Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

About To Buy My First Is And Very Excited! But Need Some Advice...

Im set on getting a IS, in fact its been a car ive wanted for years but insurance has never allowed me one! anyway finally im getting one and am super excited, its everything I want in a car and feel it fits my needs perfectly. Ive been looking for a while now and want one in flawless condition which seems quite a task but I need to know one thing. is it really worth the hassle me trying to source one with navigation, is the system really that good compared to GPS systems of today. I plan on getting a double din touch screen interface anyway and feel the IS's system would be dated anyway, however its just cool isnt it, a pop up screen at the top and am wondering if i get one without if ill regret not finding one with it. I cant seem to find any info or demos on it. how good is it guys and is it worth it, or will a 2 din dash integrated GPS interface cut it.

Also people tell me this, do all IS have power folding mirrors as standard? also what is the best colour to go for? I actually dont really take to red... blue seems nice but even though ive never taken to silver cars the silver on the IS suites in well I think... I would love a white one but there rare. and black I dont take to, seems too bland somehow? any advice? I also really like the cream interior IS's but also seems less common.

Tell me your thoughts and experiences when you bought your first IS :)

OEM satnav is lush but you can retrofit any 5 to 7 inch aftermarket satnav into the popup screen if you can source the parts ;) (there is a link for that in the downloads) I wouldn't go for a double din satnav unit as the screen will be sitting to low.... I'd use one that is a multi media (ipod/mp3/video) as you can't really look at the screen while driving ;)

Silver is really nice but so is Kessington Green, Blue, Anthracite or the vibrant Yellow.

The creamy leather interior is very prone to stains and dirt so I would go for black leather...

First experience? Very nice car, electric everything, heated seats, remote unlocking for the boot etc etc etc nice shape that is still up to date...

What model to buy? go for the IS200 SPORT... most options (metal pedals & footrest/LSD/ lowered suspension/17 inch diamond cut wheels/leather/ heated electric front seats) usually with the aerokit and boot spoiler.

Next up is the IS200 SE ( without aerokit/boot spoiler/metal pedals & footrest/LSD/Lowered suspension/ only driver seat electric)

Next is the IS200 LE like 200 SE but without leather interior (budget version) and not heated manual front seats

take your pick just remember that the is200 isn't easy to upgrade to higher luxury unless you have a donor car and swap the interior loom over completely together with the updates

My SE has both electric seats. I love the sport but it's quite subjective. I'm not as keen on the way they ride and prefer the slightly softer sprung SE.

But we've got an early Eunos Roadster for a sporty drive and the IS would never have matched up to that, so the SE it was for us!

Power fold mirrors and heated seats are nice!

I have the S model, the one without the electric seats and sat nav. One thing that I have noticed on a lot of IS' is that the half leather seats on the SE model can look like a plastic bag, especially if it's been used a lot. So if you are wanting a clean look without the gadgets then I recommend the S model.

Two things, don't expect good mileage and also don't expect a sports car. If you accept this then you will be a very happy IS owner.

Picked mine up recently, the best advice I found on the forum was to go for the best car you can find (milage and condition) regardless of spec as you can add your own "touches" later.

I think the blue and dark grey cars look the best followed by silver.

Also take your time, the right car will be out there just keep an eye on the net but be ready to act quick when you find it (found mine on gumtree and had deposit down 3 hours after it was advertised) the good ones seem to go FAST !

I've only had mine a short time, but spent a fair while reading up on them prior to buying, and of course after buying. The Sport didn't come with any different wheels or bodykit as standard (other than a rear spoiler) - the "Aero" kit (which is actually either a TRD kit of front lip, rear lip and skirts, and optional raised spoiler, or a TTE kit which is an all in one bumper and grille, with matching rear lip) were factory options, as were the 6 spoke 18" rims.

Mileage, well I'd always try and go for the least miles as possible, but it's a trade off between three things; price, condition (inc how it's been looked after) and miles. Mines got 85k, but I felt it had been looked after better (as far as servicing and having whatever needed doing, etc) better than a lower mileage one I saw.

