Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is It Legal?

Although the rear fogs and tail lights use the same wattage bulb I think you will find the shape of the reflector and the diffuser shape of the red cover is what makes them very blinding.

I think Altezza’s etc use a different reflector in the rear fog. i may be wrong :question:

They may well pass a mot on legal grounds but in the end they are fog lights and if you have them on when it’s not foggy plod will stop you and squeeze your plums, well they certainly would round my way :winky:

Although the rear fogs and tail lights use the same wattage bulb I think you will find the shape of the reflector and the diffuser shape of the red cover is what makes them very blinding.

I think Altezza’s etc use a different reflector in the rear fog. i may be wrong :question:

They may well pass a mot on legal grounds but in the end they are fog lights and if you have them on when it’s not foggy plod will stop you and squeeze your plums, well they certainly would round my way :winky:

same part number for the lights matey i checked when i was doing the rear light conversion. if your ever behind me i have 4 rear tail lights now(all the same brightness)

5 brake lights(all the same brightness but brighter than the tail lights)and two fogs. B)

i'd hate to own a import around your area!!most of them have brake lights were uk fogs are.

iirc out of all the people who have done the rear light conversion down your way and up my way no one has been done yet.

same wattage of bulb mate it looks

As you state, the lights will pass on an MOT test as all that is checked is whether the lights operate. As you are probably aware there are other regs in place, construction & use regs for example, which govern things which the MOT test doesn't cover. Technically you don't require any working lights for your car to pass the MOT test.

think you better check yes you do you need brake lights at least!!

The following comes directly from motester.co.uk website which provides info for test station owners, authorised examiners, nominated tester, etc. It is a website which I would think you would be familiar with.

However, believe it or not, due to a quirk in the regulations if you blank off or disconnect all of your lights then the MOT garage does not have to Test the lights and cannot fail your vehicle on the MOT. However if you use the vehicle after dark without a number plate light you would face prosecution if caught. - MOTT

Whether your wife or her sarge would "trawl through all the regs" is irrelevant really. The regs exist so there will always be the chance of being reported so is it not better that folks know about it in order that they may then make an informed decision on whether or not to carry out the mod?

Oooops Ormi, sorry for bashing on about plod!!! Didn't know that your better half (creep, creep, crawl, crawl) was a Traffic Police Woman Sergeant person. They are a wonderful bunch of people, and Ithink they are great, no matter what everyone else says... :winky: :winky: :winky: :winky: Hope She forgives me now???

LOL

Col... :D

As you state, the lights will pass on an MOT test as all that is checked is whether the lights operate. As you are probably aware there are other regs in place, construction & use regs for example, which govern things which the MOT test doesn't cover. Technically you don't require any working lights for your car to pass the MOT test.

The following comes directly from motester.co.uk website which provides info for test station owners, authorised examiners, nominated tester, etc. It is a website which I would think you would be familiar with.

However, believe it or not, due to a quirk in the regulations if you blank off or disconnect all of your lights then the MOT garage does not have to Test the lights and cannot fail your vehicle on the MOT. However if you use the vehicle after dark without a number plate light you would face prosecution if caught. - MOTT

Whether your wife or her sarge would "trawl through all the regs" is irrelevant really. The regs exist so there will always be the chance of being reported so is it not better that folks know about it in order that they may then make an informed decision on whether or not to carry out the mod?

never heard of that web site i use and go buy vosa's manual also mot law and road traffic law are not the same.

but i take my hat off to you about the lights ie not needing any!!!!thats mental!!!i agree about letting people make up their own minds if they want to do light conversions thats why their is disclaimers on the fitting instructions, but if done correctly the conversion looks standard and when braking all the lights are the same brightness their for not attracting attension you dont want if you know what i mean.

Oooops Ormi, sorry for bashing on about plod!!! Didn't know that your better half (creep, creep, crawl, crawl) was a Traffic Police Woman Sergeant person. They are a wonderful bunch of people, and Ithink they are great, no matter what everyone else says... :winky: :winky: :winky: :winky: Hope She forgives me now???

LOL

Col... :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: lol matey!!!!!shes not a sarg yet(i was speaking to her sarg) she finds out if she passed her sarg exam's in aug. not bad she's 26 in traffic her daily cars............................ evo x ,volvo t6,audi s3,s4,s6 scoobie(new one) and a bmw m3 wish it was me!

but their is some perks being married to a traffic cop lol :winky: :winky: :winky:

My mates dad used to have a Ford Probe, and he got stopped for having his 'fogs' on. He said "come here some, let me give you a lesson in Ford technology, mains on, no fogs, full beam, fogs come on, thats cos they're DRVING LIGHTS". He got off with the lights part, but had to go down the station for a chat about being mouthy, he ended up waiting all morning for the Super Indendant to see him, but then demanded an apology for making him wait, which he got in the post a day later in writing, signed by the Super Intendant.lol. And all because a plod who didn't know what he was talking about tried to up his numbers. lol.

So if you get pulled, stay calm and explain they're set up as driving lamps.

Gareth

so what happens with the new mercs then??also the new bmw's when you indicate and start to turn the front fogs come on and light up were your turning.also reno have a fail safe mode when one of your headlights goes out the fog light below comes on.

never heard of that web site i use and go buy vosa's manual also mot law and road traffic law are not the same.

but i take my hat off to you about the lights ie not needing any!!!!thats mental!!!i agree about letting people make up their own minds if they want to do light conversions thats why their is disclaimers on the fitting instructions, but if done correctly the conversion looks standard and when braking all the lights are the same brightness their for not attracting attension you dont want if you know what i mean.

I agree ...really stupid not needing lights for an MOT certificate! Also you say MOT laws and road traffic/construction & use regs are different which was 1 of the points I was making as I find it crazy that an MOT certificate can be issued for a vehicle which doesn't conform to construction/use regs or is technically illegal - as in the rear fog mod!

UK MOT testers database quotes MOT testers manual Section 1 subsection 1.1 :

<H4 align=left>1.1 Front and Rear Position Lamps, Registration Plate Lamps Rear fog lamps</H4>

Information

Method of Inspection

Reason for rejection

This inspection applies to: all vehicles, except those which either have no front or rear position lamps or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are

. only used during daylight hours, and

. not used at times of seriously reduced visibility.

If this situation occurs, the vehicle presenter should be issued with a VT32 (advisory notice) recording the above.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links