Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Why Does Top Gear Dislike Lexus?

I was watching some old Top Gear episodes over the weekend. The episode with the LFA, fair enough they love that but Hammond keeps slating the Lexus brand. Also in another episode they ask the audience what they think the most reliable car of the year is and someone answers Lexus and Hammond replies "Lexus don't break but we wish they would"

Anybody know what their problem is? Just curious lol...

Who cares?

Top Gear hasn't been about proper motoring since Quentin and co left, leaving three overgrown schoolboys to make a puerile light entertainment programme.

Everything they say should be seen in that light, i.e getting cheap laughs.

I still watch it because I'm a bit of an old petrolhead, but only because there are cars on there, and that's rare on tv now.

The presenters, particularly head boy Clarkson, are an irritation for me.

Agree with you Mikey In my view the three presenters each have there own favourites and will just cut down any other manufacture, the self parking feather on the LS was a prime example, not following the simple instructions and not placing the car in the correct position in the first place meant it didn’t have a hope in hell of parking itself correctly. Quinton Wilson is in fact a Lexus enthusiast and launched the new GS at my local Lexus dealership, and I had the opportunity to talk to him for sometime, he himself owned a LS for sometime and spoke of many times when he had to go and rescue Clarkson from a breakdown, so much so that the press got wind of it and had a headline, “ now who knows more about cars”.

We all have our own opinion and experiences, I was a ford man for 25 years, would drive nothing else until I hired a car, I wanted a jaguar but that was all ready rented out so I was told it would be a Lexus GS 300 latargo, never herd of it I said. Since then I love them, have had 4 with no problems at all and just waiting for delivery of number 5. GS450h f sport.

It isn't just Top Gear though. Look at What Car, Auto Express etc. Lexus vehicles don't get great reviews.

Maybe with the exception of the IS, Lexus aren't really true drivers cars so the UK press don't really like them.

It's not the cars - it's the press. Well, it is the cars ... because Lexus aren't made in Germany.

I'd agree with mikeyv's opinion of the Top Gear presenters - I don't watch that any more (despite being a petrol head myself) because I can't stand the attitude of the presenters. The car magazines are similar, What Car should really be called What VW or What Audi, just like What Hi-fi used to be What Sony.

My advice to anyone on the wider internet reading this post and thinking "Do I check out Lexus ?" is - make your own mind up. Check out the cars, drive them. Forget about the badge when it comes to driving experience. Then look at the badge when it comes to "can I rely on this car ?" and look up the JD Power results ...

Oh for having magazines on the shelf that give us Truth ! :devil:

you get other HiFi mags that don't just go with Sony though. You don't find car mags that put Lexus before BMW in terms of a car review, not even Which?

One reason is car reviews are based on a quite short experience with the vehicle and mainly about driving. There is no comparison from a 'drivers' point of view between a 5 series and GS for example and so the BMW comes out on top. Even with some European focus, the Lexus vehicles are mainly designed with the US in mind, so there isn't the focus on ride and handling on our roads.

You are purchasing a Lexus for other reason; refinement, build quality, reliability, specification, to drive something that is different to the masses, the brand and customer experience/satisfaction - this is where Lexus wins.

Lexus used to be about value for money. That is less so these days. Lexus vehicles get more and more expensive and the German manufactures are starting to give more as standard equipment so the gap is closing.

I've recently purchased a Lexus is 220 and when I was looking round for a car Lexus never entered my head but since I've driven it I think it's very good the only thing I've got to get used to is that you have to drive the car and you can't be lazy with it ie changing gear at the right times

At the end of the day as Clint Eastwood said, “opinions are like @ssholes, everyone’s got one”. It is a bad reflection on society that people buy cars based on the opinion of others. My likes, dislikes, driving style etc are all personal to me. I buy a car based on my preferences and needs at the time. Saying that though, I have owned all the competitors cars. 3 Series, 7 Series, A4, A6, C Class, E Class, S Class. I have also had an IS200 an LS400 and shortly an IS220 SE-L. Of all, my BMW 735 was a great car, but compared to my LS400, the BMW cost me a lot more in repairs and maintenance. The 3 Series was not as well built as the A4, but the IS200 was still overall a better car (except for the fuel consumption…but we’ll skip past that). The worst cars I have had have all been Mercedes. The build quality, breakdowns and dealer rip-off’s were incredible. The most reliable car I have ever owned was a 2.0 petrol Honda Civic Type-S 5door. The only issue with the car was road and wind noise, I don’t think Honda had spent any time on sound deadening or door seals.

