Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sport Boot Spoiler

Hi everyone,

Well I fitted my sport boot spoiler at the week end and I thought I'd just share the experience with you, and some pics.

It's taken a while as I needed to get the spoiler sprayed to match the car. I also had my sport grill sprayed at the same time as this was off my previous Lex in granite sky.

First of all I made a template out of wallpaper from the old boot lid that the spoiler came attached to see previous post here

4344405192_829c343b94_b.jpg

Then came the moment I was dreading. Good job I got this for my birthday last week.

4344406134_f0911a0302_b.jpg

Then after a little bit of drilling and filing to tidy up I had this.

4343671815_8760a4d72d_b.jpg

and this.

4343667741_55f2c9393d_b.jpg

I only drilled 3 holes, the two smaller ones for the bolts and one bigger one for the cable.

Rather than use the plastic clips from the original and have to drill another 4 holes I just used double sided trim tape.

and finally it was looking like this.

4343675647_401aeb3783_b.jpg

4344412774_734d22f3f2_b.jpg

Luckily there is already a connector inside the boot lid for the new brake light.

4343679635_50ff22f62b_b.jpg

The only thing now I had four brake lights which I don't think looks too good.

4344417632_5b7d3b0153_b.jpg

So I took the bulb and holder out of the one on the parcel shelf and just tucked it under the trim so it doesn't show. You can't just disconnect it or remove the bulb as this brings on the bulb failure light on the dash.

That's better.

4344419316_12c3d03631_b.jpg

And heres a few pics of the car after washing and polishing.

4344395058_1745502d23_b.jpg

4343661701_bedf29dca3_b.jpg

4344398236_c2a88e3a08_b.jpg

4343659647_5c8e42821c_b.jpg

4344397786_f1d541bff9_b.jpg

Sorry about the long post but, like most Lexus owners, I'm just so pleased with my pride and joy.

Dave

makes a big difference tho doesn't it, my 200 had no spoiler on for the entire 3 years I had it and the 300 I just got has one and it makes a big difference from such a small change, looks very nice, the hiding of the 3rd brake light in the window is a good idea too

one thing i have to say about your car is the colour is very nice and hard to come acrros. looks better with the rear spoiler now. would look even better with the trd body kit :)

i have the same grille as you and when i installed mine i re-positioned the horns as i think it looks better hidden.

Sweet!!

good work... i think the spoiler makes the is200 look much better.

maybe worth looking at getting the horns (i think thats what they are) behind the sport grill removed... to make it look even better.

All the best!

Izzy

Thanks for your comments guys.

I probably will move the horns eventually, but not a priority at the moment, especially with this freezing weather. Save that for the summer maybe.

I probably will carry out a few more subtle mods but I don't think I would go for the full body kit.

I have done the auto closing mirrors and I have recently fitted a Grom Audio Ipod adapter.

Dave.

I probably will move the horns eventually, but not a priority at the moment, especially with this freezing weather. Save that for the summer maybe.

I probably will carry out a few more subtle mods but I don't think I would go for the full body kit.

I have done the auto closing mirrors and I have recently fitted a Grom Audio Ipod adapter.

Dave.

Can anyone point me towards the switch for sale which is needed to do the autoclose mirrors mod please

Dave.

Can anyone point me towards the switch for sale which is needed to do the autoclose mirrors mod please

What you're looking for is one of these

The guy also does a box to put it in here

If you order both you'll get a discount on the postage and it will even come with the board allready mounted in the box.

I asume you have the link to the original instructions.

Hope that helps.

Dave.

No it,s not an LE.

The colour is called antimony blue it was only introduced half way through 2004.

The wheels were introduced on LE but then started fitting them as standard on SE and sport. They were either in silver or dark grey, like mine, depending on the body colour.

I love it, not my favourite colour, I still like granite sky like my old Lexus.

Dave.

looks good anyway mate ! you should think about tinting the back windows, really sets the car off !

