again. I have the correct

Windows COA and serial. It must however be the plain Windows Vista Ultimate (32bit) Disc, not a Dell, HP, Compaq etc

branded disc that will only woirk on correspondingly branded machines. I would be happy to pay for the insured postage

both ways for a loan of a DVD for a couple of days.

Please help as I'm not paying Bill Gates silly money for something I am entitled to be able to use.

Cheers for your help :D

Wozza

Mate, I have one ure welcome to have and keep if you are still in need? No loan required. Re-installed last week, have it backed up so don't even need it any more.

No worries if ure sorted now, I've not been on here a for of couple days, been busy drinking. I know all about bad weeks!

Expect Anees will see ya right, but PM me if ya need.

....:D (all will be revealed shortly)

I'd heard that about you :yahoo: lmao.

Cheers guys, best news I've heard all week. Laptop hassles, major work hassles.

I'm off down the computer shop again now, I'm wondering if I will get a parking ticket

if I park thru their front window :tsktsk:

(it now seems like my G-Force graphics card has gone walkabout from my laptop somewhere this week)

I'll update you later :duh:

My lappy is now 500% better than it was after some tinkering at the local PC Shop, but not quite 100% as it should be yet, but at least

it's not freezing every 5 seconds... will get it sorted this week with full tests on the brand new Hard Drive and Memory

(Fujitsu 320Gb and 2Gb Kingston).

A BIG BIG thanks to fellow LOC members for their offers of help, very much appreciated guys :D :D

RANT TIME !!!!!! :tsktsk:

BTW don't buy a Philips Laptop ever. I found out this week they are not made by Philips at all :o (check their website).

No support you would normally expect of such a brand name either.

Philips X57 Laptop ? It's a utter joke. I won't be buying any of their products ever again.

After a long and very angry call to Philips, the extra money I spent on a big name brand was totally wasted, :tsktsk:

as apparently only a few of the components are actually Philips products

(though she wouldn't tell me which ones but the faulty hard drive certainly isn't as I have it on my desk) :o ....

The rest of my "Philips X57 Laptop" is a parts bin bitsa with a Philips badge made up by..........

wait for it.....

you're gonna love this

I really didn't when I found out

PC WORLD/DSG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

I should have paid, (& if I knew this detail back then) I would have paid the extra £100 for a Sony Vaio of exactly the same spec.

I feel cheated as Philips have no product support or back up whatsoever, infact the lady I spoke to couldn't get me off the phone

quick enough so she could rinse her hands of me and my complaint.

A Hard Drive should last longer than 55 weeks IMO.

Before anyone says about not every component in a brand name PC/Laptop being made by other brand names, I understand that.

However my issue is the laptop should have had a PC World or DSG badge on it, as Philips don't wanna know in anyway shape or form.

I purchased the laptop on technical spec and on brand reputation believing if problems occured, I would have Philips back up & technical support.

That's what I paid the premium price for over an Advent, eMachines, Acer, or Medion equivalent machine.

Rant over... I feel better now :D

Most hard drives in laptops/PC are made by Hitachi, Seagate, Western Digital, Samsung. As long as your hard drive is less then three years old you can usually get a replacement from the manufacturer (5 year warranty in the case of Seagate). :D You can usually RMA (return) on there websites.

It matters not which brand you buy. You get what you pay for.

If you are going to shove Windows on it your experience will be as crap as ever.

Why put yourself through it?

*rolls eyes*

http://www.apple.com/hardware

Since Windows is more expensive than OS-X, isn't your argument that 'you get what you pay for' a load of cobblers?

BTW, my Vista laptop still hasn't blown up, bluescreened, died, or indeed done anything especially unpleasant or unexpected since I bought it. Neither has my iMac, so they are exactly even on that score.

Perhaps he wants to do things like join Active Directory domains, and run admin tools for such? Not everything and everyone has solely home-based needs.

I'm surprised that the Philips is made by PC World! Personally PC wise I tend to go for Sony or HP as I like their stuff and it's been totally dependable, although I've also got a Lenovo laptop (ex IBM) which has been pretty good as well :)

Pretty much all laptops are made by third parties anyway, and their components definitely are. Not really sure why it matters that it was screwed together by Chinese children wearing a DSG shirt, as opposed to being screwed together by Chinese children wearing an HP shirt, a Sony shirt, or a Toshiba shirt. Or an apple shirt, for that matter.

Are these laptops only sold in DSG stores? What happens if you'd bought it from a store which went out of business? It's the manufacturer's responsibility to look after you in that case, I've dealt with manufacturer's before when stuff has gone wrong - tell them the shop has closed down and you have to fall back to them...

Mike B: Ummm he could do all that on a Mac. It runs any version of Windows natively should he so wish.

You do get what you pay for. Case in point - I went to the garage this morning and paid for a Red Bull. I took it away with me.

Incidentally the stock answer "Reinstall Windows" is because in a huge number of cases that is the only solution.

Good ole Windows.

Saw a laptop running Vista a few months back. Laptop was at the time only a few months old. Vista came pre-installed. Ran like an absolute dog. If it was mine I'd have taken it back, because it was utterly atrocious.

Meanwhile I'm running here on a Compaq Evo N620c, Windows 2000, never a moment's problem. Not putting XP on it, I like my file and print sharing to actually work ta very much :D

i got 3 laptops and 2 pc working on a wirless network with all the sharing working :P

i bought a sony viao last month and i said i'll keep vista on it...but i hate the damn thing

Vista is based on xp, but all it has is a fancy front end that uses all the memory up !!!

and all it ever ask you is " are you sure you would like to install" " do your really want to allow this to install" "just asking for the last time you wont to install" and it keeps going on and on.

so close to outting on XP

DJ W you shoudl have got a dell or HP - you can't go wrong

The Vista architecture is not based on Windows XP :S - it has been redesigned from the ground up. :D

Come on guys, most computer discussions on here seem to turn into the age old Mac Vs PC debate. I like and use both and appreciate aspects of both operating systems.

Personally speaking, with a laptop, I would get the best that I can afford WITH a 3 year parts and labour warranty; then I have peace of mind for three years and know that my laptop is covered.

Also, yes, Mac’s can run both XP/Vista and OSX natively but a decent spec MacBook/ MacBook Pro costs way more then a similar specification PC. Horses for courses really……..

The Vista architecture is not based on Windows XP :S - it has been redesigned from the ground up. :D

:P thats what i meant lol, vista is still phants, it's restricted and only good for n00bs lol - thats what i think...

did i tell you that vista is PHANTS

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links