Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help Needed Please, Dodgy Man Been Hanging Around My Car!

Hi guys.

Need some advice please. Just had my neighbour come round to say that around lunch time today and old scruffy looking bloke was looking at my car. I park it on my drive facing forward. After he looked at the back. He came on to my drive looked at the wheels and front and then (this is what worries me!) he looked through the window into the car!

Now I'm highly concerned! Why would someone do this?

I'm considering 3 options....

1) fit a wheel clamp every night

2) fit a camera to my windscreen which is also motion activated at night

3) fit CCTV to the corner of my house

It's got me proper paranoid that this guy is doing a recce or something. I always keep my keys on my bedside table and never by the front door.

What would you do?

no matter how secure cars are they could still be stolen! there is always a way. I would beat him before he beats you. solution is find an alternative parking spot round your area maybe couple of street away from yours and park there for the next week or two. yes you mite have to walk a bit to your car but its good excersie all the same and when he comes back for couple of days and dont find the car parked he would give up and move on but make sure the alternative parking spot is well light and safe at night but certianly not close to your drive tho. CCTV is good but will only capture a theft being taking place and will take couple of weeks to be recovered by the police thats if you get lucky. steering lock will definatley prevent the car from being moved and make sure your tyres have locking wheel nuts aswell.

He might have just been admiring it mate. I check cars out like that all the time if I like them.

Not everybody is a thief fella, don't loose trust in humanity just cos there are a few thieving gits out there

:)

Yeah you could be right. Isn't it a sad state of affairs when you automatically think like that.

Well, the car is off to the in laws for tonight, taking no chances. I thought about taking out the fuses for the ecu, could you still use it then? Or how about the crank sensor?

He might have just been admiring it mate. I check cars out like that all the time if I like them.

Not everybody is a thief fella, don't loose trust in humanity just cos there are a few thieving gits out there

:)

Yeah you could be right. Isn't it a sad state of affairs when you automatically think like that.

Well, the car is off to the in laws for tonight, taking no chances. I thought about taking out the fuses for the ecu, could you still use it then? Or how about the crank sensor?

Just hope nothing happens to it whilst it is at your in laws. Lexus are more likely to be" stolen from" than stolen so leave nothing in the car. Does your alarm/immobiliser not work?

Yeah the alarm/immobiliser works but a couple of weeks back an X5 from down the road got pinched by taking the keys from the house, hence why I wanted it to be totally immobilised whether you have the keys or not

You could fit a gate to the end of ur drive and make sure it has a chain around it for a couple of weeks just to give off the impression that you cannot get it out no matter what. Perhaps you could fit a security light that is super bright and point it at the car and the road/houses around (obviously not do this permanently). If you have two cars on the drive block it in so it can't be driven off.

I wouldn't bother with CCTV it's more trouble than it's worth. Unless they record to hard-disk now? It just seems like a hassle changing tapes etc.. usually such bad quality you can only make out a blur. Probably cheaper to get yourself 4 Halfords wheel clamps.

We have 4 cars on our drive and I always make sure that each one is parked at a tight angle or boxed in so the doors cannot be accessed. Even on halloween, I made it difficult to get to our front door :D

Andy, what a terrific looking is200.......!

On the question of someone prowling, if it is someone planning to damage or steal he car, the best deterrent is for him to know that he is being watched or noticed when he is looking at the car, even by neighbors.....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links