Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Turbo Woes

Kavey

Hey all

After all that waiting, got an email from TDi today - apparently the Turbo kit I had on order for the last 2 months is no longer available from HKS :(, so I'm left in a bit of a tizz about my Tezz...

My options are:

1. Look for an alternative solution for the Turbo/Intercooler combo

2. Sack the idea and get something like an old MR2 I can thrash about and leave the Tezza be...

I've seen the following options are available through the LET'S ALTEZZA site:

a. Trust/Greddy kit - cost 230,000 Yen

b. Apexi AX53B60 Turbine kit - cost 428,000 Yen

c. Blitz Kit - cost 820,000 Yen

The current exchange rate is about 195 Yen to £1.

Anyone have any specific knowledge pros or cons about that lot. The Blitz kit is attractive as it comes with an intercooler, thus will have all the relevant pipework etc.... at that conversion rate, we're looking at £4100 plus duty and shipping. I've seen it at www.tuneacar.co.uk at £6k+VAT :blink::blink: Hmmmmmm...

Obviously fitting has to be added to all of these.... :angry:

Anyone have a good way of importing?!!? Anyone have any other suggestions. I've heard of TOM's turbo for the RS200. Anyone know about it?

Otherwise, maybe I should just get an old 3S-GTE MR2... or maybe a huge Plasma TV :blink::lol:

Asam KV

Matt didn't you say that the Tom's kit was a bit dodgy?

As for which kit to go for, how much playing do you want to do - a little every now and then to up the spec or ready to go and only off the road the once?

Matt didn't you say that the Tom's kit was a bit dodgy?

As for which kit to go for, how much playing do you want to do - a little every now and then to up the spec or ready to go and only off the road the once?

Well I had planned to do it semi-incrementally, ie the Turbo and intercooler then later other stuff to increase the boost, but the Blitz kit comes as the whole shebang, with lots of gasket malarkey etc. so is a 'full on' kit.

I spoke to Blitz today - their price is £5960+VAT, so still way too expensive really - when you add fitting I'd be looking at paying well over £8k :blink: which is more than 2/3rds the value of the car :blink::blink: I had originally budgeted for £4-5k so really this isn't looking likely.. :sad:

For that I could get a phatted up MR2 and use that for track days! I'm seriously considering a 'weekend' car now instead as a second car... or maybe I'll just spend some cash on a phat new ICE install... or a new A/V setup at home :lol:

Does the Tezz use a 3S-GE engine? If so why not buy a crashed MR2T and drop the 3S-GTE into it.

Yes it does.... would that work? :blink:

What an interesting idea... only thing being, I'm not sure if the 3S-GTE's open up to an 8000 redline do they?

At the moment I'm already pushing about 225-230bhp with the dual VVTi system, swapping the engine out may not give me much more... the idea was to take it to around 275-300bhp....

Hmmmmm :shifty:

Just had a look on Fensport web site. They list a Blitz supercharger for the Tezz. £2,500 cheaper than the turbo.

www.fensport.co.uk

Goto parts, select the Altezza and then engine tuning from the parts menu on the left.

A 1994+ MR2T is 240bhp standard. Add a boost controller and intake and you have 280-300bhp for around £500. Add a new clutch, injectors, raise the fuel pressure add water injection and you will get 350bhp+

Speak to Fensport about an engine transplant. They do it to Corollas etc. They have a 3S-GTE in a corolla with 420bhp! They also import low mileage engines.

So could I do the same mod to my IS200?? What would be involved? Or is there a way of dropping a 2.2 VTEC lump into the Lex?

Anything is possible given the will and the budget, but it is much easier and cheaper to convert the Tez engine to 2.2 litres using Toda or HKS parts than to try and graft a Honda engine in there.

The Greddy and Apexi turbo kits are still available.

Mark :)

Dawsey's Corolla has the MR2 turbo Engine in it and I can vouch for the performance! its aint slow!

Kavey,

I can also testify that there are ups and downs to having a summer/track car.

I'm going to sell my Rex as it is a hoot to drive but I can't help but miss the great experience of the Lexus. when I go down to stoke on a Sunday I think its great but driving back I know the LEx would be the prefered choice. thinking about some subtle mods on the Lex to make it a little more cruise friendly... might just be a case of lowered, cheap rear tyres that I can smoke away!

