Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Voice Activated Sat Nav?

Apologies if I am asking questions that have previously been posted, but I am new to this forum and have been searching for ages for an answer to my problem.

I took receipt of my 07 plate IS 250 SE with Sat Nav and multimedia last Saturday (30th). Unfortunately the Wolverhampton dealership did not provide a manual for the navigation system and so I am left trying to work it out by myself. For the most part this is okay, it is by no means intuitive but I can get by. However, I am really puzzled about whether or not I should be able to set the sat nav using voice control.

I appreciate Lexus have locked the screen whilst driving and so I niavely assumed I would be able to use the voice commands to set a destination whilst in motion. This does not seem to be the case. Whenever I use the command "set destination" it adds the position I am at as the destination - bloody useful, eh? Furthermore, when I use the command "address" it indicates that this command is only available in the "scolled map" screen. Without a manual I have no idea what a scolled map is or how to access it, anyone know?

I have watched You-Tube videos about sat nav programming by voice control but this was on a US model. Is sat nav voice control therefore not available: in the UK, on my IS model or do I just need updated discs?

I inherently like(d) this vehicle but my first few days of Lexus ownership have caused nothing but frustration, mainly due to the impossible sat nav! It may be a minor issue but coupled with the absence of manual, a broken key and missing paper work my first experience of Lexus ownership is leaving a little to be desired. As I have the Lexus "peace of mind" guarantee I have half a mind to return the vehicle, although I would then have to exchange it for another Lexus!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve

The command to set the satnav by voice is "enter address" but as you've discovered this was US only - not sure if it has changed with the most recent cars, but on the earlier ones this command doesn't work in the UK.

SJB27, if it helps all the manuals are online so you can have a look there before the dealer provides a paper copy:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/info/my-lexus/resources/owners-manual-search.do

Thanks and I too have an '07 SE with MM and very very happy.

I appreciate Lexus have locked the screen whilst driving and so I niavely assumed I would be able to use the voice commands to set a destination whilst in motion. This does not seem to be the case. Whenever I use the command "set destination" it adds the position I am at as the destination - bloody useful, eh? Furthermore, when I use the command "address" it indicates that this command is only available in the "scolled map" screen. Without a manual I have no idea what a scolled map is or how to access it, anyone know?

Steve

If you upgrade your sat nav disc to the lastest version or at least version E11 2008-2009 iirc, you will be able to change the navigation whilst driving.

• 2 weeks later...

If you upgrade your sat nav disc to the lastest version or at least version E11 2008-2009 iirc, you will be able to change the navigation whilst driving.

I've got the 2007/08 CD ROM in my IS220d Sat' Nav', if I upgrade it to a more recent disc, what else could I do that before was locked whilst on the move? For example, speed dial, MP3 track info, would they be enabled as they are either greyed-out or disappear as soon as the car moves off at the moment. Also, by upgrading the disc do you get the '3D' view like a Tom Tom as an option over the top down view I have now? I noticed that the '10 plate I test drove had the '3D' view as an option, but the '57 plate I bought just has the top down view only.

I've got the 2007/08 CD ROM in my IS220d Sat' Nav', if I upgrade it to a more recent disc, what else could I do

Hi,

I upgraded in the summer. Bad thing: no 3D view (though I can happily live without it), and my upgrade, which covers all of Europe, is on 4 DVDs, a bit of an issue if you drive across the continent in one day (I did) as you have to change them. Good news: as far as I'm aware, you can use pretty much everything while on the move, not that I recommend that, of course. Happy driving! :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply Emrys.

I'm not planning on driving abroad in my IS220d, so multi-discs for Europe is not an issue for me. I don't suppose you could just buy the disc for the UK?

Good to hear certain things can be accessed whilst on the move now - my major gripe is speed dial!

Shame there's no 3D view - I too can live without it, but it would have been nice to see for the extra expense of forking out over a ton for new CD ROMS.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for taking the time to reply Emrys.

I'm not planning on driving abroad in my IS220d, so multi-discs for Europe is not an issue for me. I don't suppose you could just buy the disc for the UK?

Hi,

Sorry for not replying sooner; I'm afraid I'm one of the few left who still think there's life off-line ;)

It's only a guess, but I don't think you can only buy the UK part. Having said that, personally I can't see why not.

Kind regards,

Em

I don't think that you can buy just the UK disc.

The only thing enabled by the upgrade is the Nav input whilst on the move. The phone function is still restricted to speed dials and the Audio folders are still greyed out, unless this has been fixed in the E12/13 updates?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the posts on this topic.

I have decided to update my Sat Nav discs to the latest version which apparently modifies the firmware and allows functions to be accessed on the move.

I am doing this through my local Lexus dealer as it is just easier that way. However, if you go down this route you may have to eduate the staff that the unlocking function is available on the newer versions of the software. My initial enquiries with the showroom personel regarding this were met with negativity, inisting that the locked screen is always a 'feature' even in the upgrade. Only after some gentle coaxing to make enquries with the technical side of the dealership did they realise it was really an option.

I have not had it installed yet but will confirm its functionality when it has been done.

Unfortunately, with regard to my origional post, my Lexus experience is getting worse as each week passes. It's not the place to discuss it here but if your interested in tales of Lexus woe, see my recent post in the "caliper seized " thread in the IS 250 Brakes and Suspension forum.

SJB27

I have decided to update my Sat Nav discs to the latest version which apparently modifies the firmware and allows functions to be accessed on the move.

I am doing this through my local Lexus dealer as it is just easier that way. However, if you go down this route you may have to eduate the staff that the unlocking function is available on the newer versions of the software. My initial enquiries with the showroom personel regarding this were met with negativity, inisting that the locked screen is always a 'feature' even in the upgrade. Only after some gentle coaxing to make enquries with the technical side of the dealership did they realise it was really an option.

I have not had it installed yet but will confirm its functionality when it has been done.

Unfortunately, with regard to my origional post, my Lexus experience is getting worse as each week passes. It's not the place to discuss it here but if your interested in tales of Lexus woe, see my recent post in the "caliper seized " thread in the IS 250 Brakes and Suspension forum.

SJB27

I updated my Is250 SE-L with the 2010 disks some time ago and can confirm the functionality allowing Nav operation whilst on the move. I recently sold my 250 so replaced the new disk(s) with the previous issue. In doing so the functionality to operate the Nav system on the move was retained, so the fix for anyone who doesn't want to update is perhaps borrow the 2010 or later revision disks, install and then put the old ones back in The new disks were transferred to my IS-F (before anyone asks). .

I am doing this through my local Lexus dealer as it is just easier that way.

What version are they supplying (Exx)? I believe that Lexus release a new version every year around November but dont recall seeing any info on the Nov 2010 release which I guess will be called 2011.

Also, how much they charging you for the privelege?

SJB27

Don't bother. Lexus charge a stupid fee for map updates. Speak to Reeves, he'll sort you out for a much more competitive rate, or search for the IMG files in the "usual" places

Don't bother. Lexus charge a stupid fee for map updates. Speak to Reeves, he'll sort you out for a much more competitive rate, or search for the IMG files in the "usual" places

I think the problem with the copied versions is that it doesnt install the firmware change that allows you to change navigations options whilst on the move.

http://www.lexus-mapupdates.eu/ is another option, reading peoples posts on here they appear to sell genuine copies cheaper than Lexus.

Again, check the versions to ensure you get the very latest which should have just come out.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links