As for spec, Sport is the better spec, on paper, but it really depends on whether you want manual or auto. If you want manual, you might as well shoot for a Sport (since it's a better spec, and [most] Sports have the LSD box, whereas the manual SE's don't have an LSD), but if you want auto then go for an SE, because the Sports didn't come with an auto box. Regarding add on parts - the problem I've read most about with IS's is trying to add stuff to a car that never came with them, because unlike other manufacturers that put identical looms in allcars then just plug stuff in as it goes up the spec tree, Lexus didn't. Case in point is the Nav - if you get one without Nav, then buy a Nav unit, you don't have any of the cabling or loom to plug it into. It just isn't there. And since the Nav units are so dear anyway (just the motorised screen unit is around £200 second hand - the control unit plus discs are another couple hundred) plus needing to have it custom wired in, it's just not worth it.

I wanted the stock Nav in mine, but went with one without it in the end - reason being is it was the least important thing on the car to me. I already have three Tom Toms, so it's no big deal to use one of those, and the stock Nav is out of date anyway, in regards to features and style (I'm not 100% sure if the maps are still being updated by Lexus, but you can bet that most IS' will have the original ten year old map disc in it, and getting a new one from Lexus will be double the cost of going and buying a TomTom or other stand alone satnav!). The only reason I wanted to get a car with the standard Nav in it was to rip it out, and replace the screen with either a large widescreen TomTom, or whack a 7" screen in it and hook it up to a reverse camera.

Regarding colours - obviously that's a personal preference. Personally, I really don't like the green or the black (and I like black cars, just not on the IS for some reason) or the really light blue (Kodiak Sky?). Also not a fan of red, but the blue is nice, the yellow is lovely, white is gorgeous, and the silver - which at first I really didn't like - is the one I went for, and have really grown to love (probably cos it's not a "true" silver, but more a platinum - hence it's name, Platinum Ice). The grey is also really nice; lovely metallic sparkle effect to it. When it comes to body kits, factory TRD or TTE ones, my personal thought is that the dark cars; black, blue, green, grey, work best with the TRD kit, and the lighter cars; silver, yellow, white, work best with the TTE kit. Red is the middle ground, since I think it works with both. I saw a white one recently that had a "Jap style" front bumper on it (not quite Fast n Furious - bit more restrained, but along those lines) with the "Sports" option grille, lowered, and had either a black or carbon skinned roof, matching deep rear bumper and tiny lip spoiler on the boot that actually looked really nice! Not sure I'd do the same myself, but it did look good and different, without being too OTT - still quite subtle...

I have the LE model = brought out in 2004 fully loaded as the passing out model before the upgraded / facelifted one came in - Its an auto box - Full leather / electric everything / parking sensors / arm rest / nav (although i dont think this was a standard option on the LE) / 17" 11 spoke alloys / HID lights - they are quite hard to find ...

I think it has the better spec over the SE model and possibly the sport, depends on what you want?

^ As I understood, and I may be wrong, the LE 200 is all the kit that came on the 300, but in a 200 isn't it? IE, the full leather, armrest, parking sensors, etc, and with option wheels as standard. Does it have the 4 speed or 5 speed auto box?

Thanks for the comments! what a nice friendly community we've got here. i should of been more specific. Im looking for a SE Auto pre 2001 so im not paying out the roof for tax. Im not considering the Sport because im buying the car for its comfort and ride, and great reliability not to mention they looks awesome. im in the process of selling my Ford Focus auto (sorry for swearing!) but once gone i will need to find a IS fast.

Ok so what ive learnt is that even tho the IS came with a crap load of standard kit there were still options, however I think most of the standard options are the ones i most care about anyway (except for the navi) for example, not to fussed about the power passenger seat because it tends to stay in one position.... not to bothered about HID because they can be retro fitted, what else? well i love the sports grill but i can get one of those off eBay, and i will be fitting aftermarket parking sensors too.

