Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Buying Advice For An Is200

Adgti

Hiya gang....the IS200 I've been looking to buy this week, I've a few things I'd like some advice to.

It's a 2001 on a Y plate with a 130k miles and some service history. Has had cambelt done between 110 and 125k although present owner has only had the car for 5 months and has no receipt for this. Has 2 keys.

Done a HPi check and it's come back all clear with no record of any accidents etc. It comes up as a Lexus IS200 SE in the report but this car has a rear spoiler with brake light (looks standard) , side skirts and a sport grille. Is this right ? Is this a sport model?

Current owner says he's had exhaust replaced at a price of £260, and that he was advised a lamba sensor would be needed soon. CD has error 3 code. alloys laquer is peeling. O/S rear bumper has popped out slightyl on the side of the rear quarter under the rear light cluster....can this be easily popped back in? The Lex also has had 10 owners as well....but comes with old mots, some service history and 2 keys.

7 months MOT and 3 months Tax

No knocks or scrapes and looks pretty mint too.

Good buy for £1400 ??

Advice appreciated so my entry into the Lexus world is a happy one ;-)

"The cambelt was replaced between 110-125,000 miles" There is normally a sticker somewhere in the engine compartment stating the mileage and date. Sounds a little iffy to me and I wouldn't be happy not knowing for sure if it had been done.

Also seems to have had a lot of owners which would make me think why and why is the present owner selling it after only owning it for 5 months?

Sounds like it also needs some cosmetic work.

£1400.00 in my opinion is too much, I know of a one owner 53 plate with 76,000 miles for only £1500.00.

As steve says its a bit expensive for what it is, you should be able to find a better deal mate. Try autotrader as well, I got mine which had fsh and 94k 3 owners from new and a private plate, got it for £1200. So bargains are out there.

As previous posts sounds over priced. Don't like the sound of the cambelt. If it was done at Lexus the engine cover will be stamped like this:-

A6C678A0-38AF-44EF-B86C-C8304CC9CA6E-3215-000003AA5816D23B_zpsda2ee692.jpg

Also having a spoiler and styling kit doesn't make it a sport. Sounds like an SE with a kit on it.

The sport has, alloy pedals, 2 tone steering wheel, lower suspension, tinted back windows.

Thanks very much guys....I dig this site because the Lexus lads are quick and very helpful!! That's why I'm chomping at the bit to get one and join the club!!

Have found out the cambelt was done by a previous owners dad who was a mechanic so it's a risk!!

Just want my Lexus experience to be a good one after selling my Vectra C Sri 2.2 DTi which has been a good un !

All advice has been taken on board ! ;-)

Don't risk it or tempted by the bodykits etc... 10 owner its a turn off for me unless i've a car mechanics to have the car proper checked :nuke: :nuke: look around before any final decision :zee: good luck

10 owners aswell! Wow I missed that on 1st read. And I thought I was taking a risk as mine had 4 previous owners!

It's a buyers market for a 1st gen IS. Plenty of good examples still out there for not a lot of money. Be patient and the right one will come along :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links