Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

If you have been following other threads over the course of this year, you may recall my mentioning some changes I have made to the baby's exterior appearance.

As a rule I am all for original, original, original. I was toying with the idea of upgrading to a MKIV or even a 430. For a variety of reasons, I settled on a little modernisation.

This involved replacing the front indicators and repeaters with clear lenses, tinting the rear lenses and buying a dateless reg from DVLA auctions. The spec for the reg was 3 numbers/letters with no reference to the car or to me (FAT GIT 1 wasn't available anyway :hehe:)

The front lights can be seen here http://s1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/steveLS400/Clear%20Front%20Lights/

and the rear lights here http://s1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/steveLS400/Tinted%20Rear%20Lights/

Hope fully these links work.

Certainly the car looks very different. I was originally going to go for the black rear lights but the Cooper S failed its MOT due to it having blacked-out reflectors, so I went for a mid tint and masked the reflectors and the reversing lights.

Anyway, there here for you to view.

Hi Steve , certainly looks updated, how difficult were the rear lights to tint? From a spraying point of view.Also what windows have you film tinted? And to what % do they let light in.

Am also considering changing soon but maybe upgrades would be another option for me too.

Steve

Steve,

Well done on the modernisation.

I currently own a '98 MKIV, but with all the clear front light mods appearing on here, I am starting to fall in love with the look of the earlier Marks.

Nice looking motor mate!

Mike

Steve,

Well done on the modernisation.

I currently own a '98 MKIV, but with all the clear front light mods appearing on here, I am starting to fall in love with the look of the earlier Marks.

Nice looking motor mate!

Mike

Thank you for that, much appreciated.

Hi Steve , certainly looks updated, how difficult were the rear lights to tint? From a spraying point of view.Also what windows have you film tinted? And to what % do they let light in.

Am also considering changing soon but maybe upgrades would be another option for me too.

Steve

Hi

T have to confess that the privacy glass was done when I bought the car before anyone asks me how to do it. It prevents much being seen from outside but has little effect when on the inside; the view from the rear view mirror is fine as is the over-the-shoulder life saving view when overtaking. Had it not been fitted, I would have done it in this scheme of changing the appearance, which was done to give me that new car feel for a few quid (mind, the reg was £400! But in theory at least, its mine).

The most difficult part of the tinting process was masking-off the 4 clusters; they are a difficult shape so each took a good while to do. Don't even consider trying to spray them on the car. I had them horizontal (to prevent runs) on the bench with the garage door shut.

The process was, mask the reversing light and reflector areas, then lightly sand the lights. Unmask the reflectors, clean down. Mask the units, remask the reflectors and reversing lights, clean down again to remove finger prints. It took about an hour and a half to spray. I used many light coats of tint and a couple of coats of clear laquer. Its not necessary to use the laquer but it protects the tint and i can use any cleaner/polish on them without risk of removing the tint.

It was relatively warm when I did the job, but I still left the lights for 24 hours to harden. Whilst they were off I washed (carefully so not to fill the car with water!) and polished it. I also took the boot seal off and cleaned out and made good the channel. Apart from paint, masking tape and Tesco bags, I also used some double sided tape to refix the plastic trim inside the channel, it being these that help prevent water ingress to the boot.

Please note that the tint is very feint and the colour only develops with multiple coats. You can go to jet black but I don't recmmend it. There are a couple of tutorials on tinting the rear lights. None of the processes were difficult 'cept the main masking. Its just a time thing and allowing for drying time means the car is unusable until the lights are back on.

Looks good,I did my rear clusters son after buying but sprayed them in situ,masking off the bodywork around them,I think they had about 6 coats in total,had no problems with MOT or being pulled over.

lexusrears.jpg

I also fitted the clear front indicators but one of them leaked in water which then rusted the reflector and looked a mess,so I went for the smoked ones which have been fine and look better on a silver car I think.

lexus004.jpg

Also went for a private plate which I almost stole from a seller on eBay for £95.00 including the transfer fee L40 ***

Looks good,I did my rear clusters son after buying but sprayed them in situ,masking off the bodywork around them,I think they had about 6 coats in total,had no problems with MOT or being pulled over.

lexusrears.jpg

I also fitted the clear front indicators but one of them leaked in water which then rusted the reflector and looked a mess,so I went for the smoked ones which have been fine and look better on a silver car I think.

lexus004.jpg

Also went for a private plate which I almost stole from a seller on ebay for £95.00 including the transfer fee L40 ***

Looks mega. I opted for the off the car approached. Having just finished madams kitchen makeover which entailed painting all the cupoard doors in the garage and spraying part of them, I couldn't believe the overspray that generated. In a one of the pics I posted at the start of this thread there is a radio/ghetto blaster that was black but ended up fairly grey from that overspray. Couldn't risk it with the baby.

Looks well sexy mate. Always liked the clear indicator. Where did you get them from and, dare I ask, how much?

Got the front ones after much searching from fleabay.com, $46.99 plus $30 postage. I have not seen them on .uk. If you can't find them pm me.

The side repeaters are early MR2 and regularly available in the uk. I was mega fortunate in that a fellow member on here sent mine to me foc. They are a straight swap in seconds.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links