Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Stupid Plastic Wheel Cover Thingys !

My car is Mint.. Except the rear near side wheel as a patch of corrosion on it.

On closer inspection I could see that the plastic that covers the wheels was coming away and salt and road grime had got to work on the alloy behind it.

Like a fool I peeled it back to have a better look and the plastic being brittle just fell into pieces.

The wheel now looks absolutely awful and is ruining the look of the car, as anyone else done this ? Or does anybody have a solution on getting the wheel looking nice again ?

I have seen there is a company on E Bay doing replacements for £240 ( set of four ) they send you a refurb set, you get them fitted and then send yours back to them.

But looking at them they just look like they have been re sprayed ? Has anybody used them ? I can get mine powder coated locally for £40 a wheel.

Cheers

Mark.

Hi,

It is a common problem with the wheels and a lot were reolaced under warranty if you have somewhere local you know and can trust I would take that option.

They may be able to loan you a set of wheels as well.

Unfortunately I have a spacesaver spare probably more use to NASA than me :whistling:

Cheers Steve, I have actually had a mail back from the E Bay company and they are also powder coated see HERE under how we do it

Not bad seeing the price included shipping both ways and you get your refurbed wheels up front.

It means I wouldn't have to keep my Lexus propped up on breeze blocks for a week :whistling:

Hi

Title reads trims not wheels.....

If this is the center plastic trims you are talking about they will not be included with the wheels, see the guys FAQ.

The center trims are very expensive, new about £180 a set, may be worth getting a spray shop to paint them, thats how they were originally..

Pete

The original title got edited by the mods.

It actually said stupid Idiot ( using cartoon style expletives ) they for some unknown reason changed it to TRIMS :tsktsk:

I'm actually referring to the plastic that was used to cover and protect the wheels not the centre caps.

Ahh peeling laquer, common problem, mine are now powder coated, much more durable, If your very lucky & beg Lexus they might give you a new set if they havn,t allready been changed under the recall, worth a punt.

Thanks Mark,

No this doesn't look like lacquer more like plastic that has been molded to the wheels to protect them, but I may be wrong ?

It had started to come away on the said wheel and like a pillock I peeled it back !

Can you give me some more details on this recall ? I just telephoned Lexus Exeter and they say there has never been a wheel recall by Lexus ?

Hi

What you are peeling back then is in fact the layers of paint that were originally sprayed on, it has a plasticiser in it so it will withstand stone chips better, problem was Lexus only painted the front of the wheels and just clear coated the back, a couple of salty British winters and they start to look naff.

I don't think there was actually a recall it's just that they knew of the problem and were quite good at putting money towards replacement, some people with full history at a particular garage had them changed as a good will gesture...

I got refurbed ones for my 430 from Lexus for the same price as the guy on eBay is asking, had to pay extra for fitting and balancing but go in and have a word with the service manager, if he is having a good day you will get a good deal...

Good Luck

Pete

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links