Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Changing the rear suspension springs this weekend. This is, if i can get the rear seats out.

Ive worked out that the rear suspension units must bolt up through the body shell under the rear parcel shelf. But how do you get the rear seat backs out. ??????

Cant find any bolts or clips and dont want to break anything through brute force. :unsure:

Changing the rear suspension springs this weekend. This is, if i can get the rear seats out.

Ive worked out that the rear suspension units must bolt up through the body shell under the rear parcel shelf. But how do you get the rear seat backs out. ??????

Cant find any bolts or clips and dont want to break anything through brute force. :unsure:

You have to take the rear seat base out first, that reveals a number of bolts to undo in the seat back. There's at least one bolt (maybe 2?) hiding behind the base of the armrest too.

I can't remember if the seat base just pulls out, or whether it, too, is bolted in.

At the front of the seat base about 8 inches in from each side there are U shaped thick steel rod

pieces that press down into plastic clips.

Mine were tight ,you just have to pry them up.

The bolts will be then be visible for the back, side ones may have flap over them.

you will have to remove lap belt straps in the middle for access.

When the bolts are out get help and push both sides of the seat back in together

and it will come out without removing the side trim.

You can just put something under the parcel shelf to lift it high enough to undo the

shocker bolts, no need to remove it.

On mine the spring had broken right near the top and we had to do a

bit of juggling with the spring compressors to get it all out.

At the front of the seat base about 8 inches in from each side there are U shaped thick steel rod

The bolts will be then be visible for the back, side ones may have flap over them.

When the bolts are out get help and push both sides of the seat back in together

You can just put something under the parcel shelf to lift it high enough to undo the

LexusLS400012.jpg

LexusLS400012.jpg

This is a MK3, hope it is of some help. 3 bolts in top seat back, fold down armrest and look under flap and 2 under flap when the headrest is removed.

LexusLS400012.jpg

This is a MK3, hope it is of some help. 3 bolts in top seat back, fold down armrest and look under flap and 2 under flap when the headrest is removed.

LexusLS400015.jpg

LexusLS400012.jpg

LexusLS400015.jpg

4 bolts hold bottom of seat back, which go through rear bulkhead, so there may be a rust issue if they feel tight. The bottom right corner of pix shows retaining clip so lift seat from front and pivot it back to release, being careful not to damage heating wiring.

LexusLS400012.jpg

LexusLS400015.jpg

4 bolts hold bottom of seat back, which go through rear bulkhead, so there may be a rust issue if they feel tight. The bottom right corner of pix shows retaining clip so lift seat from front and pivot it back to release, being careful not to damage heating wiring.

LexusLS400014.jpg

LexusLS400012.jpg

The red plastic bits are where the base clips in and they are very tight. I used a big flat screw driver to prise the seat up. 2 of the 3 top shocker bolts are easy to get at but ease up the parcel shelf slightly and you can get a ratchet in and then its easy with your fingers to undo. There's a cap that comes off first and then the shocker bolts. I cant remember now but if you loosen the hub bottom fixing (tapered joint?)with the jack under and drop it enough to allow the leg to come out without the need for spring compressors. BIG TIP buy a complete leg with spring. I got mine from benfur

LexusLS400015.jpg

LexusLS400014.jpg

LexusLS400012.jpg

The red plastic bits are where the base clips in and they are very tight. I used a big flat screw driver to prise the seat up. 2 of the 3 top shocker bolts are easy to get at but ease up the parcel shelf slightly and you can get a ratchet in and then its easy with your fingers to undo. There's a cap that comes off first and then the shocker bolts. I cant remember now but if you loosen the hub bottom fixing (tapered joint?)with the jack under and drop it enough to allow the leg to come out without the need for spring compressors. BIG TIP buy a complete leg with spring. I got mine from benfur

LexusLS400015.jpg

LexusLS400014.jpg

Sorry to confuse but I haven't got the hang of photobucket yet or quotes and replies. If you scroll through them, there are descriptions to match pix but not in the right order. Too many pix and I'm only clicking once.

Tahnks for all that guys. This is what a forums is all about. Bus39, mines a MKll so no bolts at the top as it turns out. Once you know where to start with these jobs, it gets much easiler.

Seats out, new spring compressors out of box. Oh dear.... these compressors are quite lumpy. too much metal on them to get them up to the top of the springs were they broke so compressed them as much as pos and had to use an angle grinder to cut the top bit of the spring off. Getting the unit, with new spring, back on was an arse as well. Doing the second one today. Lucky me.

Thanks again for your help guys.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links