Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Most Sat Nav's enable you to enter just a post code, this is usually the easiest way to find a location but why does the Lexus Sat Nav not have this option (or am I just being very stupid by not having found out how to do it?).

Can this be added, i.e. a Sat Nav update? My car is a 55 plate 220 SE-L

Tks

• 2 weeks later...
It does have post code input, not full, but first half plus 1 digit from the second half.

I think it's in the "input town" section.

Thats a bit rubbish though isn't it? Typing just one digit from the second half can turn up lots of roads. Are even the latest Lexus Sat Navs so restricted? These days I beleive all Sat Navs can zoom in right to the full post code location.

It does have post code input, not full, but first half plus 1 digit from the second half.

Thats a bit rubbish though isn't it? Typing just one digit from the second half can turn up lots of roads. Are even the latest Lexus Sat Navs so restricted? These days I beleive all Sat Navs can zoom in right to the full post code location.

Agree that the partial post code is a bit silly, I find it much easier to just type the street name in - I'm not sure of any OEM satnav that has full post code search though even now (not exactly sure of the reason but I'm sure someone else might!)

Will be interested to see if the new system in the new RX has full post codes or not...........

Agree that the partial post code is a bit silly, I find it much easier to just type the street name in - I'm not sure of any OEM satnav that has full post code search though even now (not exactly sure of the reason but I'm sure someone else might!)

Will be interested to see if the new system in the new RX has full post codes or not...........

I updated my sat nav to the most upto date version in December last year, and the postcode issue remains the same. The only real benefit is the fact that you can use it on the move, whereas before is was greyed out. And you still have to press the " I agree" icon before going any further.

At the risk of repeating myself, many postal addresses do not include a street name. Try using a Lexus satnav to find the location of a farm on an un-named and un-numbered minor country road.

I carry a TomTom in the glove box to find postal coded addresses that the Lexus cannot find.

I had a Honda Accord in 2006 and the SatNav in that did full postcode entry.

One cool thing about the newer satnavs is that you can use coordinates, just pull them off google maps and then stick them straight into the satnav - you'll be taken to the exact point you want :)

Yes, postcodes and addresses I did a lot of work on that a few weeks back..... Rose Cottage, Village Name and there are 3 Rose Cottages in that village and as it says above the roads don't have a real name. Many more examples even in towns like blocks of flats in a road, or even a road within a road ..... I won't go on ;)

• 1 month later...

The sat nav on my IS220d is the worst I've ever used. I travel the entire country mainly going to various hospitals, not only does the POI include very few hospitals, the lack of full potcode usually gets me to the general area, but since many hospital addresses don't include a street name and certainly not a street number, I'm generally left searching around for some other means of finding the right direction. My colleagues have even suggested a quick reprogramming of the sat nav annoncements to say once in the general vicinity "Stop at the nearest pedestrian and ask for further directions".

Another annoyance is that the road name database isn't fully searchable. Recently I went to a hospital that was located on Hospital Road, but the not so trusty sat nav wouldn't let me set "Hospital Road" as the destination since it didn't appear to be in the database, however, when I finally arrived at my destination the display proudly showed me as driving along "Hospital Road".

The sat nav is so useless it has completely ruined my Lexus experience so much so that unless Lexus sorts out this pitiful excuse for navigation by the time I'm due to change my car I'll make my first Lexus also my last!

It seems ridiculous that a £3k upgrade can spoil a £30k car, but that's exactly how poor I feel the sat nav is. Lexus should be ashamed and licence Tom-Tom or something worth having!

It would appear that whilst Lexus is embroiled in "The pursuit of excellence" it may have found it by now it it was using a half decent sat nav system! :duh:

I think the reason why you dont get full 7 digit post codes

the rights are owned by the Royal mail, and i am sure they (satnav Makers)

would all have to pay royalties to our wonderful government

i know TOMTOM originally had this problem but they must have sorted somthing out

nudge nudge wink wink (most MPS now have a TOMTOM)

regards

Matt

I think the reason why you dont get full 7 digit post codes

the rights are owned by the Royal mail, and i am sure they (satnav Makers)

would all have to pay royalties to our wonderful government

i know TOMTOM originally had this problem but they must have sorted somthing out

nudge nudge wink wink (most MPS now have a TOMTOM)

regards

Matt

I'm sure you're right and the MP's have probably claimed Tom-Tom's on expenses as well!! The most frustrating part though is that a £100-£200 box stuck on the window with a suction cup totally outperforms the far more expensive offering supplied by one of the worlds largest car manufacturers!

Lexus needs to wake up to the fact that their cars are only as good as the worst part and currently in my humble opinion the worst part is the dreadful sat nav. I'm loath to stick a different sat nav onto the windscreen in an otherwise superb car, but it's looking increasingly likely until I change the car next year.

The sat nav on my IS220d is the worst I've ever used.

What systems are you comparing to? None of them are perfect but out of the OEM stuff, the Toyota ones are among the best IMO. Although have to agree the behaviour of yours seems odd, but are you using the right town name? I often find it best to go straight in with the street name and pick the area myself.

The sat nav on my IS220d is the worst I've ever used.

What systems are you comparing to? None of them are perfect but out of the OEM stuff, the Toyota ones are among the best IMO. Although have to agree the behaviour of yours seems odd, but are you using the right town name? I often find it best to go straight in with the street name and pick the area myself.

Well for a number of years I used Tom-Tom on a HP PDA with a separate Bluetooth sat receiver and I've also used the navman and garmin sat-navs.

As for using the right town name, I was trying to set my destination to Cookridge Hospital, Hospital Lane, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS16 6QB. I was in Leeds at the time and using the Lexus sat nav could only set my destination to LS16 6. There was no entry for "Hospital Lane" so I had to select a random street address and hope to see a sign post for the hospital somewhere on my route.

As I've said, if a £100 box can sort it out why can't Lexus with a £3000 unit?

That is very odd indeed, I just tested it out in our '07' Prius (same nav system as the IS) and ours also doesn't have Cookridge Hospital in the database but it found hospital lane straight away - either by using the post code LS16 6 or by just typing in the street name first.

I have my own problems with portable satnavs and much prefer the inbuilt solutions, and compared to our Merc and BMW the Toyota/Lexus system is miles ahead. Is it possible there's something wrong with yours if it does this on regular occasions?

Something weird with that hospital, if you look at this website:

http://www.nhs.uk/ServiceDirectories/pages...l.aspx?id=RR803

it says "This hospital is also known as Cookridge Hospital"

and if you click on link just below that to "Cookridge Hospital Website" it doesn't say amything about cookridge on the find us / contact us.

Might it be a name change or something ot because it's now a Trust?

And to add confusion google maps has postcode as LS16 then LS16 6LB

According to this, it's been closed so perhaps its name has changed? I'm confused.........LINK

Yes the hospital is now closed, but wasn't when I was trying to find it! Whilst I'd prefer a built in sat nav to a portable type, I just don't see why a built in system has to be so second rate, especially given the price tag.

In my opinion the Lexus sat nav is the worst part of the car and I can see no justification for Lexus to perpetuate it when far superior alternarives are readily available.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links