Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Chipsaway

jsj24uk

Evening all.

I was following a tipper van which was being driven by some fat useless individual who works for Hertfordshire Council who couldn't be botherd to put a cover over his load. Lets just say he changed lanes with exhuberence and sprayed a fair amount of gravel over the road putting some lovely deep stone chips in my bonet. I need to get them repaired asap as one of them has gone down to the metal and I don't want it to rust.

I've heard of this company called Chipsaway and was wondering if anyone has used them before? I don't fancy having a go with a touch-up pen, wet sanding and polishing as I don't have a rotoray polisher and I'm not experienced enough to make sure I don't make a pigs ear out of it.

Have a good evening all.

Jim.

Thanks for the advice.

This is hertfordshire council we are talking about here. I refused to work for them when they started doing speed awareness courses because I refused to work for a load of pencil pushing monkeys so getting them to pay for it wouldn't be worth the trouble asking. They really are that useless. It wouldn't suprised me that if they did pay for it, they would up my council tax next year to get it all back and more.

Sorry for the rant.

Not just hertfordshire, every council's the same unfortunately - mainly because of the monkeys they employ (to be fair, monkeys would probably do a better job :P )

Have used Chipsaway before to repair a bumper and the results were pretty impressive. We sold the car soon after so don't know if the finish deteriorated over time but it looked spot on for the time we had the car.

Evening all.

I was following a tipper van which was being driven by some fat useless individual who works for Hertfordshire Council who couldn't be botherd to put a cover over his load. Lets just say he changed lanes with exhuberence and sprayed a fair amount of gravel over the road putting some lovely deep stone chips in my bonet. I need to get them repaired asap as one of them has gone down to the metal and I don't want it to rust.

I've heard of this company called Chipsaway and was wondering if anyone has used them before? I don't fancy having a go with a touch-up pen, wet sanding and polishing as I don't have a rotoray polisher and I'm not experienced enough to make sure I don't make a pigs ear out of it.

Have a good evening all.

Jim.

Chipsaway is a franchise (and a not very heavily regulated franchise at that.) You're not really dealing with a company but with an individual therefore you can get very different results from different franchises. When done well - the chipsaway technique can be very effective - but when done badly... well - you'll regret it.

Here's a very informative post from a Chipsaway guy on pistonheads that gives you some hints on how to tell if your local Chips guy is a good'un or a wrong'un.

On my mums red IS200 they used the chipsaway service and a local chap came out and did the job for them, He filled the chips and resprayed them on the drive with an air brush :huh: the paint has already started to peel off and crack and they have had it done twice now but its happend again :( But it probably does depend on who does the job and where they do it? as to me spraying paint in a damp environment is not a good practice :unsure:

Thanks very much for your replies. I have dropped an email to the guy who put some posts on Pistonheads. He's in Cambridge but I don't mind travelling to make sure that the job is done properly. Hopefully I shall hear from him tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Lexus Woodford (and Hills Toyota next door) have their own bodyshop which I have used a few times now and wouldn't take my car anywhere else personally. I think Hatfield contract their work out to another bodyshop which is why I have never used them, in the London area I believe only Woodford and Edgware Road have their own bodyshops, and Woodford is the one I'd recommend.

Service is excellent and prices are reasonable...........make sure you deal with James at Lexus and Sean in the bodyshop and you'll have no problems :)

id stay away from chipsaway or other chipsaway type companies, take ur car to a good bodyshop - pay the little extra and have a good job and piece off mind.

i had a chipsaway franchise a few years bak and after a while the finish off the lacquer goes dull and paint starts to crack, this was the main problem with chipsaway paints.

like i said go to a good reputable paint shop.

jus my 2 pence worth

I used chipsaway....

done a fine job on my IS... they even went to Lexus to get the paint.

They repainted the corner of my rear bumper... when I went to pick it up he wasn't happy with his own work... and asked me when I have time he will redo the job...

he was very good since the first job he did seem perfect to me. but then he did explain that all work was guaranteed so he didn't want me to come back and complain...

I went to the one in Battersea near the helipad. I know these guys are good as they pics of all sorts of supercars they had done up... before after type pics.... with the owners all in the background.

It is a franchise but I got lucky it seems from what others have said.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links