Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Se Purchase

Hello one and all - newbie here and it will probably show as you will have probably been asked this before.

I have a 24 hour test drive lined up on Wednesday, but I am pretty sure in advance that I will like it.

I have already found a car I like through my local dealer but it is at another dealers at the other end of the country.

Q1. Is 17,995 a good price for a 2001 IS200 SE Auto with Sat Nav and Tracker - 19,000 miles

Q2. I am trading in a toyota celica (old shape P reg) for about 4.500, add to this that the car I want would need to be bought down from the other end of the country what haggle options do I have apart from the PX price ? worth asking for any extra's for the car?

Q3. The dealer info showed that the car I want only went on the books on Friday and my local dealer said that the other showroom may want 2-3 weeks to try and sell it themselves before they would consider shipping it to them for sale. Does this sound right ?

Thanks in advance one and all - I am looking forwards to trawling through all the old messages here and catching up.

Are the two dealers part of the same company (e.g. both Inchcape)? If not then I would suggest going direct to the dealer who has the car. I have never found Lexus dealer co-operate very well.

When I asked if a dealer could get me a car that was from another dealer he said he would try and then phone me up a day later and say the car was already sold. When I checked myself the orginal dealer still had the car. This happened twice to me!

As for the price, I would say £1,000 too much.

Sorry Colin,

I have to disagree there... When I bought my used IS200 SE... because I was looking for an exact car/colour/mileage.. my dealer sourced one in Dorset for me, got it brought up JUST for me to test drive.. and if i didn't like it, it would of been sent back down again..

BUT if your prepared to spend drop me a PM and i will exsplai how i can get you the 6 month old sports for £17,500

these are....UK cars!!

approx 6000miles on the clock, no damage

and UK registered, 1 owner

Welcome to the club Hawk Man :)

What part of the country are you in? I recently p/x'd a 2001 SE Auto, same spec (but no tracker) for £18K at the local dealer. If you're going with one from a dealer, check the alloys very closely, if there's the slightest sign of corrosion, get the dealer to replace them. Also, if there's any stone chips at all, get those fixed too. Rest of the car should be a dream.

I like the look of Supra's deal - sounds like a bargain B)

Thanks Guys

Supra - your deal does sound excellent but I am 100% after an auto car and I do not believe the sports comes in an auto does it ?

Colin - why do you think the price is about 1000 to much, is that based on dealer prices or what I could buy the car for on a private sale?

BTW I am in SE UK and my local dealer is Lexus Bromley. I do not know what company this is part of or if the other dealer, Leeds, is part of the same group.

One thing the sales guy said to me was if he got the car down from Leeds then I would be obliged to purchase it so that leads me to believe that it is another company.

I assume that he will try and get me to sign something. I would only do that with the caveat that I would buy it ONLY if the paintwork and interior were to a standard that I found acceptable AFTER I had seen it.

As an aside, I was looking at the Gold membership page and this mentions up to 15% discount from dealers (parts or cars??) as well as other benefits. Do the panel think it is worth splashing out £25 before purchasing a Lexus? I will 100% by one (I have tried BMW, Porche) even if I do not buy the one from Leeds.

Final question - Any pointers on Lexus specific insurers ?

Many thanks one and all for your patience and insight

What part of the country are you in? I recently p/x'd a 2001 SE Auto, same spec (but no tracker) for £18K at the local dealer. 

You got 18k trade-in at you're local dealer? How many miles did it have on the clock?

My local dealer only offered my £18.5k on my 3 month old IS200 SE auto against a £38k RX300 SE-L!!!!! :tsktsk:

I think it's £1000 overpriced because there is a SE auto with Sat Nav, 19,000 miles within M25 for £16,995 on the Lexus web site.

If you don't mind 32,000 miles you can save another £1,500.

Remember that Lexus dealers have big price markups so try and beat them down a bit.

Colin - I think the car you are alluding to is a Y reg with the old sat nav system, the car I am looking at is a 2001 (51) car. The parkers price for this on 20k miles is £17525

I was looking for a car no older than 2 years old with under 20,000 miles as I do about 200 miles per week just getting to and from work, add to that the odd customer visit and my mileage can be 25-30 thousand per year.

I also need a fairly new (2 years or under) car as I am on the top car allowance at work and they have just bought in some rules for this :tsktsk: - My Celica, although a P reg was purchased 18 months ago for £8,000 with only 13,000 on the clock my plan was to hoard the £750 my company gives me per month and just run this car into the ground. The new rules have changed this plan :tsktsk:

Javaman - I will think about your offer, the price is very good but I would need to see about getting rid of my car first.

What part of the country are you in? I recently p/x'd a 2001 SE Auto, same spec (but no tracker) for £18K at the local dealer. 

You got 18k trade-in at you're local dealer? How many miles did it have on the clock?

My local dealer only offered my £18.5k on my 3 month old IS200 SE auto against a £38k RX300 SE-L!!!!! :tsktsk:

It was a 2001 (51) 200SE Auto Navigator with 21K miles on it. Only mods were alloy scuff plates and parking sensors. Dealer (Lexus Brighton) offered me £18K as a trade in against a new IS300 Nav, plus some money off the options.

It was a 2001 (51) 200SE Auto Navigator with 21K miles on it. Only mods were alloy scuff plates and parking sensors. Dealer (Lexus Brighton) offered me £18K as a trade in against an IS300, plus some money off extras.

Sounds like my dealer has started with a stupid offer then.

My car:

IS200 SE Automatic in Strathcaron Blue with Oakham.

Registered 8/3/2003. 2700 miles. Balance of warranty outstanding.

Oakham mats.

Front and rear scuff plates.

Parking sensors (4 sensor type)

Supaguard interior/exterior treatment (including mats)

3 years servicing vouchers (Lexus deal with cars purchased in March)

Car always garaged. For sale due to upgrading to new RX300 SE-L.

List price £23,340.80.

This has shown me that I'm being realistic with wanting £19.5k for it.

Remember that Lexus dealers have big price markups so try and beat them down a bit.

Now there's some good advice. I hammered down the price of a Lexus IS200 SE, Astral Black, 14K miles, 52-plate from my local Lexus (Newcastle).

You should try to visit the dealer nearer the end of the month (they have a sales target to reach), and be prepared to walk away [no dealer will want a 52-plate sitting on their forecourt when the 53-plates are coming out in September!]. I signed my deal after visiting Lexus for three days on the bounce.

Don't forget about your trade-in on your Toyota Celica! Don't let them talk the price down... get as much as you can for it. All Lexus will do is sell it to another dealer, or auction it. You may want to register your interest in a Toyota similar to your vehicle's details... as Lexus will check to see what the current interest in similar vehicles are..! If the interest is high, then they'll be less worried about resale and may be more able to offer a decent trade-in.

Even if you cannot negotiate a reduction in the "forecourt" price, get them to chuck as many extra's into the deal as possible. Car mats, Supaguard interior/exterior treatment, free servicing, scuff-plates, privacy windows are all extra's that cost Lexus very little.

Hope my two-pence makes you at least think about your options. All the best whatever you do... as long as you walk away happy from the deal (with or without the Lexus), that's all that matters!

Why not phone Lexus Leeds .... tell them the deal you want ........ subject to each seeing the others car ........... and if they come up with it .............. have a drive up there .......... I have done this 2 or 3 times buying cars and it can be worth a day out to clinch that damn good deal .....

The price of the car on the lexus website has increased by £500 to £18,495!

Does this happen often?

Hawk Man PM me and I will give you the guys name at Leeds to speak to, he did an excellent deal for me and is willng to cut to the chase offer what you want to move a car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links