Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Funny "ping" Noise

When parking and I turn the wheel to full lock quickly I can hear a funny sort of ping noise as if hitting a bar or something. I'n not sure if this has always happened and I've only just noticed it or a new occurance.

Does this happen to anyone else? Do I need to worry about it?

i went out and checked to see wot this was :blink:

but my car doesnt do it :(

are you guys sure there isnt anything wrong :unsure:

or maybe lexus stopped the pinging :D

most hydraulics make squealing noises

I used to drive a forklift truck.. that thing squealed like a pig as the fluid was pumped through the pipes!

I know they are not driving a forklift truck.. but the theory of hydraulic is very much the same.

Alot of pressure going on in that steering rack i guess.

I used to drive a forklift truck.. that thing squealed like a pig as the fluid was pumped through the pipes!

Used to?.... :whistling:

/me looks at Steve's avatar :blink::lol::rolleyes: :outforcount:

the noise you are hearing is a bypass valve operationg and the fluid going through it.- think of a tap when u sometimes get the squeal sound, well its the same thing. there is constant hydraulic pressure from the pump and when the steering rack reaches the end of its travel range the hydraulic pressure builds up so it must be released- bypass valve opens and thus the little ping ish noise - but note that not all of the IS's do it, but i can hear when the valve etc opens when i am on full lock.

Same here - mine is more like a "ppssshhhhhh" type sound.

It's exactly as Fluff says, just the valve opening uo to relieve the pressure. Some are just worse than others. My last IS was quite loud.

I've had that 'ping!' sound too, only once, when I was turning on to my drive.

It was such a comedy sound-effect type noise, it made me laugh.

I decided at the time that it must have been a spring in the seat or somesuch thing.

Nothing to be concerned about I'm sure.

Nige

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links