Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

About to order a new Battery for my LS400 Series 3.

Just occurred to me, is there any problem with losing the Radio Code or anything else I should be aware of when I make the swap.

I'm getting a new one because if the car stands idle for more than a week the Battery sometimes won't start the car. About 20 minutes with a charger gets me going but it's a bit of a nuisance.

Regards to all.

Roy

About to order a new battery for my LS400 Series 3.

Just occurred to me, is there any problem with losing the Radio Code or anything else I should be aware of when I make the swap.

I'm getting a new one because if the car stands idle for more than a week the battery sometimes won't start the car. About 20 minutes with a charger gets me going but it's a bit of a nuisance.

Regards to all.

Roy

Don't know about the Radio Code, etc., but I bought my Battery from Lexus (Woodford) because it was cheaper than Halfords or the RAC so it's well worth asking Lexus for a price (mine was just over £50 for 98 LS400). I had Lexus fit the Battery and that's why I don't know the details. By the by, the fitting was at cost.

best wishes

If you are worried about it, all you need is two longish bits of wire.

Just wind one to the - post of the new Battery on one end, and to a good earth on the car for the other.

The other goes to the + post of the new Battery and to a constant live point, which can be anything that has voltage when the ignition is off.

If you have 4 small crocodile clips then the job is easier, just clip one end on the Battery post and the other on the corresponding Battery connector.

Just make sure that you dont clip or wind the wire so that it will be in the way when you swap the connectors over and make sure that the jumper connections are all good, and dont under any circumstances turn on the ignition.

Once you have connected the new Battery disconnect the old one and remove it, making sure not to catch the jumper wires.

Pop the new Battery in place and put the connectors on, if you have used croc clips then all you need to do is make sure that the post is touching before you remove the croc clip, then slide it down all the way making sure that you dont loose contact.

Its an easy job which takes longer to explain than to carry out, but you get the drift.

However, as I said in my other post, I dont think this will stop the Battery from flattening over time, because the car is still using Battery power even when the ignition is turned off.

By all means change the Battery, but after you do, just run the car up every 3 or 4 days until its warm just to top the Battery up.

I did a bit of searching when my Battery kept on going flat, and it seems that its not just the LS range that has flattening problems. It seems to me that Lexus design the cars with the thinking that they will be driven every day, which is fair comment as most of them are.

I may be wrong, and a new Battery may cure all your problems, obviously there is only one way to find out. But if it doesnt work, then just try firing it up every couple of days, instead of trying to trace a fault that isnt there.

BTW, have you tried getting in touch with Lexus to see if they will supply you with the radio code? when I had my 3rd Rover 800 I went to the Rover dealers in Lincoln with the cars details and they typed them ito their computer and came back with all the security codes, including the radio code.

I'm getting a new one because if the car stands idle for more than a week the battery sometimes won't start the car. About 20 minutes with a charger gets me going but it's a bit of a nuisance.

Regards to all.

Roy

If you are worried about it, all you need is two longish bits of wire.

Just wind one to the - post of the new battery on one end, and to a good earth on the car for the other.

The other goes to the + post of the new battery and to a constant live point, which can be anything that has voltage when the ignition is off.

If you have 4 small crocodile clips then the job is easier, just clip one end on the battery post and the other on the corresponding battery connector.

Just make sure that you dont clip or wind the wire so that it will be in the way when you swap the connectors over and make sure that the jumper connections are all good, and dont under any circumstances turn on the ignition.

Once you have connected the new battery disconnect the old one and remove it, making sure not to catch the jumper wires.

Pop the new battery in place and put the connectors on, if you have used croc clips then all you need to do is make sure that the post is touching before you remove the croc clip, then slide it down all the way making sure that you dont loose contact.

Its an easy job which takes longer to explain than to carry out, but you get the drift.

However, as I said in my other post, I dont think this will stop the battery from flattening over time, because the car is still using battery power even when the ignition is turned off.

By all means change the battery, but after you do, just run the car up every 3 or 4 days until its warm just to top the battery up.

I did a bit of searching when my battery kept on going flat, and it seems that its not just the LS range that has flattening problems. It seems to me that Lexus design the cars with the thinking that they will be driven every day, which is fair comment as most of them are.

I may be wrong, and a new battery may cure all your problems, obviously there is only one way to find out. But if it doesnt work, then just try firing it up every couple of days, instead of trying to trace a fault that isnt there.

BTW, have you tried getting in touch with Lexus to see if they will supply you with the radio code? when I had my 3rd Rover 800 I went to the Rover dealers in Lincoln with the cars details and they typed them ito their computer and came back with all the security codes, including the radio code.

Regards to all.

Roy

You are quite right and in good company - Porsche are also rather famous for the Battery going flat if not regularly driven!

Full details in another post on this page. "Battery Change"

I have a 1994 LS 400 and I love it, but the Battery runs down if i leave it for a week. I think for a car of this quality, this is redicullous, because I can't leave it parked at an airport when I go on holiday. Any suggestions please - a larger Battery or a smaller car!

I have a 1994 LS 400 and I love it, but the Battery runs down if i leave it for a week. I think for a car of this quality, this is redicullous, because I can't leave it parked at an airport when I go on holiday. Any suggestions please - a larger Battery or a smaller car!

correction I have a 1998 LS400 and had the Battery replaced by Lexus because I thought the old one was faulty but it made no difference. I also have a 1993 Citroen which never fails to start.

Happy New Year!

correction I have a 1998 LS400 and had the Battery replaced by Lexus because I thought the old one was faulty but it made no difference. I also have a 1993 Citroen which never fails to start.

Happy New Year!

Thanks Pete that's a good point I'll take it to Lexus in Guildford and see if there is an unusual drain.

Cripes,

Can't believe all the possible aggro about changing a Battery.

Obviously I am scared of losing my radio code but I don't have a remote key so the alarm shouldn't be a problem.

Actually, I don't think I have one. I certainly don't have any means of setting it on or off. All I have is a bog standard key and Lexus supplied me with a copy of that. I really must have a look for the klaxon when the weather improves.

I only use the car for leisure journeys and joyrides so I think I will take the earlier advice and just charge it up if it won't start. It only takes about ten minutes and I'm never in a panic to get away.

Thanks for all the interesting replies.

Roy

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links