Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is It Legal?

just wondering if it is legal to set up my front fog lights to come on with my main beam, its not a hard job, just a wire and a diode, bit of soldering and a touch of insulating tape or shrink tubing. will still be able to turn them on seperatly.

Can't see any reason why it would be illegal. Although I can't see any reason why you would want to either :unsure: If you need your main beams on to see where you are going, the wide and low beam from the fogs is gonna do naff all to help. From a looks perspective, if they are on with the main beams then you wouldn't have them on when someone is coming towards you anyway, so no one will see them.

Can't see any reason why it would be illegal. Although I can't see any reason why you would want to either :unsure: If you need your main beams on to see where you are going, the wide and low beam from the fogs is gonna do naff all to help. From a looks perspective, if they are on with the main beams then you wouldn't have them on when someone is coming towards you anyway, so no one will see them.

Maybe it looks cool when you flash your lights and they all flash? :unsure:

Maybe it looks cool when you flash your lights and they all flash? :unsure:

Yeah, I suppose that is a posibility.

just wondering if it is legal to set up my front fog lights to come on with my main beam, its not a hard job, just a wire and a diode, bit of soldering and a touch of insulating tape or shrink tubing. will still be able to turn them on seperatly.

Sorry mate, but, I am almost certain is not legal. Quite clear in the highway code that Front/Rear fogs must only be used in very poor visibilty. (Heavy rain, mist, fog, snow..blah dee blah). If you do it, you run the risk of plod pulling you over. You might just get a warning, or.............

Col... :tomato:

nope not illegal mate not in any way example pug 106's front fogs come on when you flash full beam as do a few other cars and if you do this mod in the eyes of the law you have just changed your fogs to act as driving lights. as well so do a walk through mate a few others might try it too.(fog lights are switched driving lights come on with full beam.)

:winky: B)

nope not illegal mate not in any way example pug 106's front fogs come on when you flash full beam as do a few other cars and if you do this mod in the eyes of the law you have just changed your fogs to act as driving lights. as well so do a walk through mate a few others might try it too.(fog lights are switched driving lights come on with full beam.)

Well, ya learn summit new every day.... Hope plod knows this too, cause some of em can be jobsworths... ooops, sorry plod... lol

Col

:winky: :D

If its legal or not, they would only be on when you have full beam on, so if the plod were coming towards you , you'd switch your full beam off back to driving lights anyways so they would'nt get chance to see the fogs on?

Not sure, is it any different to those that have wired up the rear fogs to be brake lights and side lights?

Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 state very clearly in schedule 2, regs 18 & 20, part 1 :

• 10. Electrical connections:

No rear fog lamp shall be fitted to any vehicle so that it can be illuminated by the application of any braking system on the vehicle

Sorry mate, but, I am almost certain is not legal. Quite clear in the highway code that Front/Rear fogs must only be used in very poor visibilty. (Heavy rain, mist, fog, snow..blah dee blah). If you do it, you run the risk of plod pulling you over. You might just get a warning, or.............

Col... :tomato:

Rear fog lights in rain are a nightmare......they don't help at all just cause a dazzle effect. I honestly don't know why people use them in rain.

Not sure, is it any different to those that have wired up the rear fogs to be brake lights and side lights?

Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 state very clearly in schedule 2, regs 18 & 20, part 1 :

No rear fog lamp shall be fitted to any vehicle so that it can be illuminated by the application of any braking system on the vehicle

depends on the fog light and brightness!!!is200 and other cars use the same brightness of bulb for the brakes as for the fogs so it wouldnt matter if you were behind them as it wouldn't dazzle you any more than a standard brake light bulb.so whats the problem?

acording to those regulations their will be a lot of altezzas supras mr2's as well as various other cars breaking the law!!!

depends on the fog light and brightness!!!is200 and other cars use the same brightness of bulb for the brakes as for the fogs so it wouldnt matter if you were behind them as it wouldn't dazzle you any more than a standard brake light bulb.so whats the problem?

acording to those regulations their will be a lot of altezzas supras mr2's as well as various other cars breaking the law!!!

Didn't actually realise that was illegal........are they really the same bulb though, as it looks a lot brighter when the rear fogs are on?

Also have seen cars in the US with all four lights at the back as brake lights and they don't seem as bright as the ones on my car..........

same wattage of bulb mate it looks brighter due to the size of the lamp also that law was in place before we started to see imports(i have done the import spec conversion ie 4 tail 5 brake 2fog)also who's going to argue about tail lights anyway mot view....... tail lights work,pass. brake lights work pass, fog light/lights work pass regardless of how many you have no one it going to question the conversion out on the road or in a mot station aslong as they all work your sorted

I would advise reading the Highway Code.

Rule 94 says - "You MUST NOT - use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users".

Rule 201 says - "You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 211)".

Rule 211 says - "You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 201) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves".

There are separate rules covering the use of headlights at night and the proper adjustment of lights.

I was looking at the regs to try to see what the regs were regarding the OP's question but it appears slightly ambiguous. The regs relating to rear fogs and the fact that they should not be connected to work as brake lights however seems clear.....and I can't see anywhere in the regs that it "depends on the fog light and brightness!!!"

