Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I Had To Call Out The Aa Today [Blush]

The Battery had gone flat, my mechanic got me going, I set off to give the car a bit of a run, and then it just died on me about a quarter of a mile from home. Not a spark, so no brakes or steering and I couldn't close the sunroof. While I stood there with the bonnet open and an imaginary blanket over my head (Oh, the shame) the cheery AA man said that in twelve years the number of LS400s he's been called out to can't be more than in single figures, and that all of these call-outs have been related to flat batteries or punctures - no mechanical breakdowns whatsoever. When I thanked him for turning up so quickly he replied, "Nice to see a quality motor."

Anyway, I need a new Battery. Can anyone suggest the best place to get one fitted? And will I have to reset the VSC thing afterwards?

Following advice I got on here I enquired at the local Toyota dealer and was pleasantly surprised at the very reasonable price around £75 for such a big Battery. They then gave me a further 10% off when I mentioned I was a member of the Lexus owners club.

I now try Toyota first and they often come in cheaper for quite a few parts.

I only had to enter the code for my radio on my p reg.

The battery had gone flat, my mechanic got me going, I set off to give the car a bit of a run, and then it just died on me about a quarter of a mile from home. Not a spark, so no brakes or steering and I couldn't close the sunroof. While I stood there with the bonnet open and an imaginary blanket over my head (Oh, the shame) the cheery AA man said that in twelve years the number of LS400s he's been called out to can't be more than in single figures, and that all of these call-outs have been related to flat batteries or punctures - no mechanical breakdowns whatsoever. When I thanked him for turning up so quickly he replied, "Nice to see a quality motor."

Anyway, I need a new battery. Can anyone suggest the best place to get one fitted? And will I have to reset the VSC thing afterwards?

Had mine replaced by Lexus Reading for £57 which included coffee, packet of custard creams, morning paper and of course a pretty receptionist.

Mike

How long ago was that, Mike? Lexus Brighton no longer exists, and my local Toyota dealer has quoted £116 including fitting (and no coffee, custard creams or shoe polishing, presumably). An off-the-shelf Battery from Halfords is £92 or @112 (calcium), so maybe the Toyota quote isn't out of the way? Still more than I was expecting, though.

How long ago was that, Mike? Lexus Brighton no longer exists, and my local Toyota dealer has quoted £116 including fitting (and no coffee, custard creams or shoe polishing, presumably). An off-the-shelf battery from Halfords is £92 or @112 (calcium), so maybe the Toyota quote isn't out of the way? Still more than I was expecting, though.

18 months ago.

I couldn't believe that out of everyone Lexus were the cheapest.

Mike

How long ago was that, Mike? Lexus Brighton no longer exists, and my local Toyota dealer has quoted £116 including fitting (and no coffee, custard creams or shoe polishing, presumably). An off-the-shelf battery from Halfords is £92 or @112 (calcium), so maybe the Toyota quote isn't out of the way? Still more than I was expecting, though.

I do apologise it was £66 still ever so inexpensive.

Here the thread that backs it up.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=71931&hl=%2Bbattery+%2Blexus&fromsearch=1

Mike

I bet Toyota are charging 30 quid to just fit.

What's the price to just buy as its an easy job to fit providing you can lift it.

Don't forget to ask for your 10% you never know your luck.

What's the price to just buy as its an easy job to fit providing you can lift it.

Thats where the oboard toolkit comes handy - i used mine for the first time ever when i changed mine over

Thats where the oboard toolkit comes handy - i used mine for the first time ever when i changed mine over

I forget thats in there all pristine and brand new. I know I checked the torch when I bought the car and was surprised it worked but then that's Lexus.

Mike

I recently sold the complete toolkit from the 1997 LS I bought, the torch not only worked but had the original Japanese Panasonic batteries still in it. It would seem the torch batteries last longer than the Battery on the car!

When I changed my LS Battery earlier this year the Toyota branded Battery ( incidentally the ONLY Battery that would fit the Mk3 ) was ever so good value compared to the other suppliers ( as if they could ) and I asked for a complimentary re-fit of the Battery and Lexus said NO and that the workshop would charge me some £60 to fit !!!!

They clearly really don't want business do they !!

Malc

Lexus Brighton are no more, so I don't have any means of comparing prices. But my independent mechanic thinks the quote from Toyota for £116 including fitting is reasonable, since Toyota batteries are usually fine and the even better Bosch one (with a 4-year guarantee) that he's fitting later today costs £114. No idea how long the current one has been on the car, and - as the AA man confirmed - when they go, they just go. Who remembers the old days when you used to top up the cells with distilled water?

Distilled water and bataid tablets.....those were the bad old days. I think new batteries are pretty good nowadays and I don't miss messing about with Battery acid one bit as I've seen how nasty that stuff can be.

Distilled water and bataid tablets.....those were the bad old days. I think new batteries are pretty good nowadays and I don't miss messing about with battery acid one bit as I've seen how nasty that stuff can be.

Lost many a good t-shirt carrying leaky old batteries about,,

the next time you put them on they were allways full of holes where

the acid had got on them..lol

the good/bad old days

Alan

There are still plenty of batteries about that are not sealed, I have two starter batteries on my campervan as well as a leisure Battery, and one leisure Battery on my caravan - all have removable caps to check/top up fluid.

Not sure about the Lexus, will have a look when Mrs V returns with an empty tank to fill.

Malc said above that only a Toyota Battery would fit his Mk.3, and the very smart, blue Bosch Battery that my mechanic brought round yesterday evening was simply too long to fit onto the tray of my Mk.4. So maybe I'll have to get a Toyota one.

I changed the batteries on my prior Mk1 and Mk2 LS400s with non-Toyota but KNOW that only the Toyota specific will fit the Mk3

Malc

And I didn't pay Toyota / Lexus the £60 to re-fit the Battery that was simply a 2 minute job !!!

I think they could have offered a complimentary fit as I paid FULL price for it !

Rant over. :whistling:

Malc

When i had my Mark 3 i bought a Battery from the local motorfactors and it fitted without any problems - was still fine after i sold it 3 years later. I have did the same with my Mark 4 - bought it from Unipart - slotted straight in

HTH

Malc said above that only a Toyota battery would fit his Mk.3, and the very smart, blue Bosch battery that my mechanic brought round yesterday evening was simply too long to fit onto the tray of my Mk.4. So maybe I'll have to get a Toyota one.

If you go on to europarts site and search for a 99 ls400 Battery, there is a Bosch Battery listed complete with dimensions to help you check before buying.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links