Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Top Gear

mudzs

Anyone see top gear ,they gave the sc 430 a right slating and said the new hyundi coupe was a better car :o .I must admit i hate the sc430 ,s styling :sick: and think lexus could have done a lot better .What do,s everyone else think.

they gave the sc 430 a right slating ....................

and quite rightly so,i drove one a couple of months ago

got an invite from dealer knowing i werent gonna buy one :winky:

as they said poor ride quality,ghastly interior no real styling limited space

and once the roof is down you lose the boot space and why have four seats

when you can only use two,unless you've got a family of GNOMES.......

stonking engine though..............sorry SC owners :yack: :yack:

LEXUS could have done better :whistling: better cars out there for less or same

money :shutit: :shutit:

i have much more fun in my IS

I disagree - I drove one last week and thought it was excellent. I loved the interior.

Let's be honest, you don't buy that kind of car and worry about practicallity of boot space!

A Hyundai or a Lexus, mmmmm tough one that - not!

djanderso Posted on May 25 2003, 11:03 PM

Your right,no contest but i was thinking more along the lines

of what it costs........you say hyundai V SC

I say.....SC v (dare i say it) M3 convertible.. no contest

djanderso Posted on May 25 2003, 11:03 PM

Your right,no contest but i was thinking more along the lines

of what it costs........you say hyundai V SC

I say.....SC v (dare i say it) M3 convertible.. no contest

SC430 again for me! - Seriously!

SC v M would be a better comparison on cost, but the M3 would leave the SC standing. Yes the M3 is nice, but it's still so common - I see at least 1 or 2 a week here, I could probably count on one had the number of times I've seen an SC430 in the past few months. Give me exclusivity over performance.

too right mate

if someone asked you what car you have and you mention Hyundai then dont expect eyebrowes to be raised.

mention Lexus and your their best friend :P

I don,t think they were comparing them like for like but trying to say that with the hyundi you get 4 seats and decent styling all for under 18k .But got to be honest i would not buy either ,give me the m3 any day it is common for a reason if the sc430 was a good car it would be a common sight to .

The SC is direct competition for the Jaguar, whereas we don't make anything which is in competition with the Hyundai. The SC is supposed to be like the Aston DB7 which Tiff Needel slated on Fifth Gear. Neither car is intended for the track. Nor are they luxury barges. They're more of a luxury sports car.

I bought the Autocar back issue comparison review of the LS400 and it also got slated with some obvious errors such as statements in the blurb which contradicted the figures in the table and some data from the Mark III thrown in to make the mark IV appear to have only three gears and less power. Then in the back of the mag they compliment its space power, refinement and "excellent ride" in exact contradiction to the comparison article.

You have to read between the lines for example "The Lexus cause is not helped by the test car's optional £2424 dynamic handling pack" which explains their "tyre roar is the dominant sound on motorways", and "deficiencies are highlighted by the steering's suprising accuracy" whereas it criticises the Daimler for inaccurate steering!

It seems Autocar are had a tongue in cheek stab at the competition. I know the LS400 is a problem as when it first came out everyone stopped buying S-class Mercs. I once arrived at a three lane roundabout and two other LS400s arrived at the same time! Two MkIVs and an earlier one!

[WARNING: contains late night rant]

Hi,

I've only passengered in a (latest-revised-suspension) SC430, but I thought it was great.

The rear seat thing is ridiculous, but that's the norm for a 2+2 - an upholstered boot extension.

The outside styling takes some getting used to, but so what? If it was bland it would be criticised for that instead.

The interior luxury & quality is superb.

Top Gear had a pop at the SC430 because of 'on the limit' performance, which is missing the point.

I bought my Lexus (an IS) because it is 'Fast and Luxurious' :) , I could have bought something faster, but what's the point with UK limits and enforcement?

As for the Hyundai, who exactly is it that thinks it looks like a Ferrari? It certainly isn't me.

If you've got an SC, hang in there. The British viewing sheep, sorry, public, that are currently hanging on Top Gear's every word will follow the usual trajectory and soon have him in the 'uncool' column.

You've made the right choice. Top Gear's (read: Jeremy Clarkson's) comments about Lexus are far more to do with Lexus riding high in surveys such as JD Powers (and therefore there to be shot down) than performance, reliabliity, value, and even kudos.

You made the right choice. Clarkson's SLK cost nearly twice as much, and those of you that don't have daily access to a race-track (subsidised by TV licence payers or otherwise) will have more than enough performance for the public roads.

Nige

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the SC430. I don't really care for the styling and I really don't like the alloys. That said, there are plenty out there who don't like the GS430 (what I've got).

At the end of the day, if your happy with it then who cares what JC says?

:huh: Hi Guys

I have just read the test report on the SC when it still had run flat tyres and hard suspension, the test report was in Top Gears own magazine and compared it with the Jaguar XK8 and the 4 litre CLK Merc, the verdict was the SC won. Now if that is with the old setup and wheels the current one should be even better. Maybe Steve Stupid :iraqi-info-minister: on Top Gear should read there own test reports before speaking such rubbish. I have a new SC and I test drove the new SL350 Merc before buying my SC, the lexus is better equiped than the new SL350 quieter/smoother/ FASTER/ has more head room/ better interior/ and has two small rear seats etc, and before you start laughing if you put the passenger seat forward halfway you CAN put a small adult or child in the back.

