Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1995 Ls400 Breakers Fee?

I have a 1995 LS 400 (148K)which I use daily and have owned for about 8 years.

However I am ready for an upgrade to about a 2001 LS430, my car is not really retailable without a few hundred quid spending on it, and that money would not really increase its value.

Can anyone give me a ball park figure what I would get from a breaker? it is taxed, MOTd and runs well although the belt change is overdue.

I only do about 6K per year and it is possible I will keep it until major expenditure is required.

Also my private plate is my forum name and I got a valuation of £600 for that but I suppose you only recieve that when the plate is actually sold which could take years.

For my newer LS430 I would not want a private plate.

Any help or tips most welcome, TIA

And you think the upgrade to a 430 would bring you more reliability ??? and less on-going costs !

If the cambelt was changed less than 100,000 miles / 10 years ago then it really doesn't need changing yet and the rest is probably just fair wear and tear that will cost you less than the cost of the upgrade.

But there you are, deep in your heart you really know the answer already, and if you want to scrap the dear old lady and take on heavier maintenance and servicing costs and capital costs out of your pocket then, well, go ahead and sell her for a pittance to the breakers ! Watch her cry !!!!

It will be sad. She should be good for at least another 150,000 miles yet. :tomato::hehe:

Malc

I agree with Malc here.

A breaker would give you about £100 - £150 max. Do you really want to let your LS go for that kind of cash?

As Malc said, the 430 is more advanced thus more can go wrong. The air suspension is a weak point on the 430 and is an arm and a leg to fix.

Of course, it's your car, so you decide what way to go.....

Ruud hi, I can't seem to reply to your pm message via this site !! strange. However, my silver LS is said to be " gold " but looks silver to me and my tinted glass looks to be grey ish / brown ish I think

Malc

sorry if I've upset the thread on this one .. apologies.

I have a 1995 LS 400 (148K)which I use daily and have owned for about 8 years.

However I am ready for an upgrade to about a 2001 LS430, my car is not really retailable without a few hundred quid spending on it, and that money would not really increase its value.

Can anyone give me a ball park figure what I would get from a breaker? it is taxed, MOTd and runs well although the belt change is overdue.

I only do about 6K per year and it is possible I will keep it until major expenditure is required.

Also my private plate is my forum name and I got a valuation of £600 for that but I suppose you only recieve that when the plate is actually sold which could take years.

For my newer LS430 I would not want a private plate.

Any help or tips most welcome, TIA

My 1995 hs 192k on it and I'm planning on keeping it.

You my get £250 or more from a scrap dealer rather than a breaker. And if you do go that route, surrender the tax yourself as you won't get any more for it being taxed.

Why not put the private plate on another car?

I would keep her.

Ruud hi, I can't seem to reply to your pm message via this site !! strange. However, my silver LS is said to be " gold " but looks silver to me and my tinted glass looks to be grey ish / brown ish I think

Malc

sorry if I've upset the thread on this one .. apologies.

is the windscreen the same?

If it were me, I think I'd try to cost all the work that's necessary to make the car sellable at a decent price. Even if I didn't make much profit, I'd prefer to do that than scrap the car, because in most ways it surely must have lots of life left in it.

My old LS, a J plate 92 model with 189k miles and scrapes all over and needing a cambelt change and exhaust / flanges or whatever being noisy, I gave away in the end to a buddy who kept it together for his dad to run.

Needed new tyres and rear bumper that someone kindly wrote their Micra off on Xmas 2007, and I couldn't part with it as a scrapper after 5 years of great motoring.

I loved that car, dopey I know.

But hey Ruud, yes my " silver " 94 LS windscreen is the same tint as the other glass.

Malc

Thanks for the input guys, you are probably right that I should keep the lovely LS. This is the longest I have ever had a car and I just felt ready for a more modern style.

My belt was changed at around 71K now done 148K, but I guess the 10 years cannot be far around the corner.

I have my Rent and MOT until September and as I said I only do about 6K per annum.

I put a new Battery on a few months ago and I have had to have a couple of shockers in the past year or so which I got easily from Heathrow jap spares.