Very good point about the double din being low down, i actually messaged someone who had done the same and asked him what the viewing angle was like from the driving position but have not had a response, i cant image it being great, especially being touch screen... hmm well i think I may reconsider trying to source one with it, however like you said if the right car comes up i wont turn it down just for that, becuase i have noticed the good ones get snapped up.

Im looking for one with no more that 115k miles, but preferably between 80k and 100k. I want one in silver, white, gold, blue or wasnt champagne a colour too? in between gold and silver? I dont like the Green,red.yellow or black ones. undecided about grey.

It seems most IS's ive looked at have been well looked after and have a good service record, not surprising for a car of its type. although ive seen some trashed ones too :(

Ive got 2 cars that really am temped by atm so tell me your thoughts.... (btw trying to find one tinted to save me the hassle)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170896562675?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1203

Cons:

- stupid after market wheels! grrr!

Pros:

- long MOT

- new brakes

- new shocks (tend to need replacing around this mileage ive found)

- service history

- Tinted

- sports grill

- Navi

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200794849709?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_745wt_1165

Cons:

- needs 1x shock

- needs new discs and pads rear

- No navi

- alloys need refurb

Pros:

- Price!

- Tinted

- private number plate!

- bodywork good condition

- leccy seats x2

- Long MOT

- HID lights

- service history

There are others ive found, but these 2 are at the top of my list atm, also due to being not to far from where i live. im looking everyday to see what new pops up.

Oh btw i thought i saw a update dvd for sale somewhere, cant find it atm

First one will be the one you want! The reason being the other one will set you back way more if you get it sorted + it does have the satnav you wanted.

Changing the wheels is cheaper then adding a screen afterwards ;) if you order them at the dealer they will set you back 380 for a set of 4 brand new OEM wheels (yes those are the 17 inch diamond cut wheels)

and if you want a spare OEM just buy one of a scrappy ;) they'll ask around 30 to 70 depending on the state of the tyre and wheel.

First one will be the one you want! The reason being the other one will set you back way more if you get it sorted + it does have the satnav you wanted.

Changing the wheels is cheaper then adding a screen afterwards ;) if you order them at the dealer they will set you back 380 for a set of 4 brand new OEM wheels (yes those are the 17 inch diamond cut wheels)

and if you want a spare OEM just buy one of a scrappy ;) they'll ask around 30 to 70 depending on the state of the tyre and wheel.

Thats very cheap! and diamond cut too? i thought they were only on the sport? think your right though, changing the wheels is a easy fix and would look better off in the long run too.

This ones come up too. Looks immaculate.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201218467783788/sort/default/usedcars/transmission/automatic/price-to/2000/model/is/make/lexus/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/sy35ep/page/1/radius/60?logcode=p

the last one you've found (autotrader) is comparable to the other with the added bonus of not spending money on wheels + it is from a car dealer = exchange focus + you can get waranty! I'd be on the phone if I was you ;)

the last one you've found (autotrader) is comparable to the other with the added bonus of not spending money on wheels + it is from a car dealer = exchange focus + you can get waranty! I'd be on the phone if I was you ;)

Im worried theyll give me bugger all though, ill be honest havent got alot of spare cash lying around. however i did call them and they are interested in my focus so may pop down...

Before you go, pop your reg into we buy anycar.com, won't cost you anything and will give you something to gauge their offers against.

If you don't want them emailing you every day until their offer expires, set up a hotmail just for them.

Webuyanycar give you proper rubbish offers. They offered me 2 grand below book on my Prius when I thought I'd try them for a laugh.

They're for cash strapped desperate people.

Agreed, they offered me about 30% lower than my last car actually sold for...

• 2 weeks later...

