Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi all, first post and looking for a guiding hand...

Just a brief background, this happened http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/St-dead-t36868.html so hopefully i will be getting some money fairly soon to buy myself a new motor. TBH the IS250 has always previously slipped unnoticed under my radar until recently.

I took a pair out(auto & man) for some test drives at the weekend and was suitably impressed, so, a few questions, iv driven the manual and the automatic and basically i have never even considered getting an auto until now.

Is this the way to go? From reading this forum it seems to me like the auto is the the one to get and the manual was a bit of an after thought, is this the case?

Do you ever get bored driving the auto? basically im just a bit concerned that im thinking about it as iv only ever thought of autos on mercs and mobility cars and i think im just looking for some reassurance on the matter.

my shopping list was: another ST, civic Type R, saab 9-3, IsS250 and after the weekends test drives its now between the IS and the ST, yes i know they are different types of cars but i like them both.

My previous cars include: S60 D5, BMW 120i, Focus ST and im currently driving around in a Jag X-type(no no no)

Any advice and pointers on what are the best value specs and options to look out for from you guys more than welcome.

Rob.

Both totally different cars there...?

The 250 auto is in a lower CO2 band to the manual and by all accounts is much more in line with the Lexus experience. I have only driven the 250 auto (I have a 220d man) when mine was in and it was very good but lacks urge, where as your ST will have a lot of go but probably cost more in fuel. The auto's seem to hold their value well and are more sought after.

Out of interest have you thought of a Golf GTi 2.0Tfsi, had one of these and have to say I was very impressed, think this could be your compromise between the ST and 250, if driven sensibly you will easily get 34mpg as well...just a thought

Just a brief background, this happened http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/St-dead-t36868.html so hopefully i will be getting some money fairly soon to buy myself a new motor. TBH the IS250 has always previously slipped unnoticed under my radar until recently.

I took a pair out(auto & man) for some test drives at the weekend and was suitably impressed, so, a few questions, iv driven the manual and the automatic and basically i have never even considered getting an auto until now.

Is this the way to go? From reading this forum it seems to me like the auto is the the one to get and the manual was a bit of an after thought, is this the case?

Do you ever get bored driving the auto? basically im just a bit concerned that im thinking about it as iv only ever thought of autos on mercs and mobility cars and i think im just looking for some reassurance on the matter.

my shopping list was: another ST, civic Type R, saab 9-3, IsS250 and after the weekends test drives its now between the IS and the ST, yes i know they are different types of cars but i like them both.

My previous cars include: S60 D5, BMW 120i, Focus ST and im currently driving around in a Jag X-type(no no no)

Any advice and pointers on what are the best value specs and options to look out for from you guys more than welcome.

Rob.

I haven't driven the manual 250, but with the auto 250 you will definitely get bored very soon. The engine is very refined and quiet, but the performance is quite poor. Add to that an auto box and the driving experience becomes very very dull. You have the manual paddle shift to add a bit of excitement, but it's more gimmicky than useful in day to day driving.

Cheers for the reply's guys,

I dont want another bmw, the experience with the 1'er has put me off them for good if not a very long time, i was disappointed with the build quality and all the creaks and rattles and when the ecu went pop 6 months out of warranty and they wanted £1400 to sort it the relationship was over.

Everytime i get in a golf there is an undying sense of utter boredom, i just dont think i could like with the German-ness of it all, far to plain and functional to ever give any pleasure from being in there.

From owning the ST i am used to a car which is group 17 insurance, band F tax and gets low 20's mpg if your lucky, the idea of the plushness of the lexus just reminds me of the volvo days( a car which i really liked) and the performance which isnt anywhere near that of the ST is still ok for a larger car, which along with group 14 insurance and the idea of 30mpg is something i could live with.

Like previously mentioned, maby i am just worried that i got over excited about the idea of paddle shift on a 20min test drive just to find it a gimmick in the long run, but equally i dont want to buy the manual just to find it the 2nd rate option, tax dont really bother me as its only £2 a week difference if you break it down?

