Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Took my '98 LS400 for it's MOT yesterday, I suppose there are lots of us in The Lexus Owners Club who own and run these great cars, but dread, as the years roll by, the MOT process, as things turned out, all the car needed,was a replacement sidelight-bulb,I got a good eyeball under the car, as it was up on the lift-couldn't believe how clean and corrosion-free the exhaust-system, brake pipes and other components were, -but then, (stating the bleeding obvious)-it's a well-built car, and made to last longer than the average commercial crap-

That dreaded lightbulb failure ...... I understand other owners might have suffered the same fate too ............... they don't build 'em like they used to you know. :whistling:

I've changed two rear stop bulbs over 3 x LS400s in 10 years ......... wot next !

Malc

That dreaded lightbulb failure ...... I understand other owners might have suffered the same fate too ............... they don't build 'em like they used to you know. :whistling:

I've changed two rear stop bulbs over 3 x LS400s in 10 years ......... wot next !

Malc

Its just not good enough. Mine sailed through for the second year running no advisories a few weeks back. My Garage is really P****d off as that's about all I go there for now and a yearly service. Mike

I have owned a Land Cruiser Colorado (1999) for six years and never had a fail, other than the ABS sensor last year, the dash warning light had been on for some time though!! She is just coming up to 128000 miles and passed this week with an advisory of light corrosion on the rear brake pipes. The LS400 I bought a few months ago is 182000 miles and has a ticket to July. I hope there are no nasty surprises as the current MoT had no advisories. I do believe that the older Toyotas were built to a better standard than now, they have after all had lots of recalls of late!!!

Merry Christmas to all.

Mark.

Much the same with mine, 1st MOT was at one of those Quick Fit type places and although it passed they put an advisory on front discs and flexible brake pipes.

2nd MOT at my local garage produced a pass without any advisories even though I never replaced the brake parts.

3rd MOT same garage eventually passed after I re- explained the position of the rear fog light switch ( retrofit as it is an import).

4th MOT Straight pass no complications this year with a sticker indicating the fog light switch.

5th MOT Failed on lower front balljoints, replaced with OEM,retested and passed, no advisories

6th MOT Straight pass but a verbal warning that parking brake was only just efficient enough, removed drums,cleaned off the rust inside,roughened up the brake shoes and readjusted shoes.

I'm getting used to the phenomenon of MOT passes, even though the Lex is one of the oldest cars I've ever owned. At test-time this year I said to my mechanic, 'You mean it passed?' Answer: 'Of course.'

I had a weird advisory last time - one headlight will need replacing soon as the perspex(?) lens is yellowed. I suspect the only reason the MOT inspector has noticed it is because the other headlight is new - replaced when someone slid into it last Christmas. When you look at them both together the 12 year old one is a lot yellower than the newer one. I think it means a new headlight doesn't it - and they cost a bit.

Mike

I had a weird advisory last time - one headlight will need replacing soon as the perspex(?) lens is yellowed. I suspect the only reason the MOT inspector has noticed it is because the other headlight is new - replaced when someone slid into it last Christmas. When you look at them both together the 12 year old one is a lot yellower than the newer one. I think it means a new headlight doesn't it - and they cost a bit.

Mike

There are products on the market that will shine them up and bring the dulling off wether it removes the yellowing I can't say.

Mike

Headlight, assuming it's a run of the mill d2s bulb isn't that expensive....about £25 Philips branded..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links