As to which cars are breaking the law, all I did was check the regulations and quote them in this thread so that people are at least aware of the fact that they may be breaking the law by doing the rear brake/fog conversion and can decide for themselves whether to do it or not.

The bulbs may be the same wattage and, as you say, may not dazzle following traffic.....but hey, I didn't make the regulations. The old addage...."don't shoot the messenger" :whistling:

same wattage of bulb mate it looks brighter due to the size of the lamp also that law was in place before we started to see imports(i have done the import spec conversion ie 4 tail 5 brake 2fog)also who's going to argue about tail lights anyway mot view....... tail lights work,pass. brake lights work pass, fog light/lights work pass regardless of how many you have no one it going to question the conversion out on the road or in a mot station aslong as they all work your sorted

As you state, the lights will pass on an MOT test as all that is checked is whether the lights operate. As you are probably aware there are other regs in place, construction & use regs for example, which govern things which the MOT test doesn't cover. Technically you don't require any working lights for your car to pass the MOT test.

My Son in law had an on the spot fine for using his fog lights.

I would advise reading the Highway Code. as Sagitar says.

Rule 94 says - "You MUST NOT - use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users"..

People seem to think it is cool to drive with there front foglights on but they are a menace and you WILL get pulled over by the BILL.

Rule 94 says - "You MUST NOT - use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users"..

People seem to think it is cool to drive with there front foglights on but they are a menace and you WILL get pulled over by the BILL.

Y'know wot I'm thinkin????... What for? and, Why bother??? Just keep yer Lexy normal. They look great as they are. or, go for some more classy mod's???

Col.. :winky: :D :) ;)

Y'know wot I'm thinkin????... What for? and, Why bother??? Just keep yer Lexy normal. They look great as they are. or, go for some more classy mod's???

getting pulled is nothing new, been pulled before for doing some really dumb stuff (such as 90 in a 30, doing 120 on the m25, etc...) and i still have a clean licence. dont ask me why they always let me off but they do. confuses the hell out of me. could have lost my licence around 6 times over.

as for just keeping my lexy normal, cars are my hobby. i like to play with them in my spare time. i brought the lexus cos it has so much potential for what i can do to it. my main plan is to drop a 2jz-gte in, saving up for that at the moment. it keeps me busy and stops me "vandilising phone boxes and mugging grannys" cos thers bugger all else to do around here.

as for converting them to driving lights, as far as im aware, it is not a legal requirement fo have front fogs, just rear. and there are alot of vechiles on the road with driving lights hooked up to their full beams. it wouldnt take alot to fully convert the fogs to driving lights, but would like to be able to use them when its foggy too.

you know what, most of the time i just do something and find out later if its legal or not, just going to do it andsee what happens, cant really see it as a problem. they will switch off when the main beams do, unless i switch them on seperatly, when it would be foggy anyway.

getting pulled is nothing new, been pulled before for doing some really dumb stuff (such as 90 in a 30, doing 120 on the m25, etc...) and i still have a clean licence. dont ask me why they always let me off but they do. confuses the hell out of me. could have lost my licence around 6 times over.

as for just keeping my lexy normal, cars are my hobby. i like to play with them in my spare time. i brought the lexus cos it has so much potential for what i can do to it. my main plan is to drop a 2jz-gte in, saving up for that at the moment. it keeps me busy and stops me "vandilising phone boxes and mugging grannys" cos thers bugger all else to do around here.

as for converting them to driving lights, as far as im aware, it is not a legal requirement fo have front fogs, just rear. and there are alot of vechiles on the road with driving lights hooked up to their full beams. it wouldnt take alot to fully convert the fogs to driving lights, but would like to be able to use them when its foggy too.

Fair play mate. Each to his own as they say. Your lucky gettin pulled and not prosecuted. I passed a plod piggy bank (speed camera) a few weeks ago and got clocked for doin 80 in a 70 zone. £60 quid and three points. Firsy in 30 odd years of driving, and I'm a memer of the IAM. "BARSTEWARDS ISAY!!). Anyway, glad you ain't muggin oldies.... I'm 53 and have 6 grandchildren.... lol...

Col

:winky: :D :D :)

Just carry on buddy and do what you want with your car I can't understand why you are asking guys on the forum for there opinions because it is obvious you have decided to do it anyway

As you state, the lights will pass on an MOT test as all that is checked is whether the lights operate. As you are probably aware there are other regs in place, construction & use regs for example, which govern things which the MOT test doesn't cover. Technically you don't require any working lights for your car to pass the MOT test.

think you better check yes you do you need brake lights at least!!

as for some ones sonin law getting done chokit wont be a spaz running about with side lights and fogs on!!!thats the only way you get done(wife is a traffic cop)

also i done the full light conversion at the rear(i have changed all the bulb holders to stop tail bulb holders) which is against some reg???????? well what if i go but a stick on fog light which then makes it legal!!also spoke to the wifes sarg as long as all your lights work with no defects you wont get done as they are not going to trawl through all the regs and check which car is ment to have a fog where.

oh and the mod your talkin about is legal as long as when you put full beam off they go off!!! thats straight from the sarg oh and some land cruisers have the lights your on about

ie switch them on and off for fog and when you put full beam on they come on too

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links