Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Car Cut Out For No Reason, The Re Started....whats The Problem

I have a Mk1 gs300 sport with about 140k on the clock

starts fine and drives well

the other day i started and drove the car for about 5 minutes then when overtaking it just cut out and died, managed to get to hard shoulder and tried to re start it, it turned over and fired but wouldnt catch, eventually after 5 minutes of not trying to start it, it fired up and i limped to a safer place, the AA eventually came out and i turned off the engine and it re started though it did sound like it was "hunting" a little.............sinc then its started and run fine, i do a 20 mile motorway journe 2 to 4 times a day wityh no signs of problems

the mechanic said it was impossible to say and their diagnostics probably wouldnt show anything as there was no warning lights coming on at all

this happened once before about 18 monthgs ago on the motorway where it just died and then after a minute or 2 it started and worked fine again, its been fine since apart from this one time

it had new timing belt fitted about 4 months ago as well as couple of other things

Does anyone have any ideas what it might be ............???????????????

There may be a stored code in the ECU memory even though the EML didn't illuminate but one thing that wouldn't generate a code is a lack of fuel either due to a fuel pump problem, fuel filter or the supply to the injectors.

Ignition related problems normally would flag a code.

• 3 weeks later...

• 5 months later...

Are you using cheap supermarket fuel? In some cases its been known to clog up the fuel filter. Reason supermarket fuel is cheap becsuse its out of

Date fuel and not very good for the engine (acccording to lexus dealers birmingham). I always use shell v power, okay it costs more but its good for the engine.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links