Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has Arnold Clark Ripped Me Off ?

Garysean

Well my story begins in October this year...near enough the end of the month of October i took the plunge and purchased for cash a IS200 from Arnold Clark in Glasgow (i won't disclose branch just yet incase it gets me into trouble...)

Anyway after negociating a deal where i was verbally promised the car would recieve a service before i got it and two years free service check and MOT's...

now the day i went to take it off the forecourt the Battery was dead, instea dof a rechrge i insisted i wanted a replacement Battery which they done without a problem..(this should have been my warning for problems to cone !!)

Come yesterday after my car went in for it's first MOT and Service since i bought it, it came back a fail (not only that they debated for 10 mins that my car was only a free service not a MOT)...the following failed the MOT:

Nearside front tyre has a bulge

Nearside rear brake disc excessively pitted

Advisorys:

Offside Front tyre low at inner edge

front side lights emitting different white-colour

then the 32 check service came back with the following:

Require rear pads and disc

sweat at sump - advise clean and tighten

pollen/air Filter due

suspect fluid changes due (even though 32 point service contaisn fluid top ups and oil change)

advise alignment

tyre with bulge

possible noise at n/s/f caliper, require investigation

spark plug change due

timing belt and tensioner due

the wheels and tyres were all very low on tread the highest being 4 mm in tread

now my question is have i been ripped off and do i legally have any comeback to any of this as the damged stated is far too much to have occurred from normal usuage (ive covered 1290 miles since ownership) which has been normal motorway miles at average speeds (never booted it or rallied it)...as clearly to me the service they promised hasn't been given. i spoke to the Lexus garage which done the MOT and service which are owned by Arnold Clark who practically admitted that this is how some of there garages rip punters off by selling cars like this without checking them over and then you get hit by high repair bills with no comeback due to a limited 31 day warrenty.

The car goes for a resit next friday, i've arranged for brakes and pads to be done but would lik to ask where i could get a pollen/air conditioning filter and timing belt and tensioner, also any advice on what the noise from caliper could be ?

Thank you

If they accept that they promised free service then items such as plugs, fluid change, pollen filter etc should be FOC as an integral part of the service.

Not quite sure what you mean regarding the 31 day limited warranty.

If you have had the car less than 6 months then the caliper,discs,possibly the lights emitting different colour should be fixed FOC by the dealership and although the pads would not normally be covered, being wear and tear items, there would possibly be a case for them to be covered in this instance since if new discs are fitted then new pads are also required even if the old pads were nearly new.

I suggest that you speak to the sales manager regarding the Sale of Goods Act which would require the dealer to PROVE the faults were not present at time of sale if you purchased within last 6 months.

Does seem strange that they didn't supply the car with a full MOT though.

the wheels and tyres were all very low on tread the highest being 4 mm in tread

that shouldnt have been a suprise surely :question: there couldnt have been much more tread on when you purchased it...that might have started the alarm bells ringing with me

how much did you pay for it...a Lexus dealer would be asking £5-6k plus I would imagine for an up together 02 with 1 year warranty , serviced etc

I paid £6000 for it, will get in touch with them in regards to the Sale of Goods Act, 6 months tax and 6 month MOT were supplied with the car hopefully i can get something from them as i am unhappy with the faults of a 4 month old car

I paid £6000 for it, will get in touch with them in regards to the Sale of Goods Act, 6 months tax and 6 month MOT were supplied with the car hopefully i can get something from them as i am unhappy with the faults of a 4 month old car

Speak to the Sales Manager first. If no luck ask to speak to the General Manager. If any promises or assurances are given, be sure to ask for them in writing. "Reverse burden of proof" is in force for the first 6 months so you don't have to prove the faults existed at time of purchase. Your local trading standards should be able to help. It might be worth contacting the customer service office of Arnold Clark too:

http://www.arnoldclark.com/contact/customerservenquiry.html

I get so annoyed when garages rip customers off and try to get away with 30/31 day warranties, 3 month warranties etc. when you are entitled to a full 6 months warranty by law.

First time buying a car from a dealership, i was under the impression i'd get better service, reliability than buying private especially for £6000 cash purchase sad to say it but i feel safer buying a car in a private sale now seeing as my last 2 cars have had no problems. going to citizens advice on monday morning, then trading standards to see what they say/suggest then ill get in contact with Arnold Clark.

Thank you for the help so far guys, i have noticed that the paperwprk and advertisement of the car was wrong it was initially advertised as a IS200 Sport (paperwork ive signed says that) but as i discovered more about Lexus's after purchasing/reading the forums it's not a Sport but a standard IS200 S, more i look over it it the more i feel like they humped me, but i do love my car but just feel i got the short end of the deal now.

I've got a full service kit sitting here with a K+N filter i purchased a few months ago if push comes to shove and i get nowhere within the 7 days with arnold clark then i'll need to go ahead with getting the brakes done for pads and disc's (£150 fitted from independent garage)(Also a friend who has same IS200) and new tyres to pass MOT then deal with the rest of the service stuffs (plugs, filters, Timing belt and water pump)...can anyone tell me where i can find a Pollen Filter it's something i can't seem to find for Lexus

i have noticed that the paperwprk and advertisement of the car was wrong it was initially advertised as a IS200 Sport (paperwork ive signed says that) but as i discovered more about Lexus's after purchasing/reading the forums it's not a Sport but a standard IS200 S, more i look over it it the more i feel like they humped me, but i do love my car but just feel i got the short end of the deal now.

Whilst I can understand how in theory a dealer could confuse an "S" model with a "Sport" (e.g. just thinking that S stands for Sport), that's a pretty major mistake to make and surely something that Trading Standards would be interested in ?

sales decription act.the goods are not as described i would go in and have a chat see if they will take the car back or put it right.

also if they thought it was a sport you would have been charged for one as the standard s would have been cheaper

i have noticed that the paperwprk and advertisement of the car was wrong it was initially advertised as a IS200 Sport (paperwork ive signed says that) but as i discovered more about Lexus's after purchasing/reading the forums it's not a Sport but a standard IS200 S, more i look over it it the more i feel like they humped me, but i do love my car but just feel i got the short end of the deal now.

Whilst I can understand how in theory a dealer could confuse an "S" model with a "Sport" (e.g. just thinking that S stands for Sport), that's a pretty major mistake to make and surely something that Trading Standards would be interested in ?

Easy enough to sort out. If the sales paperwork and any ads describe it as a "Sport" then the V5 should confirm that. If V5 says IS200 ******* but doesn't say "Sport" then the garage has totally mislead you and you can prove it.

Sounds like they were a little sharp in the way they sold the car to you. Also just as general motoring advice,

I would never take a car dealers word a car has been serviced without some general engine/brakes/tyres checks

(easy enough to check condition of oil and other "serviced parts"etc). I would aslo never accept a verbal

agreement about future servicing or MOT's for free, you have to get what is included in the deal in writing.

Best of luck with either getting money back, or returning the car etc.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links