Going back to the original topic, Top Gear and the motoring press would completely disagree with me. As was mentioned above, they all base their opinions on short time test drives and not real world, day to day living with the cars doing thousands of miles on Britain’s dreadful roads. I never drive my car as fast as it will go round a track!

• 1 month later...

They caanot accept the fact that the Japanese build a better car than the Germans when they put thier mind to it. I mean look at the Toyota Supra, the Nissan Skyline, the Lexus LS400, Civic TypeR's and S2000's, Subaru STI's, Honda NSX, Toyota Land Cruiser not to metion a few. These cars would kill any German car in its class be it handling, speed, ride quality and refinement, reliability you name it. and once some of thier engines are tuned we all know the bhp figures they could produce. dont get me wrong German cars do have it aswell but the Japanese beat them in all aspects so I never listen to those guys on TV and tend to do my own research on a car.

• 1 month later...

Clarkson and co are incredibly biased toward German manufacturers. On Top Gear, Japanese cars barely get a mention even though nearly every survey published shows they consistently come out on top for reliability. Week after week the three-pointed star is promoted shamelessly, yet to mention Lexus in the same breath as Mercedes or BMW is unheard of. I can't recall a Lexus comparison test drive on the programme at all. A real shame. Such a blinkered view of car brands is deplorable and I believe Top Gear actually influences German car sales worldwide to the detriment of excellent cars like Lexus.

• 3 months later...

Stopped watching Top Gear years ago. Mainly because of the above mentioned.

Clarkson doesn't like anything below 50K and his little slave buddies just follow suit.

We have a Toyota Celica and I've spent £120 in repairs over the last 7 years and last month another 70 odd on a fuel tank pipe.

I have had a 5-Series E39 for five years and I spent an average of £80 a month on it. Also had a 7-Series for a short period at the same time and the only thing I had to replace was the fuel tank BUT at a price of nearly €1000!

I keep comparing my IS200 to the 5-Series which is wrong as it' should be compared more to a 3er. Difference in quality feel? Yeah but then the base price reflects that too.

I need something that does NOT break down or costs me the earth to run so opted for the little IS.

I quite like it!

I watch Top Gear for entertainment & nothing else. As has been stated its not a serious infomative programme & hasn't been for years. Remember the Yanks even refused them a visa stating they are an entertainment show so they went on holiday visas & winged it whilst taliking in glowing terms about the American Cars. This was clearly intended to influence the Yanks when or if they returned Stateside

Of course it's an entertainment show - just one with a car theme. It hasn't been about "motoring journalism" for years and years; even the BBC class it as entertainment!

This is why I don't understand why people moan about Top Gear - you watch it for the entertainment, and for the cars you'll likely never own, and the situations you'll likely never be in with them. You don't watch it if you can't decide between a Peugeot 307 or a Ford Mondeo.

(Plus, TG, inc JC, were actually quite favourable about the LFA. But downright slated the SC430. And back in the day, James May, for Top Gear, was quite favourable about the IS200 too)

I just watched James May IS200 vid. He did like it. I did say that they loved the LFA.

I wasn't complaining about the show, I know it's entertainment I just thought that they would like Lexus in general but obviously not. They did like the ISF as well but said the BMW was better. But they would wouldn't they! Lol....

Clarkson was also disgusted when Joanna Lumley told him she had ordered an RX when she was on the show.

I still think its a good show and I still watch it along with 5th gear etc.

