Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

A Second Chance

I'm going to be due a replacement vehicle early next year and after a previous flirtation with Lexus and the dreaded IS220d, I vowed never to give them my business again. However, I always lusted after an RX400h and am seriously considering one as my next option. The other half fancies a SUV and we settled on a smal choice; the Volvo XC90 & XC60 and the RX. There are better vehicles out there if you want off road capabilities but the only off roading we're likely to do is crossing the kerb reversing out of the driveway. So as part of the research and knowing how forums tend to attract those with justified complaints about their vehicle or dealerships etc, what's the score with the RX400h? Anything going wrong with them or annoying little foibles that build up and get on your nerves?

Any info gratefully received.

Purchased a 2008 RX400h SE-L about two months ago. It replaced a Porsche Boxster S---yes I know it's a bit different but with my eldest daughter expecting twins the Porsche was hardly prctical. I have done around 2800 miles since purchase. My other vehicle is a BMW 335D Coupe.

I would make the following comments:

Navigation system--interface feels a bit "clunky" compared with the BMW, although I suppose I will get used to it. I really like the screen display. Not being able to amend your destination whilst on the move is a pain.

Steering and handling--very good for a car of its size and weight. I push up the tyre pressures to 35psi if I am off on a fully loaded high speed Continental trip.

Brakes--again take a bit of getting used to. They are very light and hitting them too hard will bring you to a very rapid stop, again I will probably get used to them.

Sound system--Good but why Lexus didn't fit an Ipod connector is beyond me.

Telephone system---I doesn't seem to want to download my address book from my Blackberry. Not a great problme as I have loaded names and numbers onto the speed dial--there is space for 30 numbers. Advantage of this is that you can easily use them whilst you are on the move.

Economy--Just returned from a 1500 mile trip to France. Vehicle was crammed full of luggage (I do believe that the amount of stuff that my wife packs is directly related to the available space in the vehicle) Spent a large proportion of the time on the Autoroutes with the cruise control set at 130kph true, showing around 85 mph on the speedo. Averaged 29 .7 mpg which I think is good for a vehicle of this size. When I collected the car the previous owner had not reset the fuel computer and it showed 30.7mpg over the previous 6300 miles. Under normal useage I seem to average around 32/33 mpg but the fuel consumption figures are very susceptible to a heavy right foot.

Quality--everything has a nice fit and finish and needless to say there has absolutely nothing wrong with the car since I purchased it.

What do I really like:

The overall ride---it does feel more like an expensive saloon that a "jiggly" old four wheel drive

The silence when you are driving on batteries alone.

Power tail gate

The way it tends to make me drive slower and more concious of fuel economy.

If you have a good dealer fairly close to you arrange for an extended test drive. Wait until you can find the exact colour combination that you want. I wanted a Black SE-L with light beige leather and had five Lexus dealers looking for the car that met my requirements. Full marks to Lexus Croydon for sourcing the car. Make sure that you check out the rear passenger compartment properly as a high proportion of the cars that I looked at were badly scuffed in the back from kids climbing in and out and kicking the seats.

Best of luck in your search.

Navigation system--interface feels a bit "clunky" compared with the BMW, although I suppose I will get used to it. I really like the screen display. Not being able to amend your destination whilst on the move is a pain.

Sound system--Good but why Lexus didn't fit an Ipod connector is beyond me.

Telephone system---I doesn't seem to want to download my address book from my Blackberry. Not a great problme as I have loaded names and numbers onto the speed dial--there is space for 30 numbers. Advantage of this is that you can easily use them whilst you are on the move.

Economy--Just returned from a 1500 mile trip to France. Vehicle was crammed full of luggage (I do believe that the amount of stuff that my wife packs is directly related to the available space in the vehicle) Spent a large proportion of the time on the Autoroutes with the cruise control set at 130kph true, showing around 85 mph on the speedo. Averaged 29 .7 mpg which I think is good for a vehicle of this size. When I collected the car the previous owner had not reset the fuel computer and it showed 30.7mpg over the previous 6300 miles. Under normal useage I seem to average around 32/33 mpg but the fuel consumption figures are very susceptible to a heavy right foot.

I suppose all in car navigation aids are supposed to stop you fiddling with them whilst in motion, but a pain in the rear if you have a passenger who is more than capable of altering your route for you.

No ipod connector! That has to be a massive oversight. Just about everything comes with an ipod connector so a car originally costing £40k plus almost certainly should.

I've heard many cars have trouble connecting with Blackberries for some reason. The fact it can store your 30 most used numbers is good though. Hopefully it works with HTC Windows phones.

The mpg is better than I expected. I currently drive a Volvo S80 D5 that returns similar and diesel is more expensive. There isn't half the boot space either.

I'm similarly after a black sapphire or whatever the Lexus alternative is and I'm prepared to travel for the right car. My local dealership were found wanting with the IS so I'm in no rush to go back to them.

Many thanks for the response. Any more?

I have had my RX300 SE-L for nearly two years now. The car has done about 100k with me putting on more than half. Apart from tyres (once) I have had to do nothing to it except get it serviced. It has not missed a beat. Ever. What a cracking car! SUPER comfortable. Massively reliable. Top dealer (Lexus Derby). My advice is to make sure you get the Lexus Warranty and a service pack. You won't regret it :)

My only problem now is that I'm being tempted to change it for something newer but whatever I look at it just doesn't compare with the overall ownership experience! I may just end up keeping it B)

Just a reminder that you can change the satnav on the move - they unlocked that function a year or so back, you just need to buy (or borrow) a recent disc. POsts elsewhere.

29.7 over 25000 miles.

And who needs an iPod when you have a tape deck! Actually, they do some decent FM transmitters with iPod connectors, seem to work reasonably well.

Mine's on a 4 year lease, runs out in 18 months and I'm tempted to buy it as there's nothing on the market that would suit me better.

Just a reminder that you can change the satnav on the move - they unlocked that function a year or so back, you just need to buy (or borrow) a recent disc. POsts elsewhere.

29.7 over 25000 miles.

And who needs an iPod when you have a tape deck! Actually, they do some decent FM transmitters with iPod connectors, seem to work reasonably well.

Mine's on a 4 year lease, runs out in 18 months and I'm tempted to buy it as there's nothing on the market that would suit me better.

Again seems like a decent mpg return for the size of the car and engine. Let's face it, it isn't a detuned lump either.

I've tried the fm transmitters and wasn't impressed. From what I gather there is a kit that can be added to the standard system that allows you to operate an ipod from the stereo.

I read of this issue with the Battery going flat if the car is left for any length of time; is this still an issue on the hybrid?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links