Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Need Advice On Road Tax

Saraj

Just need a bit of help here.

My tax runs out on the 30th JUne, got my reminder, however I cant seem to afford to pay for it at the moment, now i can afford it at the end, when it runs out.

How long am I allowed to leave it after it runs out?

And do I need to take any precautions when it does, like a sign in the car or something?

When you say you can afford it "at the end", when do you mean exactly ? You're not allowed to drive your car with no tax. You can go in and get it at the post office on the day it expires if you like. Or you can buy it online then, and if it takes a couple of days ago it won't matter, because you'll be on the computers as having valid tax.

When you say the end what do you mean?

If you get paid on the 1st then i wouldnt drive the car anywhere after the 30th. until youve been to the post office and got the new disc.

i'd say you have a couple of days to get the new one before they send a fine or anything.

Edit just seen the replies. if you buy it off the net i wouldnt drive anywhere after the 30th till its arrived. as they dont give you any leway because you can buy it a month before. best going to the local postoffice and getting it on the day.

You need to have your car taxed- there is no grace period anymore.

The DVLA computer will know if your car is taxed or not. If its not taxed then a automatic fine is issued. If you cannot afford the road tax yet then you need to delcare your car SORN and park it up on the drive/private land etc.

Yh, what ill do, the day it expires is a tuesday, which is my day off, which is ideal, so ill wait till the 30th and then buy it from post office, i was worried that if i was working then iwould have to order it from the net

yh sorry, i can afford to buy it when it expires, or probally a day before, so if i bought it on the net it should be ok?

if purchased online you are automatically taxed on the system even without a valid paper disc. you cannot get fined/clamped/crushed while you are waiting for your paper disc as its all on computer

or you can get a credit card with 0% intrest for 12 months on new Purchases that is what ive done because my insurance is up on the 25 june so getting my insurance with no intrest when paying monthly

or you can get a credit card with 0% intrest for 12 months on new Purchases that is what ive done because my insurance is up on the 25 june so getting my insurance with no intrest when paying monthly

lol got no chance of getting that, HSBC took away a 1500 overdraft from me which was 0% interest, and TSB wont even give me a 100 pounds overdraft.

I can afford it on the 30th the day it runs out, so will post office to be on the safe side

yh sorry, i can afford to buy it when it expires, or probally a day before, so if i bought it on the net it should be ok?

if purchased online you are automatically taxed on the system even without a valid paper disc. you cannot get fined/clamped/crushed while you are waiting for your paper disc as its all on computer

Is that true?

I was under the impresion that you can still get done for not displaying a valid tax disc?

thats why you can order it in advance so your always showing a valid one.

i read on my reminder that a new thing has been put in place where you can go upto 7 days with out displaying the paper disc after it expires, BUT you do need to inform them about it, sorry the leaflet is at home and cant remeber 100% exactly what it said.

i read on my reminder that a new thing has been put in place where you can go upto 7 days with out displaying the paper disc after it expires, BUT you do need to inform them about it, sorry the leaflet is at home and cant remeber 100% exactly what it said.

thats interesting, i got the letter laying around ill take a look and see what i can find

Is that true?

I was under the impresion that you can still get done for not displaying a valid tax disc?

100% true. before a car is ticketed for no tax its checked against the computers.

you may get questioned if an officer spots its out of date, but a quick check with the computers will show your covered and waiting for it in the post :winky:

Is that true?

100% true. before a car is ticketed for no tax its checked against the computers.

you may get questioned if an officer spots its out of date, but a quick check with the computers will show your covered and waiting for it in the post :winky:

No its not unfortunately, it is an offence not to display tax, whether you have tax or not, online tax is ONLY recommended if you can tax the car during the last month of your current tax period

Saraj if you can afford to tax it the day before it expires, go to the post office and do it that day

Have a look here, specifically :

If you prefer to tax in the last few days of the month, there is now an exemption from the offence of not displaying a tax disc. This exemption covers the first five working days of the month and allows time for the new disc to arrive in the post.

The exemption only applies if applications are made before the current tax disc or SORN expires.

Have a look here, specifically :
If you prefer to tax in the last few days of the month, there is now an exemption from the offence of not displaying a tax disc. This exemption covers the first five working days of the month and allows time for the new disc to arrive in the post.

The exemption only applies if applications are made before the current tax disc or SORN expires.

very fair

No its not unfortunately, it is an offence not to display tax, whether you have tax or not, online tax is ONLY recommended if you can tax the car during the last month of your current tax period

Saraj if you can afford to tax it the day before it expires, go to the post office and do it that day

im not implying you can run around with an old tax disc because you cant be bothered to display the new one. it is totally fine to run around with an out of date tax disc because you are waiting for the new one in the post. if you get pulled for a random reason and they spot the old tax disc they'll check with the dvla.

that was advice from dvla

EDIT: man im slow at typing!

There was never a grace period after the tax runs out...... until a few months ago.

Now you are officially allowed 5 working days grace to allow for the delivery of a tax disc bought online.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ownin...cle/DG_10034732

You can renew your tax any day from the fifth day of the month.

EDIT: Oops, read the thread too quickly and missed Steve's post. :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links