GOod louck with the mods, Kavey!

Loz :zee:

thinking about some subtle mods on the Lex to make it a little more cruise friendly... might just be a case of lowered, cheap rear tyres that I can smoke away!

Loz

have a look at the US Lexus Owners Club GS forums mate.

there are a shedload of guys doing up there GS's on there mate - you will get a better idea of whats out there from the US site.

and because I really can't help myself - heres another completely gratuitous picture of MrSpyher's GS - just to get Loz going

6.jpg

Still toying with various ideas on this....

I'm edging more towards a coupe to thrash about on a track, as I love the Lex, but given I'm doing mostly town driving these days, going down a Turbo might be a bit of a waste of potential. Supercharger might be an alternative...

If I got a cheap coupe, I could spend some time modding it etc. :winky:

But then, I've also seen a nice 37" LCD TV :whistling: and there are some styling bits I could do to the existing Lex....

+94 (rev3) 3S-GTE stock was 245Bhp as stock not 240Bhp, very modifiable and easily available, the changeover shouldn't be too much aof a problem and there are an awful lot fo toys.

No matter how much I love the two I would keep the tezza instead of selling it for a two although for the money your looking at you could get the daddy of all two's (well almost).

Have guiys over on IMOC running 450BHp plus off the 3s-gte and a lot of knowledge out there about the engine, would be a lovely toy to see around town :)

+94 (rev3) 3S-GTE stock was 245Bhp as stock not 240Bhp, very modifiable and easily available, the changeover shouldn't be too much aof a problem and there are an awful lot fo toys.

No matter how much I love the two I would keep the tezza instead of selling it for a two although for the money your looking at you could get the daddy of all two's (well almost).

Have guiys over on IMOC running 450BHp plus off the 3s-gte and a lot of knowledge out there about the engine, would be a lovely toy to see around town :)

Not thinking of selling the Tezz... what madness would that be!!!

No I'm just thinking that all the ca$h that I might have spent on the turbo for the Tezz could be better spent on a weekend thrash-about or a HUGE TV and A/V setup :lol::lol:

In that case £5 would get you a good Mk2 Turbo T-Bar... or....

If you want a car which is more of a drivers car and extremely good fun I know a compnay importing a low mileage '89 White Mk1 Supercharger with a few extra toys for £3800. Amazing drivers car with great handling and definately different, don't see many MK1 SC's around and definately don't see many in this good condition....

If you want a car which is more of a drivers car and extremely good fun I know a compnay importing a low mileage '89 White Mk1 Supercharger with a few extra toys for £3800. Amazing drivers car with great handling and definately different, don't see many MK1 SC's around and definately don't see many in this good condition....

£5? :blink::blink: :duh:

£5? :blink::blink: :duh:

if it was the one at the go karting hes ripping you off :P :P

+94 (rev3) 3S-GTE stock was 245Bhp as stock not 240Bhp

If we want to be precise about this it is actually 241.6484 bhp as the only spec Toyota used for the J spec MR2 is 245PS not bhp. Also remember this figure is based on 100RON fuel.

The Celica GT-Four was the only car to use the 3S-GTE engine in the UK and that produced 239bhp on 95RON in 1994.

+94 (rev3) 3S-GTE stock was 245Bhp as stock not 240Bhp

If we want to be precise about this it is actually 241.6484 bhp as the only spec Toyota used for the J spec MR2 is 245PS not bhp. Also remember this figure is based on 100RON fuel.

The Celica GT-Four was the only car to use the 3S-GTE engine in the UK and that produced 239bhp on 95RON in 1994.

Okay. My budget is around £5k ish - maybe a tad more. Additionally if I'm a good boy, I might have another £1.5k to spend on mods.

Been looking at Supras as well as MR2s.... thoughts/caveats?

I've joined TOC as well too :whistling: to have a nose around, so am seeing what's around.

Ideally I want a convertible-styley, a la Elise/MR2 Tbar etc, but the power of the Supra is attractive...

The power thing is somewhat academic given that the power/weight ratio will be much better in a 2 seater than in my Tezz, but I want around 200 horses methinks... if not more.

Mat (Supra) got any tips on some nice s2000s? :lol:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links