Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Ls400 / Gs300 - What Are The Key Differences?

I'm looking for a reliable big car to see me through the next few months before going to Australia. I'd initially been looking at an LS400 as these seem to tick all the boxes for £1000. However, I've recently seen a GS300 on eBay for similar money yet the car seems to be a little newer with less miles.

I've focused my searching on LS400s until so I know little of the GS

What are the key difference between these two? I'm thinking of reliability and running costs mainly.

reliability and running cost , but still want a big(ish) toyota?.

Then a toyota Camry I think is ahead of an gs300 in terms of running costs , equal on reliability and a well spec'ed model only slightly less luxurious.

I had the GX V6 Auto Camry estate , and it was nearly as nice to drive as the LS is.

(and can fit 2 washing machines in the back with the seats down!!).

smaller engined ones not so nice to drive , stick to the V6 if its an auto.

Well, Gs300 has quite similar interior except the dashboard, that is more "sporty", but the seats for instance look just the same. The engine is same than in Toyota Supra, so 3l straight six non-turbo, about 220hp. I am not sure if the automatic is the same than in Ls400.

I personally do not like Gs300 that much, Ls400 looks like a classic sedan and I like that.

I've had both of them. 400 is more spacious but the main difference I've found is that the boot is much bigger on the 400. I'd say the 300 feels more sporty although both are very nippy machines. Fuel economy is a bit better on the 300.

Yeah I have had both and would agree with Cullers. GS300 is really a sort of BMW sporty 5 series competitor, and I enjoyed it for that. I think the 3l engine mated to the GS auto box is undoubtedly the sweetest combination I have ever driven (for sportiness). But the GS is set up hard and the ride is rough and noisy compared to the LS which of course has a lot more attention paid to cutting out lots of other sources of noise. I would never go back to a GS - and the hybrid ones have a glove compartment sized boot.

The LS amazes any passengers you stick in the back with the reclining heated massage seats and electric blinds and fridge ... but in truth I must have used those features less than 1% of the time.

Mike

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I'd not considered a Camry but a quite look on the web reveals the V6 is a rare beast and the one I did find for sale is almost £1000 more expensive than a similar mileage LS400

Goochie, this isn't really an answer to your question, but my mechanic has a GS300 and every time he drives my Ls400 he's tempted to get one himself, but doesn't bother because he uses his own car so little.

The Camry is a car that's sort of slipped through the net - the later ones are supposed to be like mini-Lexuses but have no image and are therefore not much more expensive than Avensises.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links