All you non believers should test drive an SC, there are few cars that could keep up with it and still hear the radio.

Michael

:iraqi-info-minister: , i mean why is it that people that don't even drive SC's has so much stuff to say...??? ;) , why don't you guys stick to your rides, and complain about them, i mean i have an IS300 5-speed, and "TRUST ME", I WHOULD NEVER CHANGE MY SC430 FOR 10 IS300( well..??? maybe, then i will sell 9 of them and get an SC430... :P ), don't get me wrong, i love my IS300 too, but come on!.... and a Hyndai...??? :duh: i mean thanks guys, i am kinda proud that you guys like the car that my country makes, but give me a break, i still think they are like tissue, you use tehm once, then thow them away.... :lol:

yeah, no doubt the SC430 has some good points, but compared to the SL, it doesnt really have a chance except when price is considered

yeah, but we will be driving ours, while the guys that have the SL, have to be on a loaner car, but it's cool, they can atleast show people their keys, and tell them they drive one...... :lol::lol::lol::yahoo:

oh... and maybe they should carry a photo also in their wallet, just in case people don't belive them..... :yahoo:

I went to 'Motorexpo' at Canary Wharf in London's Docklands. Excellent show on until Saturday 7th June, allowing you to sit in all the cars (Porsches, Ferraris, new VW Phaeton W12, Audi A8 and various other exotica. Free too!

Lexus' display included the new RX300 and a superb silver SC430. Despite comments to the contrary, the car had very attractive styling and Swiss Watch build quality. The interior was very luxurious with plenty of headroom and surprisingly good visability. The boot too appeared to have plenty of space.

If I were Lexus, I would advertise the car with the results of Top Gear's test in 2001!

I went to 'Motorexpo' at Canary Wharf in London's Docklands. Excellent show on until Saturday 7th June, allowing you to sit in all the cars (Porsches, Ferraris, new VW Phaeton W12, Audi A8 and various other exotica. Free too!

Lexus' display included the new RX300 and a superb silver SC430. Despite comments to the contrary, the car had very attractive styling and Swiss Watch build quality. The interior was very luxurious with plenty of headroom and surprisingly good visability. The boot too appeared to have plenty of space.

If I were Lexus, I would advertise the car with the results of Top Gear's test in 2001!

wait until you drive one...... :D

I drove an SC430 at last years open road event and I loved it!!!! Should a spare £50k come my way I'll be down the dealers!

The only comments I had at the time was that there appeared to be some body roll going around corners, but I've heard the handling is much better now. Hoping to get my stiky mits on another one on the forthcoming open road event.

Tis each to their own - personally ...... I'm not old enough for an SC!!! :hehe: I prefer sports rather than GT and performance rather than cruiser - BUT I can understand people wanting the cruiser type thing.

The programme was not saying the Hyundai was better than the SC. Different markets etc. I think it was saying the Hyundai is better within ITS market than the SC is within its.

Anyway - it is only someone's opinion...... no need to get upset.

So - who would like to be part of the audience?????

I am going tomorrow. I have more tickets for the 2nd and 9th July - but they will be for GOLD members only.

I will speak with Claire and she will be the contact for you peeps to go see the show being recorded - if of course you'd still like to given the comments....... :D

Tis each to their own - personally ...... I'm not old enough for an SC!!! :hehe: I prefer sports rather than GT and performance rather than cruiser - BUT I can understand people wanting the cruiser type thing.

The programme was not saying the Hyundai was better than the SC. Different markets etc. I think it was saying the Hyundai is better within ITS market than the SC is within its.

Anyway - it is only someone's opinion...... no need to get upset.

So - who would like to be part of the audience?????

I am going tomorrow. I have more tickets for the 2nd and 9th July - but they will be for GOLD members only.

I will speak with Claire and she will be the contact for you peeps to go see the show being recorded - if of course you'd still like to given the comments....... :D

what about toc gold :) 9th July is the day before my b'day and would love to go :) :) :) How much ?

I have just read the test report on the SC when it still had run flat tyres and hard suspension, the test report was in Top Gears own magazine and compared it with the Jaguar XK8 and the 4 litre CLK Merc, the verdict was the SC won. Now if that is with the old setup and wheels the current one should be even better. Maybe Steve Stupid  on Top Gear should read there own test reports before speaking such rubbish.

Agree with MichaelB on this one. Saw JC reviewing a Z3 2.8 BMW about 12-18mths ago on the program (I'm not too well up on Beemers, but I think that's what it was- the James Bond type thing)

After figure-of-eight wheel spinning/doughnutting etc., and generally ragging the backside off the car, he absolutely raved about it.

About a fortnight ago, he was 'reviewing' the newer version (Z4??) and slated it, saying it was as bad as the Z3. Hmmm, does he actually remember driving and 'reviewing' it?

Think he just comes out with any old sh!te to sound good/impress his boss, without actually listening to what he's saying himself.

what about toc gold :) 9th July is the day before my b'day and would love to go :) :) :) How much ?

They are free!

I have asked people to email me if they want tickets - you would have to have a girly with you (producers want equal amounts of men and women in the audience)..... so if you want tickets - email your full name and the name of the girl coming with you....... once I have the tickets - they will go on first come first served.

I will know numbers soon.

Just got 16 tickets for 18th June (already all allocated) ..... and 15 of us were there yesterday.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links