Saying all that there is a pristine 330bhp ST just come on the market which is swaying me the other way again, dread to think of the insurance tho and at 27 its still a major consideration.

Rob.

You might find the IS a bit small/cramped after a Volvo S60 - not as much room in the back & the boot is smaller. I found my S60 to be a more comfortable vehicle - the seats are better, both for comfort & driver's position. I notice it in my IS - the pedals are very slightly offset - not a huge problem, but I notice it every time I get in the car.

As for spec - if you have an IS go for the SE at least. I've got multimedia in mine & the rear camera is helpful & the sound system pretty good, but not quite to my taste as much as the Volvo was. The rest of the multi media is, for me, pretty superfluous - no real need of the Bluetooth etc - they're business tools.

As far as the sat nav goes - very good, but no speed cameras. Are you likely to want to pay heavily for updates every year? Probably a better/more flexible option is a TomTom or Garmin etc. - does more or less the same for a lot less money.

This is my first reply so hope it works! The problem with your post is that whilst looking for helpful info, quite rightly, you will receive opinions based on individual experience and preferences. At the end opf the day, take all the info on board and then decide what is important to you.

I purchased an 07 IS250 Auto SE + Multimedia package about 6 weeks ago and am delighted. I was in a Merc CLK 320 and prior to that a Saab 9 5 Griffin. I have done the Jap sports and Jag's etc. I have reached the conclusion that I like comfort with elegance and performance - pretty much in that order. Having said that, the 250 is no slouch, but you need to put your foot down. Using the flappies is a bit of fun, but you can use the gearshift to move through the gears. It can be as boring or as fun as you like - but it will not match the performance of many out there.

I didn't even consider a Lexus until I had looked a 3/5 series BMW's - the price did not warrant the extra power and the comfort and toys were not in the same league as the Lexus IMHO. The only Audi I liked was the new 5 series, and this was too new and expensive.

I did my research before buying and think the auto is definately the way forward. The MM package is great - the rear camera takes some gettng used to but is good - and never fails to impressive the passengers. Playing a DVD is great the sound system superb, and the picture quality excellent. The picture only comes on when the car is stationary and the hand brake (foot operated) applied. I believe there is a hiden menu you can access to change this and other things but I am not ready to take this challange on yet! Th Sat Nav is more complicated than a Tom Tom but won't fall off the windscreen. Beware the speed cameras though!

Value for money undoubted, but I am in an 07 car so think any niggles may have been overcome. If this is helpful please let me know, happy to post again or answer any other questions.

Cheers for the reply's guys,

I dont want another bmw, the experience with the 1'er has put me off them for good if not a very long time, i was disappointed with the build quality and all the creaks and rattles and when the ecu went pop 6 months out of warranty and they wanted £1400 to sort it the relationship was over.

I hear what you are saying and totally understand - but TBH thats what people get for buying a 1 Series :P

I hate them with a passion and cannot see why _anyone_ would want one. The 320si is a 'proper' BMW and one that might tick your 'need for speed' box. No IS will give you the edgy sharp drive that I think you may be hankering for. Lexus (Lexi?) are more for lazy cruising, wafting along in comfort and luxury - which is not wrong if thats what you want.

The IS-F may be the exception here, but thats totally different. Test drive these cars properly...and see how you go. Don't be swayed by the toys - remember you spend more time driving than tinkering :)

Th Sat Nav is more complicated than a Tom Tom but won't fall off the windscreen. Beware the speed cameras though!

I've used tomtom for a long time and seriously prefer Toyota's Nav Software (Specially this latest Generation one that comes on the IS). It is much more acurate and wont tell you to make silly manoeuvres. It just requires a little getting used to and once you are used to it, its really amazing.

And the most important thing is that the graphics in the Nav is Vector based graphics as apposed to TomToms Raster graphics.

If you decide to go for the IS250, make sure it's an auto - it's such a good box but in terms of the two cars it all depends on what you really want. They are so different it's unbelievable that you need to decide whether you want a luxury saloon with adequate power for comfortable cruising, or do you want a mental 300bhp hot hatch.

