Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I'm possibly remembering the old Quinton Hazel days in this regard (rover V8's) when their water pumps failed with regularity at low mileage.

I remember - yonks ago - buying a QH clutch release bearing for a Jaguar. It would not fit. Part number was checked and double checked. So they gave me another one, supposedly exactly the same. And it fitted.

Original equipment is nearly always the best bet, methinks.

always get my replacement lexus parts from the local toyota dealership.

Their computers don't hold "lexus" part numbers.. however they do stock all international parts.

Of course the LS400 was sold as a toyota in japan... so just ask the dealer for parts for a toyota Celsior.. same thing

Mine actually IS a celsior... but should work for any ls400

I received my parts today, but they don't look correct - cam belt looks too short (119 teeth - should be 209), and fan belt looks too small. I'll have to contact supplier tomorrow, but this won't get my car done before Christmas now - not really impressed.

Pete

Please disregard the parts list I was issued with. It appears that it is totally incorrect. I am trying to contact Lexuspartsdirect to discuss.

Pete

Well remove from my 'To keep' file immediately!

Enjoy Yuletide anyway! (Presume the car's still running!)

Car still running fine, but my mate had a 'window' to fit it in on Monday. I was a bit suspicious when I saw the length of the timing belt, and when I opened the water pump box, it seemed too small for a V8 - it was. I'm not sure about tensioner and idler, thermostat, nor the fan belt - but I'd guess they are wrong too. The parts dept is closed today, so I'll find out on Monday. No wonder their price was good - but I won't be suckered in to paying more if they ask - I'd rather go elsewhere. This is despite them having Vin number, reg number, model and year.

Pete

I wondered why the fanbelt I got yesterday cost £43 and yours cost 20!

Hope mine is the right one, I dont fancy changing it yet with all this white stuff about.

Car still running fine, but my mate had a 'window' to fit it in on Monday. I was a bit suspicious when I saw the length of the timing belt, and when I opened the water pump box, it seemed too small for a V8 - it was. I'm not sure about tensioner and idler, thermostat, nor the fan belt - but I'd guess they are wrong too. The parts dept is closed today, so I'll find out on Monday. No wonder their price was good - but I won't be suckered in to paying more if they ask - I'd rather go elsewhere. This is despite them having Vin number, reg number, model and year.

Pete

I've been in communication with supplier - here's an update:

"Dear Mr Sinclair

Please accept my sincere apologies, I don't know how we can make such a

stupid error, but we have, and I can only apologise for that. We will of

course arrange to have the incorrect parts collected and refund your

payment, if that is your wish.

We are at present having our parts catalogue electronically updated,( which

will probably take an hour or so) as soon as it is available again we will

prepare an estimate for the correct parts, and I will contact you to discuss

your wishes.

yours sincerely

John Davidson

Lexus Parts Direct"

I'll let you know the outcome.

Pete

Update on Timing kit, I spoke again with John from the parts department, and he is sending out all the correct components now. I decided to replace the hydraulic tensioner as well, so bill is another £50 over what I have already paid - they price matched with another quote I had.

Hopefully all good now, and they did seem genuinely sorry for the hassle, so I'd use them again.

I'll post up all the correct part numbers when I get the invoice (and check all correct).

Pete

I got the Timing belt fitted today - work included Belt, water pump, hydraulic tensioner, 2 idlers, ancillary belt, thermostat and all gaskets. I also got new plugs and the grotty airfilter replaced (full Lexus history, so wasn't expecting it to be so bad) at the same time.

My mate says it took him the full day (first one he's done, but he's got plenty experience of performance motors), and said that where other manufacturers use a couple of bolts to hold a component, Lexus use twice this. He said it was very straightforward, just time consuming stripping it out.

He did find a leak starting in the water pump, so it was a well timed replacement. Incidentally, the old belt looked unworn anywhere.

I'll post up part numbers used in a separate thread.

Pete

As a recent owner of a 1999 LS 400 I am aware that it is due a cambelt replacement as it has just turned 123,000 miles, with the belt having been replaced 7 years ago at 63k.

The local Toyota garage can't supply, Edinburgh Lexus won't deliver to Dundee, so I'm trying to get a price from Arnold Clark in Aberdeen.

Where do folk get parts? - I'm looking to replace all the usual components required in the timing gear area.

cheers

Pete

blimey, last car I replaced a timing belt on was a Vauxhall Victor and it cost me £6 for the belt. I think the Cortina was like £8. I'm looking at a LS400 Mk3 with incomplete SH tomorrow so had assumed a belt would be £30-£40 and that's the lot bar a couple of hours faffing to fit it. £340 worth of parts would be more than half what I'm looking at paying for the car!

Alistair, it cost me £580 for the whole job, but it will be fine for another 7 years. I knew it wouldn't be cheap when I bought the car, but it's piece of mind for me. As you know, I like things to be right. However, the belt looked in very good nick, and would no doubt have lasted a lot longer - but water pump leak wouldn't.

It is always a gamble with cars of an unknown quantity, so just be prepared for the worst to happen, and write it off at that point (you should have kept the Saab).

A belt is around £50, but you have plenty spannering to get to it - plus antifreeze, auto trans fluid etc etc.

Pete

Yeah, I'm trying to find one cheap with a recent belt! I don't ask for much. Mind you some of the examples I have seen for sale since looking, blimey... Not pretty.

I tried liking the Saab because its such a mechanically sorted and very sensible car but you know its not about telling yourself what's sensible, and these things are nothing to do with common sense.

I tried liking the Saab because its such a mechanically sorted and very sensible car but you know its not about telling yourself what's sensible, and these things are nothing to do with common sense.

Well... I know what you mean... but if you are not Croesus and are going to buy a full-on luxury car, best to buy the most reliable one (not to mention the quietist and with the best ride). So this IS common sense!

At the risk of boring those who have read this from me before: I decided I wanted to sample the delights of one of the best two or three cars in the world. So I persuaded She Who Must Be Obeyed that I would buy an LS400 and own it for one year - hang the depreciation! - and sell it, thus getting my delusions of grandeur out of the way.

That was coming up to six years ago and I still love it! And so does Mrs Jelly Bean. Most expensive item (save tyres) has been a set of mats.

Indeed, if my Life Assurance policy which matures next year pays out more than two chocolate coins and a plastic token, I shall have me an LS460.

Not many who have bought an LS have regretted it. Let us know how you get on.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links