So the reviews on the show are favourable such as the LFA, IS200, ISF, then why do they mock Lexus?

I was speaking more generally than specifically at anyone in particular, Chris

Lexus isn't really exciting, as a brand. They make lovely cars, hence why we drive them, but they aren't particularly exciting or inspiring. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, even VW and Ford, are known for making exciting an inspiring cars (the M3/M5, AMG Black, RS4/RS6, R32, RS/ST). Lexus have the LFA and the IS-F, but go out on the street and ask anyone to think of a performance BMW, and 99% will say M3 or M5. Ask them to name a performance Lexus and they'll scratch their head and look at you blankly.

Lexus doesn't make good television. They're known for being quiet, refined, and smooth, not for being loud, obnoxious and brutal

I think there's a lot to be said for being quiet, refined and smooth. I haven't owned a modern Lexus, my LS400 is now 14 years old, but I think it is best car I've ever owned (having had a range of sports cars). I would compare it in build quality to Porsche. I can't imagining going back to another brand (perhaps with the exception of another older 911 when I retire!).

I agree - I bought my Lexus because I wanted that quiet, refined and smooth ride. But quiet, refined and smooth doesn't make interesting television. Loud, obnoxious and brutal makes good television.

I agree - I bought my Lexus because I wanted that quiet, refined and smooth ride. But quiet, refined and smooth doesn't make interesting television. Loud, obnoxious and brutal makes good television.

Tell Top Gear if its loud, obnoxious and asbo brutal they want they could take a Subaru STI, Mitsu Lancer EVO, or Nissan GTR for a test drive one cant get loud or brutal like those performace Jap cars even a Honda S2000 is more obnoxious than an M3, RS4 or a porche carrera round a race track... infact i prefer how my Lexus drives becuase it gives me the smooth, refined drive when am not in the mood to kick some asphalt but once performance mode is activated the car behave differently to the right foot..yes I can hear the engine and exhaust of my mates 330Ci BMW but still prefer the Lex for having two sides to it.

mates of mine from my old job had a Type R and S2000 which i had a go in both one night after work about 5 years ago...have also been in an E46 M3 wanted to see what the fuss was about so test drove one at my local car dealers after seeing it parked for sale pretending i was interested to purchase. must admit havent driven any of those round a race track my self but i have watched counteless videos of German vs Japan performance cars and it looks like German cars are a bit over hyped when it comes to performance on a race track and drag race as that is where the true handling abilites, mechanical grip and speed comes in and not the badge or paper figures.

...a Honda S2000 is more obnoxious than an M3, RS4 or a porche carrera round a race track...

...must admit havent driven any of those round a race track my self but i have watched counteless videos of German vs Japan performance cars ...

Ah. I see. So, yet another claim from you that you can't substantiate with either proof or experience?

youtube will give you all the proof you want matt not me ... dont get me wrong I am not saying all Japanese cars are better than German cars but majority of them are almost equal or beat German cars which are held up so high by Top Gear and other UK car review companies but ounce you actually watch real owner challenges between them round a track or drag race you then realise German cars are a bit over hyped and priced. do any search on youtube between Japanese and German cars of roughly equal performance and you will see what i mean. you can even see a 1000bhp nissan skyline vs 1000bhp bughatti and the result is not what top gear whats you to see.

Once again you've missed the point. YOU said that a Honda S2000 is more obnoxious round a track than an M3, Audi or Porsche. That is a claim to fact. You cannot substantiate that fact because you have never driven an S2000, M3, Audi, Porsche - or in fact ANY car - round a track. So it's a claim you have made, that you cannot backup with proof or experience.

You then go on to say things about what Top Gear "gets you to see", but yet are basing your points on YouTube?

Oh dear oh dear...

matt forget the argument and take a look at this. the jap engine makes 900bhp not 1000bhp.

check the 1/4 mile figures at the end. you cant get any brutal than this matt even if bughatti wins the mile not by much and the driver paid £1000000 bucks for it aswell

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links