Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Noisy Tyres To Be Banned

Tony-Bones

That is the most ridiculous load of bull I've ever heard, it's like those morons who complain about the airport but continue to live there :tsktsk:

Nah the best ones are those that have moved there since the airport was built yet still complain :yahoo:

i never understand that either - when we phone up to ask permission to do a full power engine run at 4am on a sunday on the bay that is right next to the village the tower always refuses... i dont understand it at all....... :whistling:

they even complain when the plane is in the silencer - well dont move next the airport then............

its coz he had super silent rubber boots just like these new tyres are gunna be made of! and no one heard him sneaking in. see they are a bad idea!! but at least we scored again :)

But the logical extension of your argument that more noise is better is that cars should be purpose designed to make as much noise as possible - clearly not such a good idea. The sort of roads where traffic speed is high enough to make life unpleasant for those who live nearby are not the sort of roads where people are likely to just wander out into the street anyway, so the argument that people will dance gaily out straight into the road just because the cars make a bit less noise seems to me somewhat flawed.

I really can't see why people are so anti this piece of legislation - it's almost as though the mere fact that it came out of Europe is enough to turn people against it. Even if the UK left the EU tomorrow, no tyre manufacturer is going to spend millions developing new quiet tyres for Europe and then not sell them in the UK.

How many posts do we see in the Wheels and Tyres forum asking 'which tyres are the quietest'? A darn site more than we see from people asking about 'which tyres are the loudest because those pedestrians just keep on walking out in front of me', that's for sure.

Still, 1-2 away from home, in Berlin! :D

the logic behind my argument is how can they produce a new compound for use on ALL types of roads that is then going to only give a marginally quieter surface contact noise, when all our roads are of full of unequal surface and have different grades of fabric used and build quality? a good percentage of road and tyre noise comes from poorly laid surfaces that bounce about, and vibrate causing the roads and cars to sound 2x as loud, plus then box that noise in with houses, shops, bridges etc. and it then echoes even louder, so the cause of the problem is not the tyres its the amount of traffic that are pummelling the tarmac, and how close we have built to the roads and of all the noise to stop a car making the sound of rubber on tarmac is in my mind the most hardest thing to put a limit on, how are they going to test the noise figures and at what speeds on what surfaces and on what cars? and how are they going to police it as well? cos as has been said no set of tyres will have the same frequency and DB readings on different surfaces, cos im sure with even a drop of 1 psi of air from the tyres or over inflating them will give a different noise? this is such a ridiculous legislation as there are so many factors that can change the ways tyres sound.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/environmen...qvcf/tyrenoise/

The above shows that tyre noise regulations were introduced by the EU in 2001. The new directives are to reduce current noise levels.

All this reaction about road surfaces varying is crazy. I don't see people making the same statements about important tyre factors. Speed ratings,load ratings,wear ratings, are all variable accordind to conditions but are arrived at using results achieved on surfaces that conform to pre-determined standards.

If you take the trouble to check the above you will find that it wasn't just noise being looked at.

e road surface.

Compliance schedule

2009: all except C1d and C1e (not sure what they are?)

2010: all tyres over 185mm and up to 215mm width

2011: all tyres over 215mm width

C1d all tyres over 185mm up to 215 mm nominal width.

C1e all tyres over 215 mm nominal width.

'fraid I don't understand why we are all getting so excited about it.

Lots of comparative information is based upon tests carried out under standardised conditions. It provides a useful basis for comparison, but it does not guarantee that the product will always behave in the way that it does in the laboratory.

Petrol consumption figures - engine power output figures - cabin noise levels - crash impact resistance etc. all vary with the environment and the mode of use. It doesn't mean that the figures are useless. It just means that you have to understand the conditions under which the data were produced and relate them sensibly to your conditions and your mode of use.

I doubt if the production of standardised noise level (and traction?) figures for all tyres will stop arguments about "which is the quietest" any more than the existing standardised fuel consumption data stops the arguments about fuel consumption levels. But they should at least have the effect of causing manufacturers to pay attention to reducing noise levels overall.

Of course the road builders also need to be doing the same thing, while balancing issues of traction and noise and I think the Department for Transport and the Transport Research Laboratory (or whatever they call it these days) will say that they are.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links