You've gone and done it now eddieblock. I wasn't going to do much in the way of mods but now you're egging me on, I think you're right I will have to get the rear windows tinted.

Russel, what is the colour of your car? It's a job to tell in your picture; a bit too dark.

Dave.

ha ha ! it,ll be worth it ! have you changed the stereo ? along with the windows and mirrors, it,s one of the best mods i,ve done !

Hi, no I haven't changed the stereo. I want to keep the original which I thinks sounds fine. I have fitted the Grom Audio Ipod adaptor though so this gives me the option to play loads of my favourite music without having to carry loads of CDs around with me.

I did fit an after market Alpine head unit in my last IS200 as the head unit had ERR3 and with that I could connect my Ipod so that's why when I got my new one I knew I would have to get the Ipod adaptor.

Dave

Hello, your comment about not replacing the bulb because the light will show up on the dash ?

Basically some guy went into the back of my is200, made the mistake of taking it to a place called Just Car Clinic in Hinckley - as advised by my insurance company. big mistake - they fitted a spoiler that had rear brake light, great i thought, managed to get a rear spoiler instead of just the lip spoiler. unfortunately Lexus Coventry said that they hadn't wired it in correctly and that to correct it would cost £117 :tsktsk:

after several arguments and JCC not having a clue how to fix it and trying to give a fiesta as a courtesy car i give up - i just need it sorting.

Its just the exclamation light - red in a circle (same as when you have you handbrake on ) , but its permanently on - very annoying

is it worth having them do it for that much ? or is there an easier fix ?

Hello, your comment about not replacing the bulb because the light will show up on the dash ?

Basically some guy went into the back of my is200, made the mistake of taking it to a place called Just Car Clinic in Hinckley - as advised by my insurance company. big mistake - they fitted a spoiler that had rear brake light, great i thought, managed to get a rear spoiler instead of just the lip spoiler. unfortunately Lexus Coventry said that they hadn't wired it in correctly and that to correct it would cost £117 :tsktsk:

after several arguments and JCC not having a clue how to fix it and trying to give a fiesta as a courtesy car i give up - i just need it sorting.

Its just the exclamation light - red in a circle (same as when you have you handbrake on ) , but its permanently on - very annoying

is it worth having them do it for that much ? or is there an easier fix ?

First of all, what year is you Lexus?

If I understand you right you had the standard sport rear spoiler without the brake light as fitted to the early sport but after an accident you now have the later rear spoiler with the LED brake light.

Do you still have the rear brake light on the parcel shelf? has this been disconnected or bulb removed?

If this is the case then it will bring up the warning light on the dash to show that you have a bulb failed. Now on mine if I remove the bulb from the high level brake light it brings up the same light on the dash as a rear light bulb (a picture of a car in plan view with beams of light coming from the rear corners). Now I'm not sure but I think on the earlier IS200s if the high level brake light fails it brings on the warning light that you have described, the same as the hand brake.

What you need to do is check whether the old brake light, the one on the parcel shelve, has been disconnected or the bulb removed. If this is the case then all you need to do is either reconnect it or replace the bulb. You will need to remove the whole brake light housing from the parcel shelf to gain access to the bulb and holder.

If this solves your problem then I would suggest you then do what I did with mine and just take out the bulb holder complete with bulb and hide it under the parcel shelf covering.

thanks Dave,

its just a 2001, and yeah it originally had just the lip spoiler with no brake light in, but after several arguments they agreed to replace it with a new spoiler - originally they didn't even replace the boot, even though it didn't shut properly - but they just changed the badges to make it look like it had been changed, moral of the story should have gone to Lexus Coventry. :tsktsk:

yeah the brake light unit is still on the rear parcel shelf, but i'll have a look to see if they disconnected it or removed the bulb, knowing them they've properly just taken a hammer to it until it stops working.

Seen as im off work for the next couple of days think i will take a look at it : )

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links