It looks like I will take the advice of BMs and keep my LS unless something major happens, like I win 2 mill on the lottery, then you can all come round my drum and have a nice drink. :)

Thanks for the input guys, you are probably right that I should keep the lovely LS. This is the longest I have ever had a car and I just felt ready for a more modern style.

My belt was changed at around 71K now done 148K, but I guess the 10 years cannot be far around the corner.

I have my Rent and MOT until September and as I said I only do about 6K per annum.

I put a new battery on a few months ago and I have had to have a couple of shockers in the past year or so which I got easily from Heathrow jap spares.

It looks like I will take the advice of BMs and keep my LS unless something major happens, like I win 2 mill on the lottery, then you can all come round my drum and have a nice drink. :)

Glad LOC was able to show you the true way :winky: please keep in touch a little more often; 24 posts in 8 years can be bettered :hehe:

You must have a mighty big driveway to accommodate all us LS400 owners and a drink, wow, we'll have to stay over !!

Sounds good tho', . Where are you in the UK by the way ?

Malc

My 1992 has done 145000 and im just about to do the rear shocks and strut arm bushes, the shaft in the drivers seat still has'nt been replaced, the cigar lighter has not worked since I changed the radio facia and I originally bought the car to extract the engine and box to transfer to a 4x4 but after all the vehicles I have driven the LS is the most rewarding experience (maybe need to get out more lol) so a little bit of work to keep her going is not too much :winky:

I put a new battery on a few months ago and I have had to have a couple of shockers in the past year or so which I got easily from Heathrow jap spares.

I understand what you say about a more modern style but in my opinion the early LS syle is a real classic. When it's well looked after it still looks great, which is more than can be said about Mercs,BM's andeven Jags, they just look dated.

I understand what you say about a more modern style but in my opinion the early LS syle is a real classic. When it's well looked after it still looks great, which is more than can be said about Mercs,BM's andeven Jags, they just look dated.

Agreed. My '94 SIlver LS is sitting next to my 2010 Silver Kia Cee'd SW and it's almost impossible to tell which is the newer one (condition wise)

Hi Guys,

As someone who has owned a mk 2, mk 3, mk4 and currently a 430, and at the risk of upsetting people, I think what you should do is; Run the one you have until the tax and mot run out. At this point decide what you want to do You won't get any more if you scrap one with mot or without, BUT,in the mean time why not have a good long, relaxed search for a really good mk4? Between £2-3K should get you one.

I honestly feel that the 430 is a better car(though not as good looking at the front). It feels a bit faster, and handles better with far less roll in corners than the earlier models. Its better equiped and,-personal opinion- I like that. It may cost more to maintain in the future IF things go wrong, remember they may not and on here we tend to hear the bad news rather than the good. Normal service costs are no higher, but the "potential" extra cost is the price you pay for what we are told is progress. Everything seems to be getting more complicated.

If you decide you don't want a 430 then based on my experience the mk 4 is the one to aim for. It was faster than the earlier models with 260 bhp and perhaps due to the 5 speed box was more economical too. I preferred the front end style and also I liked the sat nav built in though the updated discs are a bit expensive.

What ever you decide be happy to know you will be driving one of the best cars you can get.

Pete

I have a similar difficult decision to make. My LS400 from 1995 has now done 142,000. Every now and then it needs large sums of money being spent to keep it running. The latest is a new steering rack - over £2000. Much as I hate to see this beautifully comfortable, smooth running car leave me forever I find it very difficult to justify spending more than the car is worth to keep it going. I guess it is different if you are prepared to work on the car yourself but I am more than four times as old as the car and not willing to play that game any more. So sad as it may be I think it is probably time to move on.

Peter

I have a similar difficult decision to make. My LS400 from 1995 has now done 142,000. Every now and then it needs large sums of money being spent to keep it running. The latest is a new steering rack - over £2000. Much as I hate to see this beautifully comfortable, smooth running car leave me forever I find it very difficult to justify spending more than the car is worth to keep it going. I guess it is different if you are prepared to work on the car yourself but I am more than four times as old as the car and not willing to play that game any more. So sad as it may be I think it is probably time to move on.

Peter

Thank you for coming to see us. Dont do anything drastic without spending a bit of time with us.

I'm sure that this forum will be able to help you find a steering rack and guide you towards its fitting (by getting a man in) at a fraction of the the £2k you are facing.

