Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

300,000 Miler Ls400 Mk4 1998(r), £1750

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/adv...8&logcode=p

Link above is for a 300,000 miler LS400 on an R-1998 plate on Autotrader. It is advertised by a dealer for what appears to be a very reasonable £1750. There is no mention of the service history status.

Assuming it is fully stamped up, is this a tempting proposition, or will it be a miserable ownership proposition?

ps 300,000 miles equates to lapping the M25 over 2500 times.

Service history on this HIGH Mileage Example is Going to be far more important than on an average Mileage car (all things being Equal!) and So I feel you should Clarify this Situation in Detail before going Near it!...

.....Many Major components on the Car May be Due their 'Second' Change by Now..(for example, lets say you could Reasonably expect around 100-150,000 Mls Approx' from Alternators/Air Con'/Brake Calippers/Bushes/Bearings etc etc...........Then Without Knowing the History you can only assume that many items Have NOT Been Done as a matter of course!!! And may be well Past their Sell by Date!!!!

..And thats not Including Major Components such as the Gearbox (when was the Transmission oil last changed?)

However, If after a thorough Examination, You are Satisfied with the Car, Then Yes!, It is a lot of car for not much money, It certainly looks nice in the Advert!

Just remember!, You may well have to Give it away when it comes to Selling it :blush:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/adv...8&logcode=p

Link above is for a 300,000 miler LS400 on an R-1998 plate on Autotrader. It is advertised by a dealer for what appears to be a very reasonable £1750. There is no mention of the service history status.

Assuming it is fully stamped up, is this a tempting proposition, or will it be a miserable ownership proposition?

ps 300,000 miles equates to lapping the M25 over 2500 times.

hi i only paid £2250 for mine with 132,000 & a full lexus history, Knocked it down from £4000 depends on your bargaining skills & how desperate the owner is to sell. Very good / mint examples come up for £3000 regular & should be buyable for £2500. I personally would wait, with 300,000 miles I wouldn't want to pay more than a £1000 as you will most probably have to spend money on it in the near future.

I have just (today) swapped my mk4 for a 430. It had done 134k with full Lexus service history(19 stamps), and MOT til next July. The cam belt was changed at 123k as were the plugs, transmission fluid, coolant etc. Everything worked except for temperature light on drivers side and the cup holder had stuck in.

Wheels needed attention but weren't too bad and had a couple of stone chips on the bonnet.

Looking at what other club members have paid I consider I got a good price having sold it for £2,250. I had asked £2,500. I was offered £2,000 in p/ex but had £750 knocked off the 430 with no p/ex.

On this basis I think £1750 is way too expensive for what you are being offered. ManicMark's value is much more realistic.

Pete

I have a really mint 1997 with only 66,000 miles on the clock and full Lexus Service History, and i paid 1800

So i think that the price is too high about 1000 to 1200? seems right

1. Yours was a 1997 so no sat nav.

2. No vvti engine with 280bhp

3. Some pretty obvious cosmetics were at fault

Yeah, 66K is low mileage, but these cars were designed to eat up the mileage not potter around like a fiesta or corsa! I think the price is fair and IF it has the history then you can't go wrong.

In my opinion a decent 1998+ with service history and the relevant work is worth £3K at 120,000. I would be happy to pay at least £2K for the example in question if it had history.

Do you not get the fact that the reason we love the LS400 is because it will do 300K easily with the proper care? Just make sure you have the relevant service history, and the advice about transmission fluid is spot on.

My advice is to go for it if the above applies. Good luck!