I think you'll be happy whichever way you go, but it might be right for you to go for the ST now and perhaps go for an IS-F a few years down the line when they're more affordable :winky:

I have had a 250 auto for 2 weeks now and I am well impressed with it. I, also have never had an auto box but think it is great. The performance is smashing and even had it at 140 the other night!!! Sorry but had to try it. It was still quiet, smooth and had plenty more to give. The car will accelerate fast if you just put your foot down! I'm not a boy racer type but, you know, new car and all that.

If I had to go for a fast wee hatch then it would be the Golf GTI with leather and Sat Nav. Great car and was thinking of getting one before I had found the Lexus. Didn't fancy the ST, Type R, Leon, Astra etc and my mrs ordered me not to get the Golf cos she already has one! Agree that the Golf is boring unless in GTI mode.

Thanks again for all the interest guys,

Basically I have came to the lexus by building a short list of the points which i liked most about the cars i have previously owned, this and along with the opinions of others.

What I have learned is that I did enjoy the comfort and luxury offered by the S60 and was never really disappointed by the performance, then I found the BMW and loved the way it handled which I think was mainly down to the rear wheel drive.

What the ST brought to the party was performance and toys, with this I got used to auto wiper/xenon lights and keyless entry.

So its fairly oblivious why I am here knocking on lexus’ door, they are offering me a car with comfort, toys, keyless entry, rearwheel drive and a 2.5 V6. I know there is always going to be compromises but these all need to be weighed and balanced, I know its not going to be as fast as the ST but its still not a slow car and that doesn’t worry me as iv got a sports bike for when the speed bug bites and there is virually no car on the planet that can stick with that. I know its not quite as big and comfy as the S60 but I didn’t really need the space and TBH im not doing those mileages any more so ultimate comfort isn’t a deciding factor and the IS culd never be described and rough could it?

I know there are cars that exist that would fill every ounce of my ideal criteria but at the moment they are out of my reach and a sensible financial line has to be drawn.

From what I have read and understood from your posts, if I acquired myself a nice IS250SE with auto box and a decent set of wheels I would be a fairly happy bunny.

With regard to the rearwheel drive, are empty industrial estates on wet Sunday afternoons fair game if you know what I mean, I used to enjoy sliding the bmw about from time to time.

Cheers again,

Rob

Coming from an st id have thought youd be happier in a 200 with a supercharger/turbo bolted on id have thought that a n/a 250 engine would be a bit boring for you compared to the st.

Dont get me wrong a supercharged is200 will be no faster than a stock 250 however the way it will deliver the power will be different

Th Sat Nav is more complicated than a Tom Tom but won't fall off the windscreen. Beware the speed cameras though!

I've used tomtom for a long time and seriously prefer Toyota's Nav Software (Specially this latest Generation one that comes on the IS). It is much more acurate and wont tell you to make silly manoeuvres. It just requires a little getting used to and once you are used to it, its really amazing.

And the most important thing is that the graphics in the Nav is Vector based graphics as apposed to TomToms Raster graphics.

I am gradually getting used to it and agree it has much more functionality than a Tom Tom etc. You've competely lost me on the Vector v Raster though!

I am gradually getting used to it and agree it has much more functionality than a Tom Tom etc. You've competely lost me on the Vector v Raster though!

With the vector based graphic systems, the quality of the images will never get pixelated no matter how big the screen or the resolution. On the other hand Raster based ones like TomTom use sets of images as maps. These images use high compression like JPEG and can be visible at times and can appear very badly pixelated

With the vector based graphic systems, the quality of the images will never get pixelated no matter how big the screen or the resolution. On the other hand Raster based ones like TomTom use sets of images as maps. These images use high compression like JPEG and can be visible at times and can appear very badly pixelated

Thank you for taking the time to reply, you learn something every day - and with the complexity of the Lexus sat nav I will need to keep the car and live to be 100!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links