Peter

Peter, in my view you should not always compare the repair costs to the value of the car, but to what it would cost you to get a car that is exactly as good and reliable.

You probably can find a (much) cheaper car for less than the price of one (big) repair job, but my experience is that that car usually also is in need of (big?) repairs. Or is not running so smoothly as the car you already have. You can always be lucky of course...

I agree that there is a point of saying goodbye to your trusty old friend. But if the repair costs are halfway acceptable to you, you at least know that the rest of the car (and all of it if you do repair) is in good condition.

When you buy a new or almost new car, like a large part of the car buyers, the depreciation alone is more than regular larger repairs. And you drive a car that is a lot more comfortable, but not so "trendy".

Hope this helps you to come to the right conclusion for yourself.

Good luck with these tough decisions.

Jac

p.s. I recently let my old car (not Lexus, but to me super comfortable) go and bought a 2004 LS430 for an amount of money I could have kept the old car running forever.... I am still not certain that I made the right decision.

Peter

A new steering rack at 142k miles .................. u sure ? beggars belief ! Anyway, Benfur on here will surely have one for you for peanuts by comparison .... he breaks LSs'

Malc

• 3 weeks later...

My LS400 has just got its own back on me.

Remember I started the thread about breakers fees? I now have no choice, my LS400 has passed away, and will have to be cremated shortly.

I was driving in leicester on friday and I heard an unusal tinkering type noise from under the bonnet, I thought it may have been water pump or alternater.

After the noise getting louder I pulled into a side street to see lots of smoke in my rear view mirror and a smell of burning.

I managed to pull the car into a parking space and smoke was now coming through the gaps in the bonnet area, I switched off the ignition and waited. Fortunately things got better and no actual fire broke out, although later their was no dashboard lights so I couldn't even wind the window up.

The Churchill relay wagon got me home in good time and the car is now on my drive.

My mechanic friend brought over a Battery and we tried to get some power just to close the window, but when he connected his jump leads there was heavy sparking and he reckoned something was stuck electric wise.

Just over a year ago i had the alternater rebuilt because it had become damaged with power steering fluid dropping on it, do later models of the LS have this problem?

My friend thinks it may have been the alternater which failed causing something to burn out and create all the smoke and burning smell.

We have decided not to attempt a repair and I am now looking for a replacement.

I just thought that I'd keep the board informed.

My LS400 has just got its own back on me.

Remember I started the thread about breakers fees? I now have no choice, my LS400 has passed away, and will have to be cremated shortly.

I was driving in leicester on friday and I heard an unusal tinkering type noise from under the bonnet, I thought it may have been water pump or alternater.

After the noise getting louder I pulled into a side street to see lots of smoke in my rear view mirror and a smell of burning.

I managed to pull the car into a parking space and smoke was now coming through the gaps in the bonnet area, I switched off the ignition and waited. Fortunately things got better and no actual fire broke out, although later their was no dashboard lights so I couldn't even wind the window up.

The Churchill relay wagon got me home in good time and the car is now on my drive.

My mechanic friend brought over a battery and we tried to get some power just to close the window, but when he connected his jump leads there was heavy sparking and he reckoned something was stuck electric wise.

Just over a year ago i had the alternater rebuilt because it had become damaged with power steering fluid dropping on it, do later models of the LS have this problem?

My friend thinks it may have been the alternater which failed causing something to burn out and create all the smoke and burning smell.

We have decided not to attempt a repair and I am now looking for a replacement.

I just thought that I'd keep the board informed.

Oh dear. No the later ones dont have such a nasty problem.

Today I have agreed to buy a 2002 (51)LS430, more details when it is on my drive.

I will not be transferring my cherished reg to my new car as I don't want to attract attention, especially from the boys in blue if I have had a glass of sherry.:)

Read your and others posts with interest. I have an LS400 which has 150k (replaced my dear old Merc SE500 which only did 118k but rust set in...).

Am very happy with my Lexus as is my wife (most important!). There is some brake judder but I can live with this. Lexus Wolverhampton carried out a full service and checkup just after purchase in July.

Gone off thread, sorry. What I wanted to say was good luck with your future purchase.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links