Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Where's The Best Place To Buy Numberplates Nowadays?

aido

OK daft question #2 but can you put an old style plate onto a new car with the two digit numbering system?

Basically she's got a car in her name which is an 07 plate, so I've been looking at xx07xxx plates as that's easiest, but I can't find a clearcut answer on whether I can chuck on say a five letter plate without a year on there at all?

They say you can't make your car look newer than it is, so I'm reading between the lines here and assuming I can either go with 07 backwards to 51 or any of the older style plates?

Thanks in advance :)

OK daft question #2 but can you put an old style plate onto a new car with the two digit numbering system?

Basically she's got a car in her name which is an 07 plate, so I've been looking at xx07xxx plates as that's easiest, but I can't find a clearcut answer on whether I can chuck on say a five letter plate without a year on there at all?

They say you can't make your car look newer than it is, so I'm reading between the lines here and assuming I can either go with 07 backwards to 51 or any of the older style plates?

got mine from dvla,yeah as long as the plate is before the age of your car ie if you have a 53 plate you can't get a 07 plate,but can get a 03 or a a old style one,they are pritty quick and once i got the v5 through just went into my local dvla office and they gave me a mot and tax disk with my new reg on it,just remember to phone your insurance company to let them know,should be free to do this but bet sum will charge a admin fee.

You can go 07 all the way back mate, my lexus was 03 but had L3 XGH the old style :D but as you say, can't make look newer :D

Hey up dude!

Mine on the Aristo is teeny to be honest - it's certainly borderline - I went off these specs:

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/...umberplates.pdf

Specifications for smaller sized plates (for certain imported vehicles)

Character Height

64mm

Character Width

44mm

Character Stroke

10mm

Space between characters

10mm

Will get the car cleaned and a pic as I know Anees wanted to see the FMIC too but I just haven't got round to it!

There was some nasty black plastic stuck nastily to the front of mine so I ripped all that off and got it back to the standard Jap size holder and fitted a plate that was just a tiny bit bigger than that - measured it up at Charlesworth but don't think Fancyplates ever sent me an email to confirm size which is gay!

when you get them and find out how small you can legally have them on imports gimme a yell where you got them from ;)

There's no legal minimum for the size of the plate, just a legal size for the font and spacing. So you can make it as small as you like while displaying the correct reg with the correct font (including font size) and spacing.

Edit - posted at the same time as Aido

Mine on the Aristo is teeny to be honest - it's certainly borderline - I went off these specs:

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/...umberplates.pdf

Specifications for smaller sized plates (for certain imported vehicles)

Character Height

64mm

Character Width

44mm

Character Stroke

10mm

Space between characters

10mm

Yeah but you can only have that under as follows :

Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display number plates with smaller characters if:

The vehicle does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval

AND

The vehicle's construction/design cannot accomodate standard size number plates

Not sure Toyotas/Lexus would fit into those categories ?

Yeah but you can only have that under as follows :
Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display number plates with smaller characters if:

The vehicle does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval

AND

The vehicle's construction/design cannot accomodate standard size number plates

Not sure Toyotas/Lexus would fit into those categories ?

But the Aristo V300 is an imported JDM only car that does not have ECWVTA and only had JDM size numberplate holder as standard therefore small plates :)

But the Aristo V300 is an imported JDM only car that does not have ECWVTA and only had JDM size numberplate holder as standard therefore small plates :)

So you're in luck then ! :D

Think it still applies that there's no minimum plate size, so you can probably use that smaller font and make the plate as small as you like with that correct font and spacing.

So you're in luck then ! :D

Think it still applies that there's no minimum plate size, so you can probably use that smaller font and make the plate as small as you like with that correct font and spacing.

That's right fella, I have to admit it does look much nicer with the smaller plate as it also gets more air (but also bad things) to the FMIC :)

You'll be able to see it Saturday :D

Aido,

I bought a set of plates for my Aristo from Fancy plate just last week and actually got the smaller import plate for the front of the car too based on your advice. I tried it on and it does look really nice BUT it is not strictly legal because although the Aristo is an import, you can only have a smaller plate if the original car does not have the space to accomodate a standard full size UK plate. At the moment I have a standard UK full size plate which I got at the same time to avoid being pulled. Police round this end are very pedantic over tints and plates!

The plan is that when I eventually get a FMIC then I will get some slots cut into the bumper where the current number plate holder is so that the FMIC is properly ducted and as a consequence I will have to remove the numberplate holder. ;) I will put the smaller plate at the side of the car then and with the car being an import AND no longer being able to have a standard numberplate I think I will be legal (and the FMIC should perform better)

OR

I'll think forget and not bother with the hassle!! :lol::blush:

Also regarding plates, their is a plate I have wanted for the Aristo for ages. I think its brilliant!

V300 BYE

You can get that direct from the DVLA website, but with my car originally being an R reg I can't put it on my car :( :( Maybe if you fancied it you might consider it for your car since I'm sure yours is a newer car???

I bought a set of plates for my Aristo from Fancy plate just last week and actually got the smaller import plate for the front of the car too based on your advice. I tried it on and it does look really nice BUT it is not strictly legal because although the Aristo is an import, you can only have a smaller plate if the original car does not have the space to accomodate a standard full size UK plate. At the moment I have a standard UK full size plate which I got at the same time to avoid being pulled. Police round this end are very pedantic over tints and plates!

The plan is that when I eventually get a FMIC then I will get some slots cut into the bumper where the current number plate holder is so that the FMIC is properly ducted and as a consequence I will have to remove the numberplate holder. ;) I will put the smaller plate at the side of the car then and with the car being an import AND no longer being able to have a standard numberplate I think I will be legal (and the FMIC should perform better)

OR

I'll think forget and not bother with the hassle!! :lol::blush:

Also regarding plates, their is a plate I have wanted for the Aristo for ages. I think its brilliant!

V300 BYE

You can get that direct from the DVLA website, but with my car originally being an R reg I can't put it on my car :( :( Maybe if you fancied it you might consider it for your car since I'm sure yours is a newer car???

I've heard police are pedantic up that way - it's a right bummer!

I'm going to get a Jap plate for the back as well I think as currently it looks ******* with the UK plate and then holes where the Jap plate holder should be!

I do see many other imports round this way that really do have small plates - we're talking half the size of mine and they seem fine too.

A while back I got stopped and he was all ready for busting me for having wrong details on the system, car insured as different make, illegal plates but then as soon as I showed him the Toyota badge on the wheel and he saw everything in Japanese and it was an import he was quite happy, cancelled the call and was more interested in what was under the bonnet as he had a modified car himself :D

I'll just keep a copy of that document and if they moan I'll show them the bit about imports!

As for the plate, it's not for me mate, it's one for my mam so it's just her initials :)

Age wise I think mine is similar to yours - shows as Sep 99 I think?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links