Well picked up my IS today and driving it back was amazing! i love it! amazing car, cant believe how good it sounds too for only a 2.0L. Ended up getting on with navi 97k miles and just had a 500 pound service! very happy. will get some pics up. the navi is dated as i expected tho, but its cool to have.

ok but some questions:

it had its cambelt done at 53k, the owner recommended it doing in the next 3k miles but arent they easily good for 60k? when do you think it should be done?

Also im a bit confused because i thought automatic SE's had raised armrests? mine doesnt though. can i retro fit one? it really should have one as standard.

Proud to be part of the IS community now.

Recommended cambelt change is 60k or 5 years (or is it 6 years?), but it wouldn't be unwise to do it 10k sooner, so 50k intervals would be perfectly fine.

None of the IS200 range had front armrests; only the IS300.

You can retro fit one, but they aren't cheap. I just bought and fitted one to mine (see here - http://www.lexusowne...showtopic=78770). I paid £100, and there's one just about to finish on eBay for roughy the same price, if you're quick; http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649 (real quick, it finishes in 23 mins!)

Get some pics up of it, and welcome to IS driving :)

Recommended cambelt change is 60k or 5 years (or is it 6 years?), but it wouldn't be unwise to do it 10k sooner, so 50k intervals would be perfectly fine.

None of the IS200 range had front armrests; only the IS300.

You can retro fit one, but they aren't cheap. I just bought and fitted one to mine (see here - http://www.lexusowne...showtopic=78770). I paid £100, and there's one just about to finish on ebay for roughy the same price, if you're quick; http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649 (real quick, it finishes in 23 mins!)

Get some pics up of it, and welcome to IS driving :)

Good job with the armrest, being a auto especially i seriously need one. I fitted a universal armrest to my focus but had to screw into the centre tunnel (lexus ouch!). but worked a treat. that oem one went for 120! thats mad, its now on MY long list of things to do though...

The last few I've watched have gone for between £120 and £150 - the breakers I've contacted want between £180 and £220!!! I paid £100 for mine - which is still a lot for an armrest, but it is mint, came with everything including the bolts, and the all important magnet blank, and was still cheaper than the ones on fleabay

Nice one! I love mine too.

Nope, the arm rest wasn't standard fit on an SE. Mine doesn't have one either.

I like the Auto. Only being a four speed gives it limitations, but I've found it's just the change between first and second gears that is too long so 0-60 suffers. However once above 40mph I think the car is great and very good for overtaking etc.

• 2 weeks later...

OEM satnav is lush but you can retrofit any 5 to 7 inch aftermarket satnav into the popup screen if you can source the parts ;) (there is a link for that in the downloads) I wouldn't go for a double din satnav unit as the screen will be sitting to low.... I'd use one that is a multi media (ipod/mp3/video) as you can't really look at the screen while driving ;)

Silver is really nice but so is Kessington Green, Blue, Anthracite or the vibrant Yellow.

The creamy leather interior is very prone to stains and dirt so I would go for black leather...

First experience? Very nice car, electric everything, heated seats, remote unlocking for the boot etc etc etc nice shape that is still up to date...

What model to buy? go for the IS200 SPORT... most options (metal pedals & footrest/LSD/ lowered suspension/17 inch diamond cut wheels/leather/ heated electric front seats) usually with the aerokit and boot spoiler.

Next up is the IS200 SE ( without aerokit/boot spoiler/metal pedals & footrest/LSD/Lowered suspension/ only driver seat electric)

Next is the IS200 LE like 200 SE but without leather interior (budget version) and not heated manual front seats

take your pick just remember that the is200 isn't easy to upgrade to higher luxury unless you have a donor car and swap the interior loom over completely together with the updates

I have a Lexus IS200 LE it comes with 17inch wheels full Black Leather Interior HIDS and rear parking sensors, also all Mirrors Tint when a car comes behinde you and they are Power Fold also has full Electric adjust seats. The LE was only avaliable in Grey and had a Black front grill you could get them in 2.0 and 3.0 built between 2003 and 2004. The only thing mine does not have is the Sat Nav.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links