Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Still Low Mpg After Following All Thread Advise

Hi Guys

Ive recentley purchased an 2006 IS 220D SE and mainly do motorway driving as i'm in the forces. Did my first long run the other day and only got 30.8 Mpg, so i had a look on here and follwed all the advise of resetting my ECU, Checking my tyre pressures, EGR cleaned, 5th injector has been done, ECU update has been done. So did another long run with hardly no traffic and still only got 32 Mpg!

Is it possible that my trip could be dodgy as i seem to get roughly the same Mpg if i'm motorway cruising or on a mix of A & B roads? Or is this just the norm for these cars?

Any help or suggestions on this situation would be greatly appreciated!

I have a 2006.

At 70 on cruise in 6th it gives approx 48 mpg. At 85 it drops below 40 and so on...not as I would speed, of course!! So motorway mpg is speed dependent.

Hard to say round town as it depends on lights, traffic, aircon etc.

My mixed driving is usually about 40.

You can do 70 in sixth gear? And 48 seems optimistic.

My car has never gave great mpg but at 70 in fifth gear I get around 43mpg which I feel s acceptable and fairly typical of these cars.

Carl

This proves without boubt there is a lot of variations in mpg for the diesel engine.

Mine was a 2007 model. I got 39-42 around town and on short run to work.

On a trip I would get 48 -54mpg.

Never used 6th gear(useless) always stuck with 5th gear, cruise control and about 74mph.

My son, who drives the car now, gets 48 on his travels around the country.

There is a huge variation and some cars get better than other. One thing that OP has left out is to clean the MAF sensor. My mpg is same as his at around 30 -33mpg for most trips. I have also done everything advised here , so my last try is going to be the MAF sensor clean. After that I have to accept it and move on. I have seen other posts here from 06 56 and 07 plate cars being the ones with (normally) bad mileage complaints. It does then seem that Lexus fixed something in the engine after 08.

Hi Guys

Is it possible that my trip could be dodgy as i seem to get roughly the same Mpg if i'm motorway cruising or on a mix of A & B roads?

Any help or suggestions on this situation would be greatly appreciated!

The best way to check consumption is to brimfill before and after your runs. Could be your OBC isn't very accurate and needs to be re-set but brimfilling will overcome this.

mine was as bad as that but still full of crap ... took ages to clean it 100%

The key is trying not to allow loose bits to fall in the inlet. I had a Hoover sucking over the area I was cleaning.

Car does feel a little more responsive now and hopefully a few mpg better.

Carl

I have done most of the things above,and with careful driving the most I have seen it 42mpg. To be honest my average hovers around 31mpg. I have just had to accept that it will never reach the 60+mpg I had out of my last diesel(Citroen c5). I think your best bet is to just to drive the car and enjoy it.

very true .... was your C5 as fast as the Lexus ... I came from a mondeo 1.8 gutless thing ... 25 mpg ( petrol )

my 220d is very much faster and pulls a lot more so if I get an average of 35mpg I'll be happy ...so the 43 mpg today was a bonus :D

You're right of course the c5 was as fast as Continental drift. Enjoying my lexus more. Saying that, the fuel economy isn't the first thing I check when buying. I think they should have a warning in the manual. Beware:- this car will cause you much enjoyment, till something goes wrong, then kiss your wallet goodbye.

My 2009 model returns low 40's on a run and mid 30's average. When I told Lexus I thought that was poor (certainly very poor compared to the usual German suspects), they said I was doing very well compared to what they usually saw.

6th Gear is utterly useless below 80Mph as any slight incline will cause the car to slow and grumble. My EGR valve is spotless and the car has done just 27K miles. Tyres are well inflated. The car seems to have a flat spot around 1800 RPM which coincides with 6th at 74 Mph. I have started to add a cleaner to the fuel to keep the EGR clean.

Anyone who is getting 50+ MPG must be driving at 55, downhill :-)

1st you all need to know that there are 3 different final gears at IS220d.

3.2, 2.9 and 2.4

that is A BIG reason in difference for MPG or l/100km.

and also this too:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=79145

this is my consumption:

http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/490171.html

town sharp driving 90%

dpf & 5th inj. were removed at the end of March

enjoy

Hi all and thanks for the advice, i think i might have to just accept the poor mpg! I did another long run today after i cleaned the egr again, checked tyre pressures, reset the trip, reset the ecu and still only managed 34.8. Im not exspecting 50+ mpg but i'd be happy with anything more than 40! I might try the mod shigo posted, any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Cleaned the crap out of my 2006 is220d EGR and it has had no effect at all, still lucky to get 25mpg which is roughly the same as the 5litre V8 IS-F!!!!! a full tank would only get me 280 miles!!! will be contacting the main dealer tomorrow for answers.

Your are right about the ISF, I get about 320 miles from a tank

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links