Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 In The Top 5 Most Expensive 4-8 Year Old Cars To Repair

haha funny stuff, but they dont mention that they are comparing it to an MG and Jags which no doubt go wrong a lot more often. My IS has been trouble free for 140k miles, im sure a Jag or MG wouldnt be the same of that age. Just look at the JD power survey.

If you read the source of these results, you will realise that it's reporting the average cost of a repair once the car is out of warranty, and NOT reporting the chances of a car breaking down.

IS200s are known to be ultra reliable, but they are expensive (parts and labour) to fix when things to go wrong (relative to the 100 other cars listed in the survey).

Seeing as companies like Warranty Direct don't pay out on an awful lot of claims (a local garage I know said 9/10 come back refused), these figures aren't worth paying much attention to.

Funny seeing the TF in there, it must be because the head gaskets let go a lot. There's not much else to go wrong on them really, they're pretty straightforward cars!

If you look further down the page it gives the "rate of failure" - The IS is showing at only 9% which puts it a little into perspective more.

If only 1 in 11 require an average bill of £390 then that is much better than say a golf - Which was only £190 but a 23% failure rate

As with any statistics - You can make them portray pretty much anything you want if you pick the right things.

Why is Alfa Romeo's not on there? They may not be most expensive to repair but they break down alot!

That's the thing, I think the survey doesn't have anything to do with how often the car might break down, only how much it would be to repair if it does go wrong.

So a car that needed a one-off repair of £400 gets put in the hall of shame whereas some less relaible makes that need two or three major repair jobs but only cost £300 per job gets ignored. Something not quite fair about that somewhere.

There's definitely a lot to be said for having a car that's under manufacturers warranty.

Where the hell are the BMW's as far as im aware they charge the most for hourly labour £140+ per hour and there parts arent cheap and there not as reliable as the lex's. On fifth gear this week a service on a z4 cost £500 an utter joke.

Apart from tyres..... That's because I didn't know about the Geo from WIM...

All I needed in four years was one brake light bulb... (90p) :P

Lexus IS 200 is a ROCK SOLID CAR.... in my view

I could same the same about my 89 vaux belmont SRI...far more reliable than my IS200

tyre wear,clutch judder, knocking from front suspension area : all major issues suffered by numerous people and clearly 3 design faults that still fox Lexus mechanics to this date

There was a series of articles on the BBC News website a couple of months or so ago, showing exactly how statistics can be (and are) manipulated to show whatever the author wants them to show. Was a great read - 6 articles on the common misconceptions relating to widely used statistical concepts such as averages, 'our survey says', etc etc.

Linky

I'll concur with Mark W - I think any statistics can be warped to say pretty much what you want them to say. I read an article a couple of years ago about the greenest cars on the planet and number 1 was........... a Jeep Wrangler 4.0 V8. Something about total life cost including materials and recycling or something. When you read the small print, you see that the survey was sponsored by...... have a guess........ Jeep!

As with any statistics - You can make them portray pretty much anything you want if you pick the right things.

I have studied statistics, and you can do wonderful things with them, wrapped up the right (or wrong?) way!

Thou I believe twelvety-four percent